Author Topic: Question about lightning issue.  (Read 5140 times)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Question about lightning issue.
« on: December 16, 2018, 09:08:03 PM »
Howdy, I have placed an order for the lightning detector for my Atlas. The other day I did ask Acu-rite support about the false lightning strike issue and here's the response I got,

"Hello Matt,
If you are having lighting only during sunny days, the Atlas would need to be sent back to us to make the correction. Some interference was coming off the power wire for the fan. Based on small differences on how far the wire was split or resting, it could potentially create the problem. That's why the issue is only seen when the aspirating fan is receiving power and running."

I'm a bit reluctant to send it back to Acu-rite (and pay shipping) seems like the solution is known to them and probably known amongst the community here so I'm wondering if it might be better to risk a voided warranty and make the repair myself or just send the sensor to them?

Also, does it make a difference from a warranty standpoint if the sensor was purchased on eBay rather than through them?

Thanks.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
Re: Question about lightning issue.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 09:42:15 PM »
Howdy, I have placed an order for the lightning detector for my Atlas. The other day I did ask Acu-rite support about the false lightning strike issue and here's the response I got,

"Hello Matt,
If you are having lighting only during sunny days, the Atlas would need to be sent back to us to make the correction. Some interference was coming off the power wire for the fan. Based on small differences on how far the wire was split or resting, it could potentially create the problem. That's why the issue is only seen when the aspirating fan is receiving power and running."

I'm a bit reluctant to send it back to Acu-rite (and pay shipping) seems like the solution is known to them and probably known amongst the community here so I'm wondering if it might be better to risk a voided warranty and make the repair myself or just send the sensor to them?

Also, does it make a difference from a warranty standpoint if the sensor was purchased on eBay rather than through them?

Thanks.

I bought my Atlas from Acurite directly and it had the false lightning issue. Sent it back, they fixed it, and they provided a shipping label via email. I did not have to pay for shipping, so you should not be either I would think. They fixed mine and I have had no issues since. I wouldn't expect to pay shipping and that be the reason you try fixing it yourself and potentially mess it up more and void the warranty. Just my thoughts, since I know they will fix it right.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 10:13:01 PM »
Thanks. BTW, how long does it usually take to go to an from their office?

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 10:23:22 PM »
Thanks. BTW, how long does it usually take to go to an from their office?

I wish I could answer that, but that would depend on where you live and Acurite's demand right now, especially since it's the holiday season. For me, I can say they were prompt. Everyone's situation can potentially be different also.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 08:45:52 AM »
I was looking at the wiring on mine, and it appears you would need to take off the radiation shield, and the bottom half of the Atlas. Not knowing where the wire for the motor should go would be a reason not to try to fix it. Maybe someone who does could give a pic of what to do? If this voids the warranty, I would send it back and let them do it... I know they would not void the warranty if you separated the 5n1 for cleaning etc.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 08:47:29 AM »
every time someone talks about lightning, I think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJmXc1Vz8A8

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 12:17:31 PM »
They don't want you making the repair yourself you need to send it back they want to do it.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 04:18:32 PM »
Thanks. I did some reading and seems like some sensors don't have the lightning issue so I'll probably wait until I get the detector to determine if I even need to send it in.

Taking what Mirwin275 said about the holiday season delays I'll probably wait until after the holidays to send it in. Our storm chase season doesn't begin until March so I've got some time.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 05:11:06 PM »
Got the lightning detector today and sure enough it's doing it. I'm going to wait until after new year's day to send it in. I'm not sure how long it usually takes for them to fix the issue but I'm hoping to have it back by January 19th. The NWS is doing their Skywarn event for our area and my chase team is introducing our new vehicle so I'd love to have it back in time for that.

Thanks.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 05:29:25 PM »
Got the lightning detector today and sure enough it's doing it.
They're still sending out bogus units? They should have pulled every one back when the problem was identified instead of making owners go through the hassle of doing it themselves, hoping that they'd get a problem free one. :roll:

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 02:14:24 AM »
I bought mine on eBay NIB about a month ago. I'm not sure if they're still sending out one's with the lightning issues.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 03:06:57 AM »
I bought mine on eBay NIB about a month ago. I'm not sure if they're still sending out one's with the lightning issues.

Acurite doesn't have authorized resellers on eBay.  You likely bought someone's used return.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 03:17:41 AM »

Unfortunately, yes.

Acurite gear purchased on eBay is of questionable legitimacy and they may not honor the warranty.  Acurite has been warning against buying "new" gear on eBay for at least a couple years now. 

There are a lot of lousy people out there.  Several months back a guy was bragging on Facebook how he was getting a warranty replacement from Acurite and then was listing both the original unit and replacement for sale on eBay.

He got banned from the groups shortly after that, so I don't know how it all turned out.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 03:19:44 AM by nincehelser »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 09:52:06 AM »

If Acurite can't fix it, take a look at Nincehelsers' photos of the tear-down of his Atlas. They are on page 2 on this forum. It may help you fix the issue. Some others may can help as well if you have any questions. I would hate to see you get suckered. Nothing frustrates me more...

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 10:22:13 PM »

If Acurite can't fix it, take a look at Nincehelsers' photos of the tear-down of his Atlas. They are on page 2 on this forum. It may help you fix the issue. Some others may can help as well if you have any questions. I would hate to see you get suckered. Nothing frustrates me more...

Acurite will be able to fix it. They fixed mine and I have had no false lightning issues since.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 11:31:11 AM »

Acurite will be able to fix it. They fixed mine and I have had no false lightning issues since.
I know they can fix it, but if he doesn't have a warranty they may not fix it for free... since he bought it from an auction site.

Offline John Z

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 09:40:24 AM »
AcuRite had me return an Atlas this fall so that the lightning issue could be fixed. The device was reworked and returned promptly. I reinstalled it about two weeks ago, and am pleased to say it is working perfectly. No more false detections. Good reporting of true strikes.

Thanks, AcuRite team!  Best wishes for 2019!

Offline JonEricG

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 09:34:14 AM »
Is there such thing as lightning strikes in the winter? I’m here in Ontario Canada and it’s -8 degrees Celsius and I got a lightning strike detected at 4am this morning.  Is this false or true?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 09:47:51 AM »

Offline John Z

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 01:02:42 PM »
JonEricG,

Is your sensor a 500KHz radio receiver,  like the Franklin chip devices? If so, you may have registered a lightning strike from quite far away. At night, ionospheric radio propagation can take place over hundreds, even thousands of miles at 500KHz. You may have registered a strike from Texas/Gulf Coast or out in the Atlantic. Blitzortung showed activity in these areas at your reported time.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 01:08:06 PM »
\:D/
JonEricG,

Is your sensor a 500KHz radio receiver,  like the Franklin chip devices? If so, you may have registered a lightning strike from quite far away. At night, ionospheric radio propagation can take place over hundreds, even thousands of miles at 500KHz. You may have registered a strike from Texas/Gulf Coast or out in the Atlantic. Blitzortung showed activity in these areas at your reported time.

The Atlas lightning detector's range is only up to 25 miles away, so that is probably not the case for him.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 01:27:08 PM »
Is there such thing as lightning strikes in the winter?
Certainly one of the coolest things I've witnessed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundersnow

Offline JonEricG

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2019, 01:29:13 PM »
Yes lightning can strike in the winter.  But neither mine or Anne-Marie's Blitzortung in Beamsville http://www.beamsvillewx.ca/ show any local detection in the last day.
https://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortung/america/index.php?bo_page=archive&bo_map=north_middle_america&lang=en&bo_year=2019&bo_month=01&bo_day=26&bo_hour_from=0&bo_hour_range=24&bo_animation=1#bo_arch_strikes_maps_form

Enjoy,
Paul

Thank you. I just took a look at January 27th and I see a strike near Buffalo at 9-10 UTC which is 4am est. Awesome!

Offline John Z

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2019, 01:35:41 PM »
Mirwin275,

That range figure assumes ground wave propagation. If ionospheric bouncing (sky wave) is taking place, all bets are off. Signals originating from quite far away can seem like they come from across town.Turn on your AM car radio some night and tune around. You will very likely find that you can hear signals from far, far away.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2019, 01:43:58 PM »
Mirwin275,

That range figure assumes ground wave propagation. If ionospheric bouncing (sky wave) is taking place, all bets are off. Signals originating from quite far away can seem like they come from across town.Turn on your AM car radio some night and tune around. You will very likely find that you can hear signals from far, far away.

Love that. Had a station from Buffalo, NY in MPLS one night.

WHO is Des Moines can be heard in a lot of the country at night, especially in winter.

AM super stations.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

anything