Author Topic: Humidity reading suddenly reading way too low...  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Tennesseestorm

Humidity reading suddenly reading way too low...
« on: June 07, 2019, 09:38:50 PM »
Hi all.  So glad I found this site.  Looks like many forums on here I will really enjoy.  Anyway, to start off, I have a Davis Vantage Vue weather station, about 4 years old.  Suddenly about 2 days ago, the humidity display on my station started reading way too low.    For example, it is currently showing 37% (despite being extremely muggy outside and that is unheard of here in the southeast this time of year) and it is 90% at the airport less than 15 miles away.  Anyone know what may have happened?  Thanks. 

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: Humidity reading suddenly reading way too low...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 09:47:37 PM »
Hi,

Mine has been doing the same thing. I have gotten a replacement temp/hygrometer sensor from Scientific Sales. Mine is not quite 7 years old. The expected life span is 3 to 5 years from what I had read.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 10:10:32 PM »
Thanks!  Do you have any info or a link on how to order and change it?  I thought I would have to replace the entire station, so this is good to hear. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 11:22:33 PM »
VP2 has replacement sensor. It is my understanding that the Vue doesn't. The Vue has to be sent in for service.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 12:13:00 AM »
The Vue can be replaced but it's not just the Humidity sensor but one of the boards including other components,

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 03:31:03 AM »
For the first 3 years' or so of production, the Vue did have a replaceable T/H sensor on a small PCB that also contained another sensor element - from memory (BICBW) the wind speed switch.

But from revision M onwards (somewhere around 2013 but can't recall precisely) all of the Vue ISS circuitry was made as a single wiring harness that couldn't be separated. (For early M models the solar panel was not part of the harness but it was included subsequently, so there are actually two distinct harness versions.) You can buy the complete harness as a spare but TBH it's not too much cheaper than a complete new Vue ISS, so simpler just to get a new ISS.

So for eg a 2015 Vue then get a new ISS. (I don't like this either, but it's reality.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 03:56:10 AM »
So for eg a 2015 Vue then get a new ISS. (I don't like this either, but it's reality.)
Damned if I'd buy another one... :evil:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 04:41:17 AM »
Just checked Scaled Instruments he is out of stock on Vue ISS. Not cheap either for replacement.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 05:41:29 AM »
But note that picture is the harness version without the solar panel. The alternative version has the solar panel included (& hardwired IIRC). It's not a big deal rewiring the panel but it does mean that it's not a simple drop-in replacement if you use the 'wrong' version.

And compare this:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/sensor-suites/vantage-vue-series-sensor-suites/davis-6357-vantage-vue-wireless-integrated-sensor-suite/

Can you see why I say that you might as well buy a new ISS?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 09:25:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies and info.  I am not very technical, so some of this is like Chinese to me.  lol.  Well whatever it is finally went completely out as now it says the humidity is 1% with a dewpoint of -36°, lol.  The actual dewpoint at the airport is 70° right now, so its dead.  I am pretty sure it is only 4 years old, so I was hoping it would last a little longer, but this is the first one I have ever owned, so wasn't sure what to expect.  I guess I will just use it for temperature and maybe Santa will bring me a new one for Christmas.  :D  I am not sure what model this is, but I would like one where I can connect it online.  I do not think I could ever do that with this one. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 10:14:21 AM by Tennesseestorm »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 10:58:56 AM »
But note that picture is the harness version without the solar panel. The alternative version has the solar panel

Either way, it's expensive when the sensor goes bad and eventually they all do. Just another reason among many to stay away from the Vue.  On the VP2 bad temp/humidity sensor only sets you back about $40.
Randy

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 11:01:53 PM »
Thanks. 

I hate to hear that.  I thought these were some of the best.  My folks got it for me for Christmas about 4 years ago and I have enjoyed it and used it daily.  The model # is 6250.  I may just replace it with another one.  What is a good weather station that will not cost me an arm and a leg?  I would just like accurate temps/humidity and something that I can share weather online with, such as weatherunderground. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 11:40:19 PM »
Honestly, I think you merely got a bad one. Davis certainly isn't perfect, but as a general rule, they're very reliable. My "wouldn't buy another one" comment above was strictly due to the fact that little is replaceable on the Vue unlike a VP2 where virtually everything is replaceable.