Author Topic: Atlas Tear-Down Photos  (Read 7634 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Atlas Tear-Down Photos
« on: October 08, 2018, 03:17:59 AM »
I'm taking apart my beta Atlas.  Here's what I have so far.  Note that production models could be different.

This is the bottom piece of the pagoda.  You can remove it with no tools.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

After removing the pagoda bottom, you can reach the temp/humidity module.  It can also be removed with no tools.

Note the slots in the "cage" that houses the SHT31 chip.  It has a fine mesh screen, apparently to keep out critters.

I imagine this is how Acurite would offer a replacement module.  I could get down to the actual chip by removing some small screws, but that seems to defeat the purpose of tool-free installation.

This is the pagoda middle.  It's all held together by three long screws.

This is the top tier of the pagoda, holding the aspiration fan (view from bottom).

This is also the top tier of the pagoda, but a view from the top.  Note the little plastic cap covering the motor.

To be continued...

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Atlas Tear-Down Photos
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 11:16:26 AM »
With the plastic cap removed you see the top of the motor.

Here is a close-up of the motor top.  Note the black material.  Initially I thought this was some sort of sticker I could peel off, but it seems to be some sort of soft potting-like material.  You can see some scrapes my screwdriver made when trying to peel it off.

The motor doesn't seem removable and is permanently mounted in the pagoda top.  Also, the wires don't have a plug in this section.  That makes this section hard to remove.  There is a plug to the main board, but the wires are still routed in such a way to make things difficult.

In short, this makes it really hard to replace the motor section.  A motor plug in the pagoda bay would make it feasible, though, but I wonder why they didn't do that like everything else.  Perhaps that's just because this is a beta unit?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:14:47 PM by nincehelser »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 11:25:52 AM »
This is the battery bay with the 4 little screws removed.  Note the red lightning sensor module is installed.

This is the flip-side of the battery bay module.  Note all the wiring nicely labeled.  Marking of the receptacles is embossed in the plastic for easy identification.

Obviously the main board must be between the battery bay and this level.  I'll need to remove some more screws to show it (haven't done that yet).

Note the vertical plastic portion... that's probably to cover the antenna.

To be continued...

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 01:00:15 PM »
nice photos!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 07:30:33 PM »
Connector/Antenna side of main board.

Note "LIGHTNING MOD" is misspelled.  RECALL!!!!!  ;)

Component side of main board.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:34:05 PM by nincehelser »

Offline radioman61

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 09:46:42 PM »
The conformal coating on the boards looks decent.  Is there any silicone grease on the connectors?

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 08:37:29 AM »
Great pics!
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 11:25:09 AM »
The conformal coating on the boards looks decent.  Is there any silicone grease on the connectors?

None that I can tell.  The connectors still work smoothly after a year or so of weather exposure, though.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 12:09:25 PM »
Underside of rain bucket assembly.  This houses the 3 solar panels and the UV/Light intensity sensor.

This is the wind section removed from the main body.  Note that I've already removed the bottom cap which is setting to the side.

This is the bottom of the wind section with the bottom cap removed (also a few screws).  I assume this chip is what is measuring wind direction.  The thing jutting out of the bottom is the attachment cable.  I think it's a mini-USB connector if I have the names straight.  There's a "hood" over the end of the USB connector which makes it a bit difficult to see.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:31:50 PM by nincehelser »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 12:26:50 PM »
This is another view of the wind section with the tip of the wind vane removed.

I'm still trying to figure out if the wind section can be disassembled further without risking breakage, but I saw a screw just under end of the vane.

Removing the screw removed the wind vane tip.  Apparently this is just to cover some extra weights that were added.  I guess this improves dampening so it doesn't "flutter" as easily as the 5n1.

It didn't help in my disassembly quest, though.

This photo is lookup up under the "flare" under the anemometer section.  You can see two magnets that are being sensed to gauge how fast the cups are turning.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 03:07:41 PM »
The tipping bucket mechanism.  Note the two calibration screws in the bottom half, and the covered reed switch in the top half.

The tipping buckets are easily accessed by lifting up the rain bucket for easy cleaning (which I've obviously never done).

The tipping bucket reed switch.  The tipping buckets and the reed switch cover have been removed.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 03:13:45 PM by nincehelser »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 02:23:32 AM »
The lightning module disassembled.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 11:32:45 AM »
Back to the temp/humidity module.

The basket covering the actual sensor removes with two screws.  You can now see the SHT31 circuit board clipped in between two plastic prongs.

The SHT31 circuit board after being removed from the plastic prongs.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 11:36:34 AM by nincehelser »

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 01:50:14 PM »
Note "LIGHTNING MOD" is misspelled.  RECALL!!!!!  ;)
Maybe if it is detecting every light ting, as opposed to only heavy lightning strikes, it explains why some are reporting such high readings.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:55:44 PM by SnowHiker »

Offline Wrog

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 04:54:27 PM »
Interesting photos, thanks for posting.   =D>

Offline Dartman

• Village Idiot
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 08:22:08 PM »
Thanks, I just opened the snap out cage and the flip up rain bucket assembly to deal with a stuck fan and the u/v sensor not reading suddenly. Fan cage was out of alignment and one of the pins for the solar panels and the u/v sensor wasn't all the way in the plug. Got both working and it looks pretty similar to your unit. Very useful shots for anyone needing to swap out parts eventually or troubleshoot issues with out breaking things  UU

Offline John Z

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 01:31:40 PM »
George, great pics. Thanks for all the good work.

Regarding the potted motor, I think it would make sense to have a bypass capacitor right at the motor terminals, to mitigate some of the noise the motor might produce. With the potting material in place, we don't know if there is a capacitor present or not. Should you choose to remove that stuff, please look for a cap and let us know?
Thanks, OM.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 05:23:51 PM »
Mounting bracket disassembled.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 12:22:49 AM »
I cant believe thats all thats holding it to the pole, does anyone have theirs on a mast at 10m? I wouldnt trust that on my mast (its got a 40mm top) i would want that more than hand tight but ive seen what happens in that scenario :/  I am gonna assume that these are not really for mounting to spec?
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 02:50:58 AM »
I cant believe thats all thats holding it to the pole, does anyone have theirs on a mast at 10m? I wouldnt trust that on my mast (its got a 40mm top) i would want that more than hand tight but ive seen what happens in that scenario :/  I am gonna assume that these are not really for mounting to spec?

What isn't shown is the other half of the clamp, which is a v-notch the mounting pole is pressed into.  It's grips quite tightly with 3 points of contact.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 06:52:36 PM »
This is another view of the wind section with the tip of the wind vane removed.

I'm still trying to figure out if the wind section can be disassembled further without risking breakage, but I saw a screw just under end of the vane.

Removing the screw removed the wind vane tip.  Apparently this is just to cover some extra weights that were added.  I guess this improves dampening so it doesn't "flutter" as easily as the 5n1.

It didn't help in my disassembly quest, though.

This photo is lookup up under the "flare" under the anemometer section.  You can see two magnets that are being sensed to gauge how fast the cups are turning.

All that is required to get the vane off is pull it straight up, it pops right off. Also the same with the cups, pull them straight off. The bearings on my beta model were full of grit. There are two bearings in there with a sleeve between them. It should spin very loosely, but mine was rough and binding up. I sprayed them down good with lube and you could hear the grit in there.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 10:12:25 PM »
Thanks for that.  It encouraged me to disassemble it further tonight.

I was imagining 5n1 wind-cup type tightness, but the vane and cups pulled off without immense force.  I didn't notice any grit, but I did notice what looked to be graphite on the tip.  Maybe that was to ease assembly.

Close-up showing attachment screw.  There's another one on the other side.  Remove them and you can remove the "outer core" of the spindle.

Outer core removed and set in relation to other parts.

Close-up of outer core.  The second tier spins freely. 

When the inner spindle turns, that's obviously picked up by the circuit board affixed at the bottom (I assume via a magnet and Hall effect).

However, I'm not sure how the spinning of the outer spindle (wind speed) is being transferred to the electronic board.  It couples mechanically to the plastic cups.  There are two magnets in the cup cowl.  Are the magnets in the wind cups generating a voltage that circuit board can pick through the shaft? 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:20:31 PM by nincehelser »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2019, 10:31:00 PM »
Found the answer.  The spindle shaft can be pushed out through the bottom of the assembly. 

There's a reed switch near the shaft, held in place by slots in the outer plastic cover.  That's what the magnets are triggering.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:32:34 PM by nincehelser »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 11:27:58 PM »
If you pull up the central shaft, it will pull apart from a black piece of plastic that holds the end-magnet for the Hall effect sensor.  You'll also see a bearing here that slides off the shaft.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2019, 11:36:50 PM »
Close-up of the Hall effect sensor chip board.  Note I've disconnected the main cable (it's socketed to the board underneath).  The gray ribbon cable goes up to the reed switch.

That's an AS5600 chip.  You can read about it here: https://ams.com/as5600

Interestingly, it is from the same company that makes the lightning sensor chip.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:40:16 PM by nincehelser »