Author Topic: Oregon RT918 repeater and outdoor temp sensor  (Read 5509 times)

Offline ryan_y

Oregon RT918 repeater and outdoor temp sensor
« on: February 13, 2009, 08:30:08 PM »
I'm interested in purchasing a repeater for my WMR968 weather station to add a second THGR968 outdoor temperature sensor that will be placed out in the field.  Has anyone used the RT918 repeater? Does it work well? How are they to set up? I've read some mixed reviews but hope to hear from someone actually using one.  Would anyone have any better recommendations on a second temp sensor other than the THGR968? Thanks.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: Oregon RT918 repeater and outdoor temp sensor
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:41:05 AM »
No experience with repeater nor do I recall anyone ever talking about using one for OS...

The THGR968 has been replaced. Not saying these are better, but they are the ones now shipping as replacement "extra" channel sensors

THGR122NX and THGN123N

The THGN123N is the "ultra cold" model.. I have one, not yet deployed, but my radio shack version of thgr968 is in its 4th Cdn winter and never had a problem.  The only issue is the below -10c humidty stops reporting issue, but the "ultra cold" has the same limitation.     the 123n also does not have a digital readout, which is fine for enclosure deployment, but if you want to do a visual you can not check on the sensor....

You did not put where you live in your profile... but you should probably just go with 122.

Andrew

I'm interested in purchasing a repeater for my WMR968 weather station to add a second THGR968 outdoor temperature sensor that will be placed out in the field.  Has anyone used the RT918 repeater? Does it work well? How are they to set up? I've read some mixed reviews but hope to hear from someone actually using one.  Would anyone have any better recommendations on a second temp sensor other than the THGR968? Thanks.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline ryan_y

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:03:57 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I am in southern Manitoba, and have also had my THGR968 outdoors for 3 years now with no issues.  I was thinking of going with a THGR968 again so it would work with the repeater as I will need to transmit close to 500 feet from the field.  I'd hate to have to switch hardware - I like the way this unit works.  Hopefully someone else will post their opinion on the repeater!

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 10:08:17 AM »
Well in Manitoba you know cold.  honestly I think the 122 is just a 968 in a new piece of plastic, I highly doubt any R&D or technical advances were made...  Good luck.

Andrew

Thanks for the info.  I am in southern Manitoba, and have also had my THGR968 outdoors for 3 years now with no issues.  I was thinking of going with a THGR968 again so it would work with the repeater as I will need to transmit close to 500 feet from the field.  I'd hate to have to switch hardware - I like the way this unit works.  Hopefully someone else will post their opinion on the repeater!

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline ryan_y

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 11:29:33 AM »
Any further input on this?  Mother Nature is not cooperating this year as we has a good frost again night before last.  So, I guess its time to get another sensor in the field.  I'm going to buy this week and will likely go with the 122 and an RT918 repeater and hope for the best.  Any other opinions are greatly appreciated!

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
I have a couple of RT918, but have never used them.  :!:

I'm looking at the User Manual right now, and (oddly) the THGR968 is not listed as a compatible sensor, only the WGR968 (anemometer). So other than the WGR968 it appears it will only "repeat" for the following:

BTHR968, WGR968, RGR968, THGR268, THR238, THR138/138N

You should probably download the User Manual for it and study it before buying!

Offline ryan_y

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 08:33:59 AM »
That is interesting as the manual online does list the THGR968.

So how come you've never used them? Any issues with them or the deal was just right when you bought them (too good to pass up!)?

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 09:46:26 AM »
That is interesting as the manual online does list the THGR968.

So how come you've never used them? Any issues with them or the deal was just right when you bought them (too good to pass up!)?
Omigosh...you are right! The THGR968 is not listing among the "Compatible Units" but is indeed shown in the Sensor Matrix as On-Off-Off-On! And I studied that damn thing pretty carefully I thought!  :oops:

In any case, I'd bought the repeaters shortly after getting my system, but then I laid it out in a different way, with one console in our main house, and another console in our guest house where I put a computer more/less dedicated to the data collection function, and as a result didn't bother trying the repeater units (though there are a couple sensors I can't receive in the main house).

Anyway, maybe I will try the repeater and see if it gives me a more reliable display....