Author Topic: Anny EMP'd this morn?  (Read 4280 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Anny EMP'd this morn?
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:08:38 PM »
My os 968 anny reported its last speed and direction at 7:40am this morn.  Just as a powerful thunder storm rolled thru my neighbourhood.    I only noticed since VWS hit its memory leak limit on startwatch, so when VWS came back up a sensor was missing which causes VWS to not start, which tripped my php that monitors file times, etc, etc. 

Once I got home,  on my console I see - - - S 177
Did a few manual channel searches.

Climbed up on roof, its still there.   I even cupped my hand around LED, and waited for the xmit pulse.  It happened.  Did not have time to take apart, and investigate further.

The timing of the failure was just too close.  I wasnt home, but I could tell from my boltek it was crazy active with strikes, not much rain, and lots of traffic lights out around the area.

Well it almost made it to its 5th birthday....

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Anny EMP'd this morn?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 07:32:22 PM »
Bummer. Guess you tried all the remove batteries, reset, etc. stuff already.?. Hope you can bring it back to life.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 07:43:20 PM »
My os 968 anny reported its last speed and direction at 7:40am this morn.

Aww man, that's sad.  :(  Now you're gonna be in the Sam's Club.  I'll see if I can find the picture of the UPS gal that brings the annemometers.  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 07:17:06 AM »
Not yet. Only had a few minutes last night.  Guess I'll try a hard reset on the console first, but wanted to try to avoid resetting my YTD rain totals.  Maybe I will climb up and reset the xmitter first, but when I saw the light was still flashing....  #-o

Andrew

Bummer. Guess you tried all the remove batteries, reset, etc. stuff already.?. Hope you can bring it back to life.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 07:18:20 AM »
If I was guaranteed she would come, that would be the only way I would purchase from a company that uses UPS for shipping...

Andrew

Aww man, that's sad.  :(  Now you're gonna be in the Sam's Club.  I'll see if I can find the picture of the UPS gal that brings the annemometers.  :)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 07:57:02 AM »
If I was guaranteed she would come, that would be the only way I would purchase from a company that uses UPS for shipping...

Andrew

If she comes you might forget about the anny problem.  ;)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 11:07:54 AM »

Andrew

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 07:54:45 AM »
Still have not made it back up onto the roof.  But I found out someone was still using my older website.   got a contact from someone asking about the wind speed.  Seems he had not been to my site in some time, but used it to check the wind before he headed out to fly his R/C planes and helicopters.

I pointed him to my new site.  Showed him the Almanac - Weather Trends page
http://www.mackweather.com/wxtrends.php
The various wind measures over the last 120 minutes, plus the 12 hour wind plot graph would be perfect for his needs.  He agreed.

I am going to head up there on the weekend, first do a battery pull on the xmitter, before I wipe my console (and rain data) by fully resetting that.

Andrew

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 08:11:59 AM »

Andrew

Mines not broken but if she'll bring me another one I'll break it!  :grin:

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 08:51:35 AM »
I found many times that a "channel scan" will not find my anemometer.  I have found that most of the time, the only way I can get all channels synced back up is to remove the batteries from the Console.   Even pressing the internal reset button, does not do it.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 08:55:43 AM »
Same problem I had with my WMR100.

Offline Carson Weather

• Contributor
    • http://www.carsonweather.com
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 05:37:07 PM »
Still have not made it back up onto the roof. 
Faulty wind was one of the major reasons for retiring my OS stations.
That said, I've got 3 (I think) anemometers floating around the house. I was waiting for a good cause to donate. Maybe you're it:)

If you end up needing one, let me know.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 07:15:24 AM »
Thanks Joe, I will let you know how it goes...

Andrew

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 02:20:08 PM »
Its alive...  \:D/
Gave up several months ago.

I was on my old site checking humidex calculator I wrote.   Noticed the wind changed direction on an ajax update. hmmm.  Looked at WU history for that station.  Sure enough its bobbing all over.   

Speed still down, but know that comms are miraculously back, I probably just need to go up and check the allen bolt on the cups to shaft.  Not in this heat though...

Andrew

anything