Author Topic: "Feels like" temp  (Read 3683 times)

Offline gatorbait

• VP2 Plus Wireless
    • (West) Kissimmee Weather
"Feels like" temp
« on: October 06, 2009, 03:50:22 AM »
Despite searching I just know it's going to have been right under my nose...

My "feels like" temp figure is changing radically, I suspect from one method of calculation to another.  For instance, yesterday it read 94 when I originally logged on to my site, but as soon as the first update occured seconds later it jumped to 104 or 105 and remained there until the temperature or other factors changed.  The 94 figure matched the Heat Index shown on my VP2 console and that is the reading I'd like to be showing on the site.

I'll admit to wondering if the second (higher) figure is like the refrigerator light -- when I"m not logged on, it's there but dormant, but when I open the door...

I found references to "feelslike" in the files but am reluctant to go playing around aimlessly with them.

Is there a simple script change I can make to have the Heat Index always show?

Bob
http://kissweather.net/index.php 

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: "Feels like" temp
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 04:43:42 PM »
With Weather-Display, the 'Feels-like' display is based on temperature, windchill or Humidex (based on temperature).

The ajaxWDwx.js script shows the basic algorithm for deciding what to display
Code: [Select]
// FeelsLike
temp = clientraw[4]; // note.. temp in C
        if (temp <= 16.0 ) {
  feelslike = clientraw[44]; //use WindChill
} else if (temp >=27.0) {
  feelslike = clientraw[45]; //use Humidex
} else {
  feelslike = temp;   // use temperature
}
feelslike  = Math.round(convertTemp(feelslike));
        set_ajax_obs("ajaxfeelslike",feelslike + uomTemp);
which matches the internal calculation for the WD tag %feelslike%

You can change the ajax-dashboard.php code from
                  Feels like: <span class="ajax" id="ajaxfeelslike">
    <?php echo $feelslike $uomTemp?>
</span>
to
                  Heat-index: <span class="ajax" id="ajaxheatidx">
    <?php echo strip_units($heati) . $uomTemp?>
</span>
if you like.  Be aware that unlike the "Feels-like" temperature, the heat index is valid only above 80F so that's why the more generic 'Feels-like' temperature (which supports windchill when needed) was displayed on the dashboard.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline gatorbait

• VP2 Plus Wireless
    • (West) Kissimmee Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 07:35:56 PM »
Hmm...

Thank you, Ken.  You've given me not only the technical "fix," but also something to think about.  I'd not considered the lower limit for Heat Index.  I suppose I'll have to judge over time who my visitors turn out to be.  Locals are attuned to Heat Index, though that may be changing little by little via TV.  Because of our location, only the warm/hot months are really a consideration for much other than raw temperature.  On the other hand, Disney visitors would make up a very different and non-homogeneous group, to say the least, and maybe Heat Index is not the way to go for them.

I think I'll file away your script modification and take another look at it in a few months.  I've definitiely got enough else to do in the meantime!

Thanks again.

Bob 

A second thought:  I work a lot of track and field meets and it seems most folks from all over the country are attuned to Heat Index, come to think of it.  However, and this may be a big however, I see them only in the late spring and summer months.  You know, things used to be more simple...   :-)

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 06:06:28 PM »
Ken,

Thanks you for posting this "fix".  I appreciate it.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:52:48 AM »
Ken,

Have a question regarding the heat color word feature.  Is there a way to make it use the Heat Index for the color word feature?  I'm not about to go modifying the .js without some guidance, because I do not know enough (hardly any) about it.

Thanks,

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 05:40:51 PM »
Hi John,

You can make the ajaxWDwx.js use heat-index instead of humidex, but the PHP version in the dashboard uses what WD generates, and WD only uses humidex for the calculation of %heatcolourword% tag.  That being the case, I'd recommend you stick with the use of humidex for the heat color word so both PHP (using WD %heatcolourword%) and the ajaxWDwx.js will be using the same data (temp, windchill, humidex) to generate the word description.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 06:09:35 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Ken.  Learned something new about WD.  Did not realize that was actually in there.  I'll leave it as is.

Thanks,

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus