Author Topic: At what temperatures do you consider it to be Cold or Hot?  (Read 152914 times)

Offline EastFrisianGuy

• Private Weather Station Bremerhaven
Re: At what temperatures do you consider it to be Cold or Hot?
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2016, 07:37:51 PM »
Would be interesting to actually change this question a little bit:

What temperature do you consider comfortable indoor?

Because I for example like cold, but inside I hate cold. I love very low temps, but I love when you then come inside and it is warm. Probably the worst is when you sit inside a completely frozen car :D I hate that. I would much more prefer just being outside in such situation. Cold outside is fine, cold inside, no... not for me.

Inside comfort for me would be 68ºF to 70ºF in the winter with the heat on; 70ºF to 73ºF with the A/C on in the summer.

For winter, to me anything between 19 and 21°C (66-70°F) is comfortable indoors. Right now i have 67°F indoors here in my living room and the heating is off.
My apartment is thermally insulated so it does save a little on the heating bill and i usually only turn on the heating when it drops below 19°C (66°F) permanently. Personally i don't mind having it a little colder inside, however i probably wouldn't stand the cold anymore i had in my former apartment which was poorly insulated- on the coldest days of the year it was barely 15-16°C (61-63°F) even with the heating on.

During summer i do like to have indoor temperatures between 23-25°C (73-77°F) and it is mostly in that range, only when we have a prolonged period of very warm or hot days, then it can get a little uncomfortable inside with temperatures climbing into the 80s. Built-in A/C are not widespread in Germany as well (apart from stores and some offices) and these mobile units you can buy in every electronics store are quite expensive and i don't see any point (yet) in buying one for those few days in summer where it gets a little uncomfortable here at the North Sea coast.

Best Regards

Georg

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2016, 07:45:37 PM »
The units themselves are actually not that expansive, but the operation of it.... I know that if I wanted to maintain a reasonable temperature in my flat during summer it would cost me more than heating in the winter! Primarily because for heating I use natural gas, but A/C is electricity, which is much more expensive.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2017, 11:23:35 PM »
One thing I haven't seen discussed in this thread (unless I missed it) is that a persons age has a lot to do with what is considered hot, cold and comfortable. As a kid, living in Virginia, only cold bothered me. Heat was never an issue except when trying to sleep at night with the temps in the upper 90's and the humidity also in the 90's. Those nights were absolutely miserable and there was no air-conditioning back in those days. You just had to suffer through it as best you could.

Now, as I age, I find that I simply am not able to acclimate very well to temps over 85°F in the summer or below 60°F in the winter. I would have to say that my ideal temperature would be between 75 and 78°F.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2017, 11:32:12 PM »
What I find interesting about this thread, originally started in 2011 with 28,000 views. OP hasn't been on forum since 2012.
Randy

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2017, 11:43:14 PM »
Well, we could blame it all on Jachym! However, sometimes threads become stale and then gets revisited and resurrected, even years later, and continues on once again like this one. One never knows what will trigger that action but as here, it can become a very viable discussion.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2017, 11:55:24 PM »
55-60 year round is perfect for me. No heater or ac. It's not cold until the wind blows. Many can agree with this.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2017, 08:45:24 AM »
Everything depends on your physical activity.
Saturday morning it was 30 here. When I went outside  I was freezing. Had some chores to get done so I started working. After a while the jacket came off and I didn't feel the cold.
When I was done and went back in side the 66 degree house felt warm as hell.
After about an hour of sitting around I got cold and had to put on more clothes. :-|
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2017, 07:40:04 PM »
When I was done and went back in side the 66 degree house felt warm as hell

Now you understand  why we go to Tee's and shorts after an week or  so at 30 to 40 below and you were  in temps  that I would still be wearing an T shirt.

John

Offline halifax

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2017, 07:51:02 AM »
I just looked up Salcha on GE including street view... wow, you live in a remarkable place.
Davis VP2+, NOAA POES Rx Station, SkyCam, Sandy Brook BrookCam. WU KCTCOLEB1. CWOP N1QVE. CoCoRaHS CT-LT-15. PurpleAir AQM Colebrook, CT.