Author Topic: VP2 v3 Firmware updates now posted  (Read 48252 times)

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
Re: VP2 v3 Firmware updates now posted
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 01:30:54 PM »
I'd just like to confirm that the latest release of the Davis firmware works with the belfryboy 3rd party data logger.

Upgraded from version 1.8 to 3.12 of the firmware on my UK Vantage Pro 2+ without any issues :)
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 01:33:26 PM »
I have a late 2004 VP2 Wireless USB.

I dont see a readme from Davis, but download, run the .exe and I should be good to go?
I dont think I have ever updated it before.
Tony

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 01:50:49 PM »
I can hear the 3rd party data logger developers sighing a big sigh of relief!
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline duke666

• Senior Contributor
    • Nightingale Weather
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 01:55:21 PM »
Reading 'this' thread, is any one successfully using VVP with multiple weather software and the new firmware - 3.12?

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 02:18:38 PM »
My 'belfryboy' logger is working with 3.12 with everything BUT VWS by way of VVP. I've tried all the VWS comms options with VVP and  ](*,)     Gonna have to 'try' Ambient support to see if he can fix it......
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 03:23:21 PM »

I dont see a readme from Davis, but download, run the .exe and I should be good to go?
That one will probably NOT work, Tony. My unit is from 2006. Put 3.12 on it last night and, while it appeared to flash OK, the console was not working properly. Called Davis this morning and the guy was stumped. He sent me v1.90 to drop back to and that works fine.

Just got the following email from him...

You have an old console that uses analog sensors. Firmware version 3.X will not be compatible with your console. The latest version your console will be able to use is version 1.90.

So, we're SOL - until I can get it in for the refurb.
John
W7JKG

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 03:41:15 PM »
Just tried several times to get to the Davis Firmware upgrade webpage and it tells me I broke their server. Same message three or four times.

Wonder if so many folks are trying to get to it that it can't handle the load?

Anyway, was just thinking about how we had to update firmware in years past. Does anyone remember the old days of having to order (or purchase) the updater and then either passing it on to others or returning it to Davis? Sure am glad those days are behind us!

Sorry for the diversion but was wondering if anyone is having problems getting to the Davis site?

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 03:48:30 PM »

That one will probably NOT work, Tony. My unit is from 2006. Put 3.12 on it last night and, while it appeared to flash OK, the console was not working properly. Called Davis this morning and the guy was stumped. He sent me v1.90 to drop back to and that works fine.

Just got the following email from him...

You have an old console that uses analog sensors. Firmware version 3.X will not be compatible with your console. The latest version your console will be able to use is version 1.90.

So, we're SOL - until I can get it in for the refurb.

Thanks for the info John. Hopefully this will be the summer it gets replaced. Almost 9 years so it will probably be a good time to replace it.
Tony

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »
That is an interesting question, Dale. While the "blacklisted" loggers apparently can't communicate with external software programs for any number of reasons, they just might be able to connect with the console through the firmware package's built in program to execute the update.
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 04:33:28 PM »
Just tried several times to get to the Davis Firmware upgrade webpage and it tells me I broke their server. Same message three or four times.

Wonder if so many folks are trying to get to it that it can't handle the load?

Anyway, was just thinking about how we had to update firmware in years past. Does anyone remember the old days of having to order (or purchase) the updater and then either passing it on to others or returning it to Davis? Sure am glad those days are behind us!

Sorry for the diversion but was wondering if anyone is having problems getting to the Davis site?

Looks to me they have locked it down.   

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »
Reading 'this' thread, is any one successfully using VVP with multiple weather software and the new firmware - 3.12?

Yes, I am using VVP with the Davis Weatherlink software and also Cumulus simultaneously. There were no issues or configuration problems. Obviously the firmware update was carried out directly without going through VVP, or with any other weather software running.
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 05:24:14 PM »
I did the FW update using belfryboy's logger with everything else shut down, it went through with no problems. I started VVP, ran WL, then WD with no issues. It was with VWS that I hit the wall... VWS would not work, NO HOW, NO WAY.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline n3ouc

• Contributor
    • Air Products Campus Weather
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2013, 05:57:16 PM »
I have 4 consoles dating from 2006 through 2011. The three youngest ones updated just fine but the 2006 console went through the process but when finished had digital sensors not found and completely shut down and I had to reload 1.90. As someone mentioned, any console dated 2006 or older will not work with the 3.12 upgrade unless it has been refurbished with the digital sensors.

Mike
Mike Stanton
Air Products Campus Weather

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2013, 06:21:28 PM »
Well, I'm dead in the water. Get a "digital Sensors Not Found" message when the console restarts after the upgrade. This is a unit I purchased back in Dec 2005. I was at v1.90 of the firmware. When it came back up I went through the setup steps and all of the settings appeared to be the same. Coming out of the setup mode is when I got the sensors not found message. Interestingly, I did see values in the Anemometer (speed and direction) as well as Out Temp, Humidity and Wind Chill. Everything else had the "---" displayed. Tried rebooting the console by unplugging the power cord and pulling the batteries but still getting the same message. Am going to attempt to go back to 1.90 but at the moment it can't even find the device. Am in the process of rebooting my computer now to see if that helps to get things back up once again.

This is NOT a good feeling at the moment...  :sad:

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2013, 06:27:33 PM »
Same results here, Don and Mike. After the flash it reset the console, then that same message came up. Was able to get past it by going to Setup mode, but once through that the baro and temp in both indicated ---- . So much for trying to fool it.
John
W7JKG

Offline n3ouc

• Contributor
    • Air Products Campus Weather
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »
Oh no, I too tried repeatedly to fool it and no go. Will not resolve to a com port. I was able to contact Davis support and they ran me through the 1.90 version to re-install. You would think they would have put up some kind of warning that consoles from 2006 and older will not be compatible.

Mike
Mike Stanton
Air Products Campus Weather

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2013, 06:38:03 PM »
Agreed, Mike. Davis is usually pretty good with their support. The fellow this morning was obviously unaware of the issue, but did spend some time with me trying to get things going. He emailed 1.90 immediately and wanted me to let him know if that worked OK. It wasn't until later he got the word and sent the message I posted. He still gets 5 stars for effort and their usual willingness to help, but whoever wrote the changelog gets a thumbs-down.
John
W7JKG

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2013, 07:03:58 PM »
Yup, had to reinstall 1.90 and everything is once again working, as it should.  \:D/ I think the black cloud is still following me around...

I'll bet Davis will quickly reword their firmware page to alert folks to the problem. However, I wonder how "old" the console has to be for it not to work. I had sent my entire VP2 in for a refurb last September. It has worked flawlessly since then. I did send Davis support an email a few minutes with the details of what I experienced and also mentioned this forum and the problems others are having with the update.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2013, 09:21:40 PM »
I gotta ask, why the big rush to get this new firmware update, i.e what is wrong with the 1.90 version exactly?
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2013, 10:50:52 PM »
I gotta ask, why the big rush to get this new firmware update, i.e what is wrong with the 1.90 version exactly?

That's what I was wondering.    :-k
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Tornado Tim

• Matangi Weather
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2013, 11:25:36 PM »
I will update as I dont have VWS, but I think I may wait a bit longer....

People like new things and it looks like you may get a bit more accuracy out of your temp/hum if you install the firmware update....

Console timesout of the "Receiving From" setup screen after 15 min using batteries and 30 min using AC power.
Previous versions of firmware allowed a negative ET, now it will clip hourly ET values at 0.
Added leading zero to temp readings between -1.0 and 1.0.
Improved temp and hum index calculations.
Low humidity readings now clipped at 1% and will not show 0%.

One thing I hope they have fixed is the "new" New Zealand DST change times.
http://NZAPStrike.net - Oceania Blitzortung Lightning Network
http://Matangiweather.org - Matangi Weather Station
Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS with Solar

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2013, 11:42:25 PM »
I have 4 consoles dating from 2006 through 2011. The three youngest ones updated just fine but the 2006 console went through the process but when finished had digital sensors not found and completely shut down and I had to reload 1.90. As someone mentioned, any console dated 2006 or older will not work with the 3.12 upgrade unless it has been refurbished with the digital sensors.

Mike

Question:  How does someone determine whether they have digital sensors or not?

Offline Tornado Tim

• Matangi Weather
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2013, 11:57:37 PM »
Question:  How does someone determine whether they have digital sensors or not?
Archer Trading post states on here: http://www.archertradingpost.com/atp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_9&products_id=89
From Jan 2006 any Temp/Hum Sensor should be digital.

So I presume if your Station is manufactured after that date it should work.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:59:09 PM by Tornado Tim »
http://NZAPStrike.net - Oceania Blitzortung Lightning Network
http://Matangiweather.org - Matangi Weather Station
Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS with Solar

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2013, 12:02:32 AM »
as I wrote earlier,  my machine is probably 6 years old , upgraded from1.90 to 3.12, no problems..

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2013, 12:36:44 AM »

Good question Brian but, one could also ask why do folks run out and install Weather Display or VWS updates as soon as they are available? There are probably many different reasons. Some folks just want to have the latest and greatest version available. Others, just like to live dangerously.

In my case, it looked like the upgrade to 3.12 was pretty innocuous with very few problems initially being reported. I do run VVP and VWS as well as WD and saw no indications of any issues or real risk in doing the installation. Obviously, in hindsite, that wasn't true and I quickly discovered I had an unresponsive patient on my hands (my console). The remedy was quick as I had kept the original 1.90 installation software. So, I tried, I cried and then went back to my original configuration. Nothing gained, nothing lost. Will I do it again? Probably, as will many others on this forum.

anything