Author Topic: Worst Storm in a Decade Hits KC  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
Worst Storm in a Decade Hits KC
« on: June 26, 2015, 04:49:45 PM »
Power companies call this the worst storm in a decade.

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -
More than 160,000 homes were without power Friday morning after powerful storms blasted the metro.

It could be days before some get their lights back on.

The storms, which uprooted trees in many communities and blew the roof off a building in Independence, caused what KCP&L authorities call a multi-day restoration event. Branches litter the roads, power lines are tangled in trees and flash floods are a concern once again.

The city manager for Kansas City, MO, said more than 40,000 trees on public property are damaged. That number doesn't include trees on private property. As of 10:45 a.m. they've answered 1,700 calls for help. If you have a tree blocking your road, call 311 or tweet @KCMO311.

Rest of article: http://www.kctv5.com/story/29415302/thousands-wake-up-without-power-after-powerful-storms-hit-metro

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
Re: Worst Storm in a Decade Hits KC
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 06:21:49 PM »

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -
More than 160,000 homes were without power Friday morning after powerful storms blasted the metro.

The storms, which uprooted trees in many communities and blew the roof off a building in Independence, caused what KCP&L authorities call a multi-day restoration event. Branches litter the roads, power lines are tangled in trees and flash floods are a concern once again.

The city manager for Kansas City, MO, said more than 40,000 trees on public property are damaged. That number doesn't include trees on private property. As of 10:45 a.m. they've answered 1,700 calls for help. If you have a tree blocking your road, call 311 or tweet @KCMO311.

Rest of article: http://www.kctv5.com/story/29415302/thousands-wake-up-without-power-after-powerful-storms-hit-metro

Boy I know this feeling...ice storm 2007 I was without power for a week.  Big storm last July without power for 3 days.  Sure feel for all of them.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 08:10:24 PM »
Hate to hear that. Monday is the 3 year anniversary of arguably the biggest storm in West Virginia history - The Great Derecho of 2012. I was out of power for 13 days... 3 of which hit 100 degrees, and 12/13 hitting at least 93 degrees. No AC, water, or electric made for a rough time.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 11:46:32 PM »
That same storm wreaked havoc across the state of Missouri.  I saw reports of anywhere from 2-6 inches of rain fell with 70-80 mph winds.  It also caused problems for the St. Louis area.  Here is an excerpt from another article:

Rain over the past three weeks has swamped much of the state. The Mississippi and Missouri rivers were already above flood stage, and the National Weather Service said they're going up again. In Hannibal, flood gates were installed to protect the Mark Twain historic district downtown. The National Weather Service predicts a crest nearly 7 feet above flood stage on Sunday. The Mississippi is expected to crest more than 9 feet above flood stage in St. Louis on Tuesday. Meanwhile, the weather service is calling for crests 6 to 9 feet above flood stage from mid-Missouri to St. Charles on the Missouri River.

Rest of article: http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_desc&edis_id=ST-20150627-48857-USA

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -

Boy I know this feeling...ice storm 2007 I was without power for a week.  Big storm last July without power for 3 days.  Sure feel for all of them.

I've lived in Stillwater for 50 years, and don't recall the power being off after a storm lasting longer than all night and well into the next day.  Co workers of mine living in rural areas have had power off for at least a week, like from an ice storm, or the time when a tornado wiped out the power plant for the town of Perkins.  At my Stillwater employer, on one occasion power went off for about an hour, caused by an ice storm.  Trying to work during that time with battery powered back up lights wasn't much fun.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

anything