Author Topic: Meteotemplate - new free website template  (Read 627299 times)

Offline elspinars

• Meteo Els Pinars - Vallirana
    • Meteo Els Pinars - Vallirana
Re: Meteotemplate - new free website template
« Reply #7625 on: December 18, 2017, 09:40:03 AM »
Hi everybody,

I already posted this on the Meteotemplate forum but I thought I would also put it here as some users may not have acces to the official forum (they should register though. Lots of good stuff there).

I live in a town where traffic can get nasty a certain time in the week. The visitors of my website www.elspinars.es often visit it in the morning as a one shop stop to get their daily dosis of meteo, but also requested to have some kind of info about the traffic.
That how I came with the trafficAlert block, which is available for download here : www.elspinars.es/dev/dev.php

Concept is very basic : you define some routes, the block check the time it takes to drive that route and if the time is above certain thresold, it displays an alert, with the possibility to display the current traffic on a map :

I tried to make the setup as user-friendly as possible (but may have failed in the attempt).

After entering an optional block heading, the first step is to add an alert :

Then you define your route name and use the map to define your route.
On the map, a left-click define the center and a right click define the starting and ending point.
The page will update the route and the normal time it takes to drive it. You can then use these values to define your thresolds in the alerts.
You can alernatively enter the values manually and click on the Refresh Map button to see how it looks like. 
Then you define your alerts :

For each alert level (Green, Orange, Red), you define the thresold and the message.
You can use tags like %T in your message to display the actual time it takes to drive the route according to Google Maps Directions.
You can also personalize the icon and animate it.
Finally, you can disable an alert level.
When done, click on save, don't forget to add your block on your homepage and you're done.

This is an early version of the block, I would appreciate if you could let me know if you find it useful, if you tried it and if you have any idea on how to improve it.
Next steps will be to allow the users to create their own routes (after registration) and to add notifications in a mobile app on which I am working (also available on my dev page)
You can either comment on this forum post or leave me a message on my contact page

Cheers,

Pol-Brieuc
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 06:48:37 PM by elspinars »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7626 on: December 19, 2017, 08:02:57 AM »
Just setting up using this template. Does anyone know what units Weather Display uses for the data that is sent via the API? Also, is there a Weather Flow option for a station? Thanks!

This is fixed, API uses metric units, but they are converted based on your db units setting

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate 17.0 Nectarine
« Reply #7627 on: December 30, 2017, 02:13:27 PM »
Hi guys,

new version of Meteotemplate includes several tweaks and for example a brand new mobile homepage, which uses Bootstrap and is ideal for any device type

more: http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=3549

Offline paulIOG

« Reply #7628 on: March 30, 2018, 04:56:35 PM »
Hi

Having some issues..... templates were a breeze to set up btw now i have this issue the templates will not load from my url of http://www.iogweather.org.uk/ but they ll load perfectly from http://www.iogweather.org.uk/template/indexDesktop.php.

Template folder is in public_html folder of server been scratching my head for hours.

Any ideas on how to fix this anyone?

Thanks

Paul

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7629 on: March 30, 2018, 05:13:59 PM »
you would need a index.html or index.htm
in your root folder
to at least  have a link to where you template is (or a redirect)

Offline paulIOG

« Reply #7630 on: March 30, 2018, 05:25:26 PM »
I tried putting all the files in the root folder without the 'template' subfolder so index.php etc are there like old site setup it loads but its a mess

Offline paulIOG

« Reply #7631 on: March 30, 2018, 05:58:15 PM »
I tried putting all the files in the root folder without the 'template' subfolder so index.php etc are there like old site setup it loads but its a mess

Put a redirect in for now till i come up with a solution

Offline Johnny 5

• Just a hobby
    • Watford Weather
« Reply #7632 on: March 30, 2018, 06:08:09 PM »
Hi Paul, in the Meteotemplate Main Setup, go to the section Paths and make sure the URL you have specified is correct. For instance under path I have a forward slash / and under page URL I have http://www.watfordweather.co.uk

Offline paulIOG

« Reply #7633 on: March 30, 2018, 06:22:55 PM »
Hi Paul, in the Meteotemplate Main Setup, go to the section Paths and make sure the URL you have specified is correct. For instance under path I have a forward slash / and under page URL I have http://www.watfordweather.co.uk

Just tried no joy  :sad: i ll put the redirect back in for now

thanks for the idea tho

Offline Asobig

• Weerstation Cartoon
« Reply #7634 on: March 31, 2018, 06:05:23 AM »
For me, your website loads perfectly. :lol:
Some blocks keep spinning, but it shows 'Online'.

Offline paulIOG

« Reply #7635 on: March 31, 2018, 07:17:06 AM »
Thanks should be 2 blocks spinning working on that today. The redirect in place on the server has got this site working for now

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7636 on: March 31, 2018, 09:28:43 AM »
Some blocks fail because this function is missing:

gregoriantojd

It is a standard PHP function so it looks like your PHP installation is not complete.

Your page looks nice except for the footer. I would really consider removing all the page counters, they look awful and very amateur

Offline paulIOG

« Reply #7637 on: March 31, 2018, 04:28:20 PM »
Some blocks fail because this function is missing:

gregoriantojd

It is a standard PHP function so it looks like your PHP installation is not complete.

Your page looks nice except for the footer. I would really consider removing all the page counters, they look awful and very amateur

Took your advice looks much tidier now but still lots to do im not entirely happy yet  also fixed my  gregoriantojd issue by switching to php 7.0 on server

Offline vinesweather

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vines Weather
« Reply #7638 on: April 13, 2018, 09:51:23 PM »
Hi All
I am trying to import my data using the Import Data function in the template but I get an error saying:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /site/admin/testImportFile.php on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I have made the import files permissions to 777 but still the same issue. Can anyone advise what I need to do please?
Cheers
Chris

Offline kweaver66

• Kevin Weaver
    • Weaver Estates Wx-Watch
« Reply #7639 on: April 14, 2018, 02:45:27 PM »
Mine only works if I have it at 755

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7640 on: April 14, 2018, 05:42:21 PM »
I personally use 650 for folders and 640 for files, but it does not work on all servers, you need to use try/error method

Offline vinesweather

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vines Weather
« Reply #7641 on: April 14, 2018, 07:50:01 PM »
Many thanks guys.

Offline vinesweather

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vines Weather
« Reply #7642 on: April 14, 2018, 09:59:15 PM »
Failing I get the permissions to work, can I do it through myphpadmin?

Offline vinesweather

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vines Weather
« Reply #7643 on: April 15, 2018, 11:38:30 AM »
Turned out to be a modsec rule. All sorted now

Offline Andy Thompson

• Southern Minnesota Live Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
« Reply #7644 on: April 29, 2018, 11:42:44 AM »
Good morning,

I have been experiencing high amounts of junk mail coming through my website Contact form. A robot has outsmarted the form by filling it out and sending the messages. About 5 months ago is when I started seeing them. They contain anything from random letters and characters, to advertising. It is quite annoying. I was wondering if the Contact form could be changed? I was thinking of a script that randomly generates a string of numbers and letters instead of simply checking box that says "I am not a robot".
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:44:43 AM by Andy Thompson »
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7645 on: April 30, 2018, 03:05:43 PM »
I tried that before, math calculations, captcha, Google recaptcha.... sooner or later it stops being effective. I have the same problem in the forum, which uses Google Recaptcha and the PHPBB built-in captcha and even those two together dont work, I have on average 2 fake registrations daily. I usually discover it by googling the email address and finding it in the Spam mail database.

Offline Andy Thompson

• Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
« Reply #7646 on: September 01, 2019, 11:52:35 AM »
Jachym,

I am experiencing difficulties in updating the Bio Indexes plugin on my website. It just does not seem to want to take. I've tried downloading it directly off your website, but nothing seems to happen when I click on the "download" icon. Any ideas?
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline wxthomson

• http://www.minnetonkaweather.com
« Reply #7647 on: September 03, 2019, 09:24:31 AM »
Jachym,

I am experiencing difficulties in updating the Bio Indexes plugin on my website. It just does not seem to want to take. I've tried downloading it directly off your website, but nothing seems to happen when I click on the "download" icon. Any ideas?

Andy,
You might try the Meteotemplate Forum  http://www.meteotemplate.com/forum/

Most of the discussion has moved there.

Offline tigro11

« Reply #7648 on: December 06, 2019, 02:52:49 AM »
hello guys same problem interactive Graph block, the chart is one hour ahead, and is it possible to solve the problem?
thanks
Valerio

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7649 on: March 24, 2020, 08:32:17 AM »
Hi guys,
long time no see..

I am still alive :) Just came by to tell you hi. Meteotemplate is certainly not dead. The problem is that I dedicated 40-60mins a day to it given my current time possibilities - about enough time to deal with emails (about 3-4 new users/day), support and from time to time fix something... I admit gone are the times when I spent 5-6hrs working on this - different job position and my girlfriend wouldn´t like it either :D.

Some people PMed me how I am. I am doing fine. Still working as the head of air quality dpt. at the Czech hydrometeorological institute (the Czech National weather service). As of last year I am also a project leader at the EEA (European Environment Agency), the main EU body for environmental issues and I am responsible for the EU emission database (checking its validity etc.). This also means frequent visits to Copenhagen (Denmark), where the headquarters are.

About 2 yrs ago somebody destroyed my station again (vandalism), given this was the second time this happened it was a hard decision to make, but I stopped monitoring the weather at home. However, in Jun-Jul I am moving to a new flat I bought, which has an amazing view and will have the possibility to place safely a weather station so I am looking forward and plan to buy one again.

In my free time, apart from Meteotemplate, I enjoy biking, inline skating, macrophotography and I also created a company website, only available in Czech, but if anyone is interested (www.chmibrno.org). One of my main goals right now is to raise public awareness about air quality, so I organized presentations in the city observatory and also approached my friends from universities, municipality etc. who also presented. We also organize and attend many conferences and specialize on air quality analysis using scanning electron microscopy, which is quite unique. My daily job is about 50% administration and 50% data analysis etc. I have colleagues who are 100% R&D and so we work together on this microscope thing, which is quite unique and not done by many worldwide.

Right now we are, as most of you, going through tough times. The Czech Republic is in quarantine, I received a special paper that allows me to go to work being a critical infrastructure - I sent most of my colleagues home and they either work home office if possible or just stay at home.

Hope you guys are doing fine, Im sure this will be over soon. I will come back here now and then again.

Take care

anything