Author Topic: BUYING DAVIS PRO 2___Opinions on the Davis 07747 Solar Powered Fan addon  (Read 3117 times)

Offline CooperH

• ?
Greetings:

Decided on Davis Pro 2__#6322_ should I purchase the Davis #07747 Solar Powered Daytime fan___is it worth it?

Thank you in advance,
Charles

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Depends on your climate.   If the air doesn't move much on the average sure.

I have the 24 hr.  Today I have to replace the batteries and while I am doing that the fan just because.   with the daylight one, no battery replacement and during the heating part of the day, works exactly the same.

I am in Iowa and the summers get hot and the nights sticky and humid. it makes sense.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
Simple, one word answer    YES
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Two words yes and yes. Be sure and check Scaled Instruments discount price list. Some of his new stations are coming with the new SHT31 sensor. Not sure if that includes the #6322 but ask.  Ryan will work with the customer so ask.
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
I buy from Scaled Instruments and they have the best prices and service.

Offline CooperH

• ?

In closing, long ago, I think on Saturday mornings were heard, " Happy trails to you, until we meet again, Happy trails to you, keep paying your taxes until then"  Roy and Dale Rogers (RIP)

Over to you
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:40:22 AM by CooperH »

Offline CooperH

• ?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:41:01 AM by CooperH »

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
WOW !    MAJOR UPDATE____

Everybody is up early__"bright eyed & bushy tailed" __( from the old days__quote) 

Thank you all so very much__so quick too! 

OK____2 days ago( Thursday ) I discovered Ryan at  Scaled Instruments _____He answered  the phone, we chatted and without  logging on, he gave me the price of all the Davis
items I mentioned, and what a nice chap! 

This morning__while most here were sleeping in____after posting question regarding the Solar Powered fan, ( OK, how many males and females here claim they don't have a "box room" or
a place the stash items they KNOW they will use "someday"___Please raise you're hands if you Don't!  Come on, ___As least you have a cardboard box hidden with  `stuff' you might use someday,but probably never will.

Anyhoo___after posting here this very day, I wandered into our "box room"__met my wife "borrowing from my secret tool box"  __She always promises to put it back, and Never does.

Right in the middle of the box room, low and behold, is/was a Davis 07747 Daytime fan kit___Yep___just saved myself___( if it still works)  purchased 27 December 2011, ( about 4.5 years ago)
for  $121.50 the paper work is here.  Having viewed them online, this one is slightly different____it has the Solar fan, the Solar panel, and 4 funny looking `pie-pan like extras' maybe they belong in the kitchen?  No, it is not written in  Chinese or languages I never learned.

Again I am indebted to all of you for the ASAP____replies,____Overwhelmed by the quick, polite response from so many. if I knew anyone who also was interested in the weather, I would send them here, and collect money from them and ship over-night to the "Mods" here, and would not keep a dime.

Thank you all so very much___I'm  just overwhelmed by the friendly folks here and sincere help in nano-seconds.

In closing, long ago, I think on Saturday mornings were heard, " Happy trails to you, until we meet again, Happy trails to you, keep paying your taxes until then"  Roy and Dale Rogers (RIP)

Over to you
. I know they stuffed Trigger. I hope Roy and Dale didn't meet such a fate.  ;)

PS. I ordered a new fan, two rechargeable batteries and a couple of the mounting spacers from him.  (I know myself, things roll off the work bench and go somewhere... )  on Tuesday.  Friday it arrived.   good prices and he sends it right out.

Offline CooperH

• ?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:41:28 AM by CooperH »

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
I was industrious today.   Replaced the batteries in the 24 hr Fars.  They were worn out as the fan only went on when the sun hit it. SO I  did that, replaced the fan while I had the station apart  and gave it a canned air dusting.

I have a recommendation,  when you are working on the FARS, regardless of the type, unplug the rain from the ISS  that will prevent it sending any crap out.

Oh. and I managed to cuss a bit trying to fish cable through that tiny port opening in the ISS. Geez   they could have made the design a bit better.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Oh. and I managed to cuss a bit trying to fish cable through that tiny port opening in the ISS. Geez   they could have made the design a bit better.
Ain't that the truth! ](*,)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
I have spoken to the Davis gods, and they pass it along. My biggest worry is snapping off a connector tab in the process. the best part is I don't have to do that operation often. 

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
I carved the hole out bigger with an Xacto knife on a couple of my stations. The SIM housing comes off the rain base quite easily.

I have spoken to the Davis gods, and they pass it along. My biggest worry is snapping off a connector tab in the process. the best part is I don't have to do that operation often.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
I purchased the daylight FARS (Davis part 7747) from Ryan a few weeks ago. Yes, he is great to work with. He is honest, and provides great feedback on products he sells. Unfortunately, my daytime unit does not receive a lot of sun. The 24 hour unit, because a lack of sunshine, would not be worth the money--constantly changing batteries as they wouldn't be getting properly charged. A FARS unit running off AC power would be ideal, but getting such power across my yard to the ISS is not practical, so I will live with daytime only--a good addition to my station. Now the truth. I replaced my 11 year old VP2 ISS and it had a daytime fan installed. Obviously, I had added it but forgot that I had. I was getting periodic weird readings from my new ISS and decided maybe the daytime fan would help--it did.  :grin:
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
A pair of 12VDC car batteries would do the job. Use one while the other sits on a 'trickle charger' then when the first gets "low" swap them. A 12VDC fan would be needed. Could also be done for a 6VDC fan, but 6VDC batteries aren't as readily found these days.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Coolerman

6 Volt batteries are easy to find! A lot of today's UPS's use 6 volt batteries (two in series to make +12volts). Golf cart batteries are 6V also. I have a pair of Trojan T105's 6 volts in my camper. Even the 6 volt square lantern batteries are still available.
Another option would be to buy or build a 6 volt regulator, allowing use of a +12 volt battery.
Davis VP2 Pro Plus w/FARS, CoCoRaHS Station KY-GD-2

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
the Davis fan that comes with either Fars kit is a "C" 1.5 volt Cell.  It has two and they run about 3 volts total. Hooking up a honking battery as suggested would fry that little motor.

How about shopping around on the internet for a battery holder for "C" cells, an and a water proof case. Pelican makes small cases or you could go the Davis route.
Mount the battery holder into the case, drill some wire holes for the leads you are going to solder to the cells (you want  to run them in series) .  Then on the FARS unit  on the daytime unit, the solar panel is on the ISS face. You have two panels , one that connects to the ISS and the other to the Motor unit.   connect the wires to the motor unit that would be going into the ISS .   Then you can run the fan with the battery compartment outside of the Unit.  You can buy those batteries in bulk.

A second solution,  How high is your wind guage?  is it on pole ?   

Around here I have noticed that the city has many security cameras (traffic and red light)  with solar panels powering them.   You could  mount below your wind gauge a solar panel that puts out 3 volts, they make them,  and have it up that high, run the leads down and connect it to the motor leads and have it run the unit that way.

A third solution, can you move the location of your ISS?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
the Davis fan that comes with either Fars kit is a "C" 1.5 volt Cell.  It has two and they run about 3 volts total. Hooking up a honking battery as suggested would fry that little motor.
No sir, they're two 1.2 volt Ni-Cads, and running 3 volts would probably fry the motor too, eventually. The max out put of the solar panel is ~ 2.4v.

Offline CooperH

• ?
Have been receiving email regarding batteries___

Over the years___for garden type solar lights__and others, we have found that the
Sanyo  Eneloop batteries are unbelievable___twice a year or so, take a small steel file,
file the contacts on the batteries and device you are using, with rain/snow, High heat,
these things are will  just keep on working.
Sanyo  Eneloop,  HR-3UTGA    `AA'___1.2 V___1,900mAh NIMH type,
we have had a large number of them over the last years. Just clean the contacts, and they will keep surprising you.
Made in Japan They do make a plugin charger too.

Many stores use to carry them,we think they just lasted too long and `out shined' other types.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
Have been receiving email regarding batteries___

Over the years___for garden type solar lights__and others, we have found that the
Sanyo  Eneloop batteries are unbelievable___twice a year or so, take a small steel file,
file the contacts on the batteries and device you are using, with rain/snow, High heat,
these things are will  just keep on working.
Sanyo  Eneloop,  HR-3UTGA    `AA'___1.2 V___1,900mAh NIMH type,
we have had a large number of them over the last years. Just clean the contacts, and they will keep surprising you.
Made in Japan They do make a plugin charger too.

Many stores use to carry them,we think they just lasted too long and `out shined' other types.
FYI, the OE batts are 2300mAh.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
No sir, they're two 1.2 volt Ni-Cads, and running 3 volts would probably fry the motor too, eventually. The max out put of the solar panel is ~ 2.4v.
Ok  whatever.   I have a charger that first does a deep discharge then charges up the replacement batteries before I replace them.  I just did that Saturday with a new phone and we are good to go. However I have the 24 hour variety.

good luck on whatever you choose .

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
Ok  whatever.
Just tryin' to give the facts.....

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
Ok  whatever.
And we thank you for it.  Now back to the question, can a solar panel running 2.4 volts be put up high enough to get the correct voltage to the motor?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
Ok  whatever.
And we thank you for it.  Now back to the question, can a solar panel running 2.4 volts be put up high enough to get the correct voltage to the motor?
What kind of motor? The thread is ambiguous.

anything