Author Topic: WRM 200 windsensor  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Solly

WRM 200 windsensor
« on: July 18, 2012, 05:04:11 AM »
Wind sensor after 3 months working with no problem started losing it's signal
Reset and change batteries and will work for up to 6 hours and lose signal,no data on the console

All the other sensors are working and no signal problems
Change the location of the weather station on the roof but still have the same problem

Supplier tested it and found no problem with it

Anyone with the problem and any suggestions will help

Solly

Offline Impala88

• Senior Contributor
    • IrvineWx
Re: WRM 200 windsensor
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 10:20:45 PM »
As the rather unhappy owner of a new WMR200A, I have been experiencing multiple problems.  The anemometer signal dropping out is just the latest problem.  The console and the anemometer are only about 30 feet apart and there is virtually a line of sight transmission between the two. 

Here is a thread that has some suggestions:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=13578.0

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »
The 200's are notoriously bad receivers as you see in that thread. I put in the new Davis in March, never a problem, I put the old 100 console back in service at the same time, perfect, the 200's simply have some serious problems they don't seem interested in fixing because it's been going on now for several years.

Additionally, in my case, the Daysum files would have multiple entries, the main dbase db would have skips and the 200 wouldn't enter data at the preset times. I tried antenna enhancement etc. and finally fixed it by buying the Davis.

Offline Impala88

• Senior Contributor
    • IrvineWx
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 09:37:19 AM »
I found this rather whimsical possible solution today.  It was intended to help with wi-fi reception issues, but just might work in this case.

http://www.tvkim.com/watch/1417/kim-on-komand-beer-can-helps-increase-wi-fi-coverage

Offline rcwhitehead

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 08:02:11 PM »
I just lnstalled my Wmr 200a  two weeks ago, and had similar problems. First thing I did  was put a coiled spring, I purchased from Lowes on the antenna. Thought that fixed it, but didn't. Still would lose signal. Finally went to BestBuy bought a USB cable extension,so I could move the display away from the computer. Wow Works Great Now. Also when you install new batteries take a pencil eraser and clean the ends of the battery. Hope this helps.

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 08:07:56 PM »
I've been throught he bad reception issues with both the wmr100 and wmr200.  Moving the console away from the computer was a big help but I still had reception problems.  I finally opened up the console, removed the internal antenna and built a proper sized external dipole.  You can read about it in this thread:  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=9096.0

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 10:10:53 PM »
I just lnstalled my Wmr 200a  two weeks ago, and had similar problems. First thing I did  was put a coiled spring, I purchased from Lowes on the antenna. Thought that fixed it, but didn't. Still would lose signal. Finally went to BestBuy bought a USB cable extension,so I could move the display away from the computer. Wow Works Great Now. Also when you install new batteries take a pencil eraser and clean the ends of the battery. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay!  :)

Where are you located?  Are we related?   :-k
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 11:02:19 PM »
 Going on my sixth year with an 200 and zero problems. Unit operates in conditions that most people never see....

John

anything