Author Topic: Acu-rite Aspirating Fan  (Read 5562 times)

Offline gotjackson

Acu-rite Aspirating Fan
« on: June 27, 2012, 04:36:08 PM »
Hello everyone,

New to the forum and new to owning a weather station. Just set up the Acu-rite 01025 wireless weather station and having fun with it. From everything I've been able to find, it appears that the temperature and humidity sensor aspirating fan ONLY operates when the solar panel is receiving sunlight. Is that correct?

This morning when the sun first hit the unit, but not yet the solar panel, the temperature reading was about 5-7 degrees warmer than it actually was. At 1pm with the sun high overhead on the unit, the temperature reading was only about 2 degrees warmer. I assume this variance is normal since there is no way to completely eliminate the effects of the sun. All temperature comparisons are with other thermometers on my property and other nearby weather station readings from my neighborhood.

If my assumptions are correct, around 3 or 4pm when the unit goes into complete shade, the aspirating fan will shut down. Am I on the right track? If so, then can I expect my morning readings on sunny days to be somewhat inaccurate until the sun reaches the solar panel?

Thanks,

Bryan

Offline tonyguy2000

Re: Acu-rite Aspirating Fan
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 07:40:38 AM »
I have the same problem in the morning and afternoon because this time of the year the sun rises and sets more northerly in the sky. My temps are 7-8 degrees higher in the early morning and late afternoon when the sun can't hit the solar panel. During the Winter, Spring and Fall it works as it's suppose to.

The temporary solution (told to me by an Acurite support person) is to turn the sensor around so the panel faces north. Of course the wind now will be shown as opposite of what it really is. When the sun goes back to being southerly you can turn it back to it's normal position.

This is being discussed now on the Acurite support site.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:42:21 AM by tonyguy2000 »

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 10:12:32 AM »
Hey Folks-

Yes, the aspirating fan runs when the sun is hitting the solar panel. While there is no way to completely eliminate the effects of solar heating, we are investigating and evaluating several potential improvements and additions that may lessen the solar heating effects. For now, we do recommend turning the sensor so that the solar panel will be more in line with the suns path in your location.

Offline gotjackson

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 11:34:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies. And Rhino, I think I have your answer. What you need is a solar panel that moves separate on a rotator with tracking software to follow the path of the sun for any given location.

Seriously though, here's a thought (a real one this time). What if there were a simple photo-sensor on the unit that detected daylight and turned on the aspirating fan using the batteries. When the sun hits the solar panel, the fan continues to run off solar power. The same thing happens at the end of the day and after the sun goes down, the fan shuts off.

I for one would be willing to change the batteries more frequently for a setup like this. I don't think this would be terribly expensive to implement.

Thanks again.
Bryan

Offline wx_junkie

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »
I am going to try to fabricate some sort of parabolic reflector that redirects the sunshine to the sensor when the sun is low on the East or West horizon.  I too suffer form the sharp "hiccups" in the morning and evening when the fan starts / stops moving enough airflow over the sensors to correctly aspirate.   Mostly only a problem this time of year (sun rises and sets at a high latitude, so the south-facing sensor doesn't "see" it until the sun is quite high up), and it's not much of an issue when there is a good breeze anyway.  But definitely something to try to improve on, either a DIY solution or a manufacturer fix for next gen.

Ray

Offline smac

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 10:32:22 AM »
I have been having the same issue for a couple of weeks.  This morning I took a small makeup mirror used a couple of daps of hot melt glue to stick it on the station so that it bounces light onto the solar cell.  Works like a charm for now.  Will see if it interfers with light hitting it later in the day.  Also afraid it will not be at the right angle in a week or so.  Worth a shot.

Offline wx_junkie

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »
What is really needed is to put 2 additional solar cells on each side and wire them up together so you're receiving energy in 3 planes.  At first i though you'd hook them up in parallel, but 2 "less" active solar panels may sink the power form the active panel.   Series would probably work, but in mid-day, when all 3 are probably cranking, you'd have to ensure the voltage is not too much for the fan.  Maybe parallel is better, with some diodes added to control traffic.  :lol:

Ray

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 03:22:40 PM »
We are working on an upgrade solution for this issue, I will announce when we have something.

Thanks for the feedback

anything