Author Topic: Question about ISS placement - (distance above ground)  (Read 4140 times)

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
    • http://eetee.us/station/station.php
Question about ISS placement - (distance above ground)
« on: January 24, 2007, 01:42:41 PM »
The CWOP guide mentions that 5' above the ground is optimal placement for the temp./hum. instruments.  Is that to say that AT LEAST 5' above the ground is optimal?  Is 15' above the ground not as good?

Is there a way to know if/how much, the air cools/heats the higher the instrument?
South of the Tracks, Anchorage, KY

Offline Bruiser

• Contributor
    • Miami Township (Just South of Dayton), Ohio Weather
Re: Question about ISS placement - (distance above ground)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 02:03:37 PM »
It would be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference in temperature readings.  As many temperature readings are taken (I believe) at 2 meters (6 feet 6 3/4 inches), I installed mine at that level.  I like it at that level as I see models run 2 meter temp forecasts as well.

Offline Clammer

• Weather "On the Beach"
Re: Question about ISS placement - (distance above ground)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 03:17:17 PM »
Hi!
    My ISS is about 16 ft above the ground and I don't see any difference in outside temps versus my oldstyle mercury thermometer mounted at eye level in a shady place under my home which is on stilts!  There is a miniscule difference in my baro readings, which is easily compensated in my software.  Your winds are going to be different than when your anemometer is up at the correct height (which I think is 33 ft ), and I don't know how you can correct that!

Best,

Clammer

anything