Author Topic: WMR-200  (Read 4381 times)

Offline davidpo31

WMR-200
« on: December 22, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »
I got the wmr-200 for Christmas the wife factor kept me from getting the davis vp2 lol. I have it setup,and the mounting poles it came with flimsy,but will do for now until I can get a tripod mount. I even managed to get a website going using templates from saratoga my first ever attempt on doing anything with web pages. It's a bit funny I've been building and working on them for 30 years,but I never wanted to fool with HTML,php etc. Now that I've got that all out of the way I need some advice on mounting the wind sensor which part needs to point north seems my wind reading direction is wrong. Can someone post a picture showing which part needs to point north I'd truly appreciate it.

So far no problem with the system all the sensors seems to work tho I'm gonna do the rain gauge modification sticky to make it more accurate.I'm using cumulus right now,and so far so good. Besides WD is there any other weather software that ya'll could recommend I like changing things up every so often.

This is my website www.teddysplace.info right now its just pure templates with most things changed for my area one day I hope to have more stuff about me and my dog teddy.

David

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WMR-200
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 09:20:38 PM »
I seem to recall from another post talking about OS wind sensor orientation that the sensor itself points north on the mast.

Congrats on your X-mas gift!

maybe if you include the wife with the webpage stuff along with you and Teddy she may warm up to you getting that Davis. lol
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:24:52 PM by DanS »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 09:43:45 PM »
Congratulations David, you've done well.

Paul

Offline davidpo31

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:28:35 PM »
I've pointed the whole thing North,but I think because its so low in height its getting turbulence from the ground making the direction readings wrong. I'm gonna get me a tripod mount speaking of which anyone know of somewhere to buy one in Texas shipping on those are crazy?

David

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 10:33:04 PM »
  Mounting arm should be pointing towards true north. It is also in the mounting direction unless they redid the instructions since I got my 200 few years ago.

John

Offline davidpo31

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 12:04:07 AM »
Yes it does,but in my hurry to get it setup I must have become confused lol. I have noticed without a doubt the solar cover that the temp sensor goes into is a waste of space.I saw somewhere online a very detailed building guide for a radiation shield using flower pot bowls,but now I can't find it  hehe should have bookmarked it.  This weather stuff is highly interesting almost as much as computer building. When I go back to work from layoff I'll be buying a Davis unit unless this wmr-200 knocks my socks off or they come out with some better sensors. Is any of their temp/humidity sensors they sale any more accurate than the one that's included with the system?

David

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 12:17:45 AM »
DanS has posted plans and pictures of how to build one on this forum.  Also, I think some others have posted pictures as well.  I'm sure Dan can point you in the right direction.   :arrow:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
Thanks Greg. This is one I built and still use http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=6486.0  Also members Axelvold and Weather1967 built similar ones and either posted plans on here or on their website.

Offline davidpo31

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 01:12:29 AM »
That is a very nice looking shield,where did you get those bowls?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 01:34:57 AM »
Just a local department store. I've built a couple different shields (stacked inverted bowl types) to experiment with light transparency, heat retention of the different materials, etc. and like this arrangement best. These are made from some 'Bake-Lite' dense phenolic type of material that doesn't allow light through and won't flex or warp. Almost like ceramic but you can still cut and drill it fairly easily.
If you decide to build one without a fan (maybe add one later?) be sure to mount the sensor at the bottom so it is away from any trapped warmer air at the top of the shield.
Holler if you need help.  Many folks on here have been down this road and will be glad to help.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:56:22 AM by DanS »

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 10:12:32 AM »
And, as noted a couple weeks ago, if you open the solar panel with the screws on the back, you'll find a battery pack that is NOT plugged in and nowhere in the OS manual does it bother to tell you that, so mine was on the roof for 2 years before someone brought it up.

Offline davidpo31

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 11:03:41 AM »
Yes I was lucky enough to have read about that,but thank you very much. My better half bought me the big shield from ambient weather since she knows I'm terrible with tools unless i'm building a computer lol. Now to get me a tripod and bolt it the ground,anyone of know a store that might sell tripods that I could convert?

Tia

David

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 06:28:41 PM »
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:43:57 PM by DanS »

Offline davidpo31

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 10:25:31 PM »
That is perfect I never thought to look at radio shack. I'll get one soon as I can thank you so much.

David

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 10:57:37 PM »
And, as noted a couple weeks ago, if you open the solar panel with the screws on the back, you'll find a battery pack that is NOT plugged in and nowhere in the OS manual does it bother to tell you that, so mine was on the roof for 2 years before someone brought it up.
...so, what's the *enlightened* consensus? Leave the battery "disconnected" or should it be "connected" before using?
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 09:36:52 AM »
Good question, I can tell you that cooking up on the roof, unplugged for 2 years pretty much killed the ability to hold a charge, but when my new one comes in next month I'm going to plug it in.

Offline Faceng Ret

• West Melbourne, Florida Weather
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »
After learning about the battery pack in July, I plugged mine in. When I got my Davis up and running in November, I decided to run
a test on the Oregon Scientific unit and removed the alkaline batteries from my anemometer which has been running on the solar
charger and built in battery pack since then. Hasn't skipped a beat.