Author Topic: VWS not uploading to WF  (Read 5111 times)

Offline mmoon

VWS not uploading to WF
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:04:50 PM »
Well, I've exhausted my known possibilities as well as stumped the chaps over at Ambient. Perhaps there's a person on the boards who may have an idea.

I've been using VWS with WF for about a week with great results. Two days ago I noticed that the WF page wasn't updating anymore; last update was a day old. All VWS's FTP settings were untouched and still in place. WF connections were still OK in VWS.

The first thing I saw was that the error log was giving me a System Socket Error. Interesting, because that usually means no internet connection. But as far as I could tell, there was no problem with the internet connection. I was connected to the internet.

Next I tried to see if VWS would make an FTP connection manually to my server. All good there. But that's weird because a manual connection and the WF auto connection use the same login information. 

Next I tried to upload a file manually via FTP in VWS using the FTP upload function. Selected a file to upload and I had success.

So I get on a chat session with Ambient and they guy there was really nice and helpful. He suggested I give him my login info to see if he can upload data to my WF page. It worked. It was definitely something going on on my machine. They could not replicate the problem. He suggested that it may be a firewall problem.

So I end up turning off my PC firewall in Windows XP (just using the firewall on the router for protection). Now instead of a System Socket error, I get two errors: "Lost Connection to FTP Server" and then shortly after that: "Invalid FTP handle". Wow. That's weird. It's saying the login info is wrong. And yet the manual FTP connect, using the same info, works.

Double checked all paths, ID's, passwords. Next I tried my WeatherLink software to see if it would make the auto connection to upload my WeatherLink page (which I still have on my server, but don't use). Success.

I tried an complete uninstall and reinstall of VWS with no luck. It's a brand new notebook ASUS computer with XP dedicated to this purpose.

I'm a stumped chump.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: VWS not uploading to WF
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 10:18:31 PM »
what antivirus program in use?
(try turning that off as a test as well)

so its the ftp option for wxflash and not the .asp/ http post option?
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline mmoon

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:24:45 PM »
No antivirus on this computer.

FTP option (my server doesn't have ASP). Activate box checked. Data directory path correct.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 10:46:53 PM »
For grins and giggles you might try rebooting your router.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 01:06:30 AM »
good suggestion
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 01:59:06 AM »
You should not be using ftp to send data to WeatherFlash except as an absolute last resort. PLease use the submit scripts as they are much faster and cleaner than ftp. You can use the Active Server Page option with the submit.php script!

Offline mmoon

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 09:05:14 AM »
Now I feel like an idiot.  :-)

I was under the impression that if our server didn't have ASP, we couldn't use the Active Server Page function and had to use FTP. The manual may be a little unclear there? I don't know. I could be just me and I didn't grasp that.

Thank you!

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 05:39:38 PM »
But if your server supports PHP you could use that instead.

Jay
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display