Author Topic: RIPE Atlas Probe Trouble - Solution  (Read 6689 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: RIPE Atlas Probe Trouble - Solution
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 04:51:12 PM »
Great, and you've done it nicely in the Saratoga.  I may try doing that as well as I had only added it to www.komokaweather.com not www.komokaweather.ca

Glad to hear yours got connected again.

Paul

All you have to do is copy the code I posted and then save it as a PHP file. Of course you'll have to modify a few lines so the links point to your RIPE Atlas and the descriptive text but that is pretty quick and easy to do. Then, you'll have to modify the flyout-menu.xml file to add the menu link to the new ripeatlas-xxxxx.php file you created. That's the filename I used so I wouldn't forget what it was being used for.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 07:38:48 PM »
I did get it added to www.komokaweather.ca/wxripe-atlas.php

Thanks Don,

Paul

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 11:22:19 AM »
Looks good Paul. Now, all I need to do is figure what all of those graphs and numbers mean and whether I really care about them or not.  :lol:
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 12:01:25 PM »
+1 my thoughts as well Don.  And then I also have the SamKnows http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31307.msg319126#msg319126 graphs #-o

I've tried to understand what the API key can offer but don't quite understand what I would use it for.

Shall we start an auction on our surplus credits?

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 12:10:10 PM »
+1 my thoughts as well Don.  And then I also have the SamKnows http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31307.msg319126#msg319126 graphs #-o

I've tried to understand what the API key can offer but don't quite understand what I would use it for.

Shall we start an auction on our surplus credits?

Enjoy,
Paul
\:D/

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2017, 12:26:19 AM »
My RIPE Atlas went down again with a corrupted USB flash drive. They want me to reformat the drive. When I go to do that, I notice the format routine says the drive is only 1GB and it wants to format it with FAT file system. This flash drive is a Vebatim 8GB and I am wondering if I should use FAT32 or NTFS. Although both of them still limit the drive to 1GB. I'm trying to format using a nearly new Win10Pro laptop.

Hmmm, tried formatting using NTFS but now get a message saying the drive is write protected. Also tried both FAT and FATA32 formats with the same results. Am thinking I have a bricked flash drive...

Does anyone know where to find these tiny USB flash drives and/or what part number for them?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2017, 07:24:06 AM »
I just bought a package of cheap USB drives, 8gb, and put one in and quick format, and it has been stable for a couple of months now.

Paul

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2017, 11:08:46 AM »
I just bought a package of cheap USB drives, 8gb, and put one in and quick format, and it has been stable for a couple of months now.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Things seemed to be stable until yesterday. It does look like my USB drive has died. Can't do anything with it. Did you get your package of drives on-line? If so, where did you get them?

EDIT: Found a 5-pack of SandDisk 8GB mini USB drives on ebay
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:32:55 AM by W3DRM »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2017, 11:50:47 AM »

Hi Don,
I just picked them up at Staples - I think they were Lexar 5 pack on sale at under $15.00 and normal size (not the mini)

Paul

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2017, 11:55:46 AM »

Hi Don,
I just picked them up at Staples - I think they were Lexar 5 pack on sale at under $15.00 and normal size (not the mini)

Paul

I wanted the mini size to keep space usage down. Got 'em on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/152037813303). They were $27.95 for a pack of 5 and free shipping. We are rural here and don't have any big office supply stores close-by that carry these kinds of things. Have to find stuff on-line most of the time...

Offline BCJKiwi

• Forecaster
    • Silver Acorn Weather - N.Z.
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2017, 04:22:13 PM »
Been through this a number of times as well.

Best solution so far;
Download and use this program:-
SDFormatter from the SD association - designed specifically for SD drives.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

This program 'recovered' SD cards that were otherwise "write protected" / un-useable.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 04:24:10 PM by BCJKiwi »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2017, 10:41:28 AM »
Been through this a number of times as well.

Best solution so far;
Download and use this program:-
SDFormatter from the SD association - designed specifically for SD drives.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

This program 'recovered' SD cards that were otherwise "write protected" / un-useable.

Thanks for the formatter link but, no luck with the SD Formatter. Card still shows as write-protected...  :(

I am thinking my RIPE Atlas itself is bad since even a new full-size 8GB USB drive isn't working either. Have tried everything I can think of. Waiting to hear from the RIPE support group.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
Well, after several weeks of corresponding with RIPE Atlas support they have finally decided my RIPE Atlas is bad. A new one is now on its way. Hopefully, this new one will work correctly. The old one merely corrupts each new or old USB drive I plug in. None of the formatters work once the drive gets corrupted so the old one must be doing something to them that makes them unusable.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2017, 05:03:11 PM »
My new replacement RIPE Atlas Probe arrived today. Installation was a snap and it immediately came on-line without any problems at all. The new probe has a white USB drive in it. No markings as to who the manufacturer is though. Will watch it to see if it gives me any problems like the old one did.

My new probe ID is 32849.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 07:11:21 PM »
Hi Don,
What did you have to do to get a new unit?u

Mine is still working with the replacement USB but it seems to fail about every 6 weeks or so.  I then do a reformat and all is good with the current full size USB.

[/size]
[/size]Paul[size=78%]

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 09:46:41 PM »
Hi Don,
What did you have to do to get a new unit?

Mine is still working with the replacement USB but it seems to fail about every 6 weeks or so.  I then do a reformat and all is good with the current full size USB.
Paul

Well, mine died completely on May 2nd and I couldn't get it to restart even after installing several new 8gb USB drives. Formatting didn't help either. I tried numerous different ways of getting the probe to restart but, all failed. I had a steady power light and one or two of the other lights would blink but the probe would never connect to the network. All of this various troubleshooting was done in conjunction with my communicating with the RIPE support group. Again, nothing seemed to work and they finally asked if I wanted to continue with the program. I said yes. So, about three weeks ago they sent me an email saying they were sending me a new probe and to let them know when I got it installed. It arrived today and I've now gone through the steps to register it and get it running again. The install was easy but it took several hours before I saw actual data flowing in the reports. When I installed the new probe, I purposely used the same power and ethernet cables to see if they could have been the cause of the problem. Apparently not because it came up running immediately.

Now, it's just a matter of monitoring to see if I have any issues with this new probe. I've had one two-minute dropout since the new installation and don't know why that happened. Otherwise, everything is running normally.

One last thing - when my probe died, I noticed that I could no longer reformat the original USB drive that came with the unit. So, my assumption is that something internally with the probe damaged or wrote something to the usb drive that rendered it unusable. Probably an internal hardware malfunction of the probe itself. That's just a guess though.

Best of luck to you with yours!