Author Topic: I suspect Foscam might be having bigger issues than I thought  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

We, Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies), are an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. However, we are deeply saddened to report that, even after all of this, our overseas suppliers have decided to undercut us and supply to our major customers directly. For this reason, we have no choice but to suspend telephone support for all Foscam branded products. If you have purchased a Foscam camera directly from us or from one of our authorized retailers, technical support is still available via email at support@foscam.us.

For customers who have not purchased from us directly, we advise you to please contact Foscam Shenzhen or the distributor which you have purchased from. In the meantime, we have launched our own new brand of IP cameras called Amcrest, which has superior quality products and full telephone technical support 7 days per week. We hope you can support us in our new venture. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com.

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
Re: I suspect Foscam might be having bigger issues than I thought
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 08:43:09 AM »
Earlier this year I bought two foscam IP cameras and signed up for Foscam Cloud.  Shortly after I could not log on to the cloud.  I couldn't change passwords, cancel the service, nothing.  After spending an hour with phone support they claimed they could do nothing I had to use email support.  I opened up multiple tickets and finally after two weeks I got a reply.  While I finally got things working OK, it was apparent support was almost nonexistent.  I guess I bought the wrong brand of camera.  The only good news is they are performing at the moment.

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 08:59:47 AM »
Foscam Digital Technologies apparently had no long term binding contract with supplier to prevent this. Really a shame but guess when you deal with the devil things like this can happen. This is what China does when given a chance.
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 12:55:24 PM »
I went with them because they are not as expensive, and I could get a zoom not for an arm and a leg.
I went to the Amcrest site and they are also cheaper but look a lot like Foscam.

I suspect that as these cameras wear out and they do sooner than not, I will replace them with something better.

Their support has always sucked .  on their older non H264 versions , one could have the camera upload with only one file name, but now they all have a time stamp. So I wrote the company .  Could they update their software that it could have that option.

The Texas folks said they were only a distributor,but referred me to their software dept.  Those folks referred me to the factory in China.  Which referred me back to Texas which referred me back to China but a different dept. They said that they were working on it. Of course that was 5 years ago.

Personally, I don't care anymore.  As soon as my wife gives up her old Vista computer, I am going with Blue Iris, it will send one file (as does weatherdisplay) name and be happy.

Mac has too much nonsense.  All the movies show everyone on a mac, but.. in reality very little software that is for weather station folks like us.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 04:36:05 PM »
I like Blue Iris its really the best I've found for compatibility, security and website updates. 
I also run Webcam 7 which has zero support and suspect one of these WC7, Iptimelapse or BI has a memory leak. About every 10-12 days I need to reboot the pc to get rid of the high memory usage. Someone mentioned WC7 was causing same issue so lean toward WC7 as the culprit but with no support may never get fixed.
Randy