Author Topic: 15 miles can make a difference!  (Read 3293 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
15 miles can make a difference!
« on: September 18, 2009, 06:48:36 AM »
In previous discussions here and elsewhere, it has been said that rainfall can vary widely in short distances.  Here is a good example.  When I entered my cocorahs rain this morning (1.04) I looked at the map and saw another station close to me in the next county.  WOW!  I had seen a flood warning there last night, but I didn't realize they were getting that much rain.  So, believe it when people say that short distances can mean big differences in rainfall.

Greg

PS:  I'm ready to start building an ark!  It's going to rain for the next week, I think.   :shock:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: 15 miles can make a difference!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 06:53:48 AM »
I just checked radar images for that area and it appears to moving N/E so maybe the brunt of it will just miss you. Lots of activity below you as well. Maybe the ark is a good idea. Good luck to you and the Mrs., Greg!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 07:26:10 AM by DanS »

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 07:06:04 AM »
Wow, interesting to read that observer's comments in the morning report. Go here, the station is Niota 2.9 NW (you can sort the column by precip amount), then click on the view link.
Bill

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 07:13:07 AM »
Thanks for catching and sharing that Bill. Unbelievable to see so much rain (7.66in) in such a short time (7:45hrs).

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 04:08:20 PM »
From our local paper:

Rain Washes Away Cars
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 06:27:55 PM »
Not that long ago we had a brief downpour as the wife and I were exiting a department store. The rain formed a wall of water across the parking lot where part got drenched and another part stayed bone dry. Rain measurement can vary greatly in very short distances.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 02:15:34 AM »
Hey Dan,

Sunny day today.  Things dried up a little bit.  Chance of rain through Thursday, though.
May have to do an ark yet!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Comanche

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 02:39:59 AM »
We have had stuff like that happen here too. 2 years ago a small heavy area of rain passed over my house. we got .5" of rain in 20 min, thats alot in the desert. but only a mile away it was bearly raining. Or the winter before last. i was at my grandperants house.My dad and i were just about to go home after he was done working at 6pm in the middle of december. I was putting around my grandperants place before we left in our explorer. Within a few min it was snowing very hard. they got 5" in one night( alot for were they live). the 30 mile drive home took almost an hour at 30 mph in the snow on the highway. it was really snowing. But when we got home, it had berily snowed.

really interesting how that happens

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 06:31:41 AM »
With that storm we had here on 9-11 that left 2" of rain and piles of hail with high winds in 40 minutes, 3.5 miles to my east received hardly anything. This storm seemed to run SE to NW and, of course, I was in the middle.

15 miles is why I sited my station. The airport is about that far away and while I float away they report traces of rain - if any.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline GVaughn

• Canon City Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 11:35:36 AM »
Thanks for catching and sharing that Bill. Unbelievable to see so much rain (7.66in) in such a short time (7:45hrs).

We had a storm here about 12 years ago where my part of town got a little over 1 inch and 3 miles east of us got 9.75 inches - in 45 minutes.  Needless to say there was massive flooding in that area.

anything