Author Topic: Is there any way to delete erroneous data?  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Kamakzie

Is there any way to delete erroneous data?
« on: April 21, 2019, 07:21:26 PM »
I was fixing my weather station today and it accidentally recorded some erroneous precipitation and temperature data. I looked on the website and switched it to tables view but apparently the edit feature is no longer available?

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
Re: Is there any way to delete erroneous data?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 08:19:20 PM »
I don't think there is a way to edit it on WU. The only solution I have found to this problem is to go to the old wu page for your pws (assuming it is still available to access), select all of the historical data that you want to get, go to table view and choose download. Then you can edit it as you wish.

Offline Kamakzie

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 08:40:17 PM »
I don't think there is a way to edit it on WU. The only solution I have found to this problem is to go to the old wu page for your pws (assuming it is still available to access), select all of the historical data that you want to get, go to table view and choose download. Then you can edit it as you wish.

I'm looking here but I don't see any way to edit? https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/PWSCEDAR7.html

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 08:44:01 PM »
This is the WU subforum. We thought your original question was about WU. Either way you can't edit data on WU nor PWSweather. What you can do as BeaverMedow suggested is that you can download the WU data (on the old site) and then edit it locally for your own personal purpose. But you can't upload the fixed data.

I'm reading BeaverMedow's response and thinking that there may be a misunderstanding. So just to be clear...
PWS = Personal Weather Station (as in a reference to you hardware)
PWSweather = the online weather service

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 08:50:34 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Kamakzie

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 08:48:49 PM »
This is the WU subforum. We thought your original question was about WU. Either way you can't edit data on WU nor PWSweather. What you can do as BeaverMedow suggested is that you can download the WU data (on the old site) and then edit it locally for your own personal purpose. But you can't upload the fixed data.

Oh okay I guess I will just have to live with it on WU.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 08:52:14 PM »

Oh okay I guess I will just have to live with it on WU.

For now yes. Unless they bring back the editing function that used to exists. I miss it too.
Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 01:55:37 AM »
For now yes. Unless they bring back the editing function that used to exists. I miss it too.
Without the ability to correct erroneous data WU's data archive is just slightly better than useless. At this point, and considering how WU has co-opted this forum, I'm not sure there is any reason to continue to waste effort trying to improve it when they really aren't interested in hearing any of it.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 04:22:23 AM »
Without the ability to correct erroneous data WU's data archive is just slightly better than useless. At this point, and considering how WU has co-opted this forum, I'm not sure there is any reason to continue to waste effort trying to improve it when they really aren't interested in hearing any of it.

For this issue you should give WU a pass.
Can you name any online weather service that allows you the ability to delete/edit bad data? I upload to 12 online services. Not one of them gives you this ability to delete/edit bad data.

Of course I really want this feature and WU has plenty of faults to criticize, but this isn't one of them.
Tele-Pole

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 03:24:40 PM »
I disagree that WU has "co-opted this forum" -- they are participating in the discussions.  The topics that report new errata without hostility do seem to get responses.. the rant ones are (wisely) ignored.  AFAIK, this is the only non-WU-operated venue where we have WU folks trying to respond, so let's keep it polite, please.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 08:36:33 PM »
For this issue you should give WU a pass.
Can you name any online weather service that allows you the ability to delete/edit bad data? I upload to 12 online services. Not one of them gives you this ability to delete/edit bad data.

Yes.  Weather Underground before the last revision.  You could go into the table and remove rows with bad data entries (like a 60 MPH wind gust that shook out 0.01" of rain for example).

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 08:44:21 PM »
I disagree that WU has "co-opted this forum" -- they are participating in the discussions.  The topics that report new errata without hostility do seem to get responses.. the rant ones are (wisely) ignored.  AFAIK, this is the only non-WU-operated venue where we have WU folks trying to respond, so let's keep it polite, please.

I'll keep it as polite as the situation requires.  However, threatening to report members for posting what they don't like is not the way to enable a polite discussion and makes you look bad.
Quote from: WunderTodd (PWS PM)
Any similar behavior displayed in other threads will be forwarded to moderators for their consideration.

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 11:14:44 PM »
Until wu gets a real customer support system, trouble tickets etc, they will be subject to user frustration etc.  Yes they are "free" but they get adverts and data sales.   WU rapid fire and vast network are assets no other service can touch.  Lets hope they work this out.  I have like so many users invested money and time in stations and data feeds. I would like to invest in a better web cam but am waiting for a better web cam experience on WU.  So many companies have made a profit on lots less margins than WU has. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:03:23 AM by antstrafer »
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 03:11:41 AM »
For admin on this forum to threaten users is a mistake and I hope an apology is forthcoming.

No, admin did not threaten. Therefore no apology necessary. That was WU that said they would report bad behavior. But WU was not out of line for saying what they did. That was not a threat. When someone says that they are going to call the police if you come back around with your bad antics is not a threat. That is a justifiable warning. A threat is when you are the instigator of bad behavior and are the one claiming to do harm if you don't get your evil way. I can see how either could be twisted to seem like a justifiable warning. But the difference is a threat is the intent to do harm maliciously without regard for laws or rules.

The forum rules are clear. You can express your views and disagreement without getting nasty and uncivil. Ultimately it is up to the admin to decide what is what isn't acceptable and where to draw the line. There is no quorum necessary. This is a private venue and the admin is the ultimate judge, jury and executioner. Don't like it? Then build your own website forum and make up your own rules.

EDIT: So while I was posting this I see you now took out that line I quoted. I guess you realized it was not fitting. But that line was left there for several hours before I posted. I can also see how WSWeather's post could be misunderstood and seen as though they are talking about the admin, but they aren't. It is just the order of the statement versus the quote that makes it at first seem that way. Regardless I'm going to let this post of mine stay because I might help others. This post also has merit for general forum management and it is also a response to the situation regarding WU's justifiable statement.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:58:14 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything