Author Topic: New to forum - Upgrade weather station?  (Read 13796 times)

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
Re: New to forum - Upgrade weather station?
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 04:04:25 PM »

Where are you located in Michigan?

Thanks.

Offline mi77915

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 07:06:19 PM »
I live in Milford Michigan

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 07:29:12 PM »

I live nearby... Send an email to wuhu_software at yahoo.com.

Offline mi77915

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 11:18:31 AM »
After spending a few weeks doing as much research as I possible can in regards to which unit I wiil purchase to replace my old La Crosse unit, I have pretty much decided that it will be the OS WMR100N. It seems to have all the functionality that I am looking for (link to PC, upload to future website, wireless....). The price is right about what I was originally going to spend. I wish the receiving unit was like the WMR968, but I think the WMR100N receiving unit will work just fine.

I have not purchased it yet, but I hope to within the next week or so.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 12:07:27 PM »
I have never heard a positive thing about the wmr100.  I would steer clear.

I know you have been doing a lot of research, and you are bound by your budget, which is fine.. but it would be a shame to spend your budget on that item only to be very unimpressed. 

So I would either save another $50 and get the 968 (only $40 for the green one)... or there must be some other stable Lacrosse units in your price range...lacrosse owners please chime in.

Andrew

After spending a few weeks doing as much research as I possible can in regards to which unit I wiil purchase to replace my old La Crosse unit, I have pretty much decided that it will be the OS WMR100N. It seems to have all the functionality that I am looking for (link to PC, upload to future website, wireless....). The price is right about what I was originally going to spend. I wish the receiving unit was like the WMR968, but I think the WMR100N receiving unit will work just fine.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 12:20:24 PM »
For around a hundred bucks you can get  the Dallas 1-wire system from aagelectronica.com    The stations work as advertized.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline wxkpt

• Kingsport, TN Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • When The Weather Gets Tough.. Get With The Weather
    • Kingsport, TN Live and Local weather
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2009, 12:25:37 PM »
I have 2 wmr-100's and have been running fine for over a year now on the same battery's  \:D/
I have heard a lot of bad things about this unit I guess I got the last 2 good ones....lol :lol:

Offline mi77915

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2009, 01:20:09 PM »
For someone like myself that is getting more serious about this hobby (more serious that I have been in the past), the amount of information available is somewhat overwhelming. I have around $150 +- to spend on this weather station and I am trying to find a good unit. I would prefer that the entire system be wireless. Battery operated units are O.K., solar is even better.  I also would like to be able to download the data from this unit to my PC and eventually upload (in somewhat real time) data to my future weather web site.

From what I have been reading (as well as the comments and suggestions here – many thanks to all who have contributed) seem to point to the Oregon Scientific units. The other unit that is in that price range is the Honeywell TE831W-2. I have not read too much, good or bad about this unit. I do have to say that I like the look of the receiving unit. One of the drawbacks that I have read about this unit is that it may not be compatible with some of the software that I would eventually use to upload the data to my future weather website.?

The La Crosse units are inexpensive, but everything is wired to the temperature gauge, that is something that I am trying to stay away from if possible. The layout of my yard is what is dictating this.   

I will have to rethink my decision. I thank you all for all the information that you have provided me with so far.

MANY THANKS,

Tom

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 01:43:45 AM »

I preface this posting with 2 statements:

1) I have purchased almost all of my weather equipment from Ambient because of their price and service.

2) Although I am a member of Costco I dislike going there, and seldom purchase anything from them if the same item is available from a local merchant at a reasonable price. 

Despite the above, I would  probably buy an OS weather station from them;  if it stopped working, or it did not meet my expectations I would be able to return it for a full refund without any questions asked.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 02:29:38 PM »
I have a WMR100B that I've had for a year and a half. The first unit I received didn't work, had to send it back. Now my temp sensor (and humidity I believe) is not working properly. Plus, I can't get a replacement sensor (it's all integrated into one unit, apparently they don't make it anymore), so I'm kinda stuck.

I'm chunking everything and getting a Davis Vue.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 11:59:55 AM »
I did it! Just purchased the Vantage Vue with the serial logger. Couldn't stand my WMR100 any longer. It showed temps here of about 85 degrees this morning... and it was about 55.  :roll:

It's embarrassing to have a decent website with bad data. No more...

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 12:21:43 PM »
Steve, I hope you will give us a full report on your new Vue when you get it set up.  I'm especially curious how well the non-aspirated shield will work in keeping the air temps from soaring when the sun hits the Vue's radiation shielding. Also the real world accuracy of the Vue's "tipping spoon" compared to a tipping bucket on the VP2 will be interesting.

Dave
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline TorH

• Forecaster
    • Været på Fauske
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 01:08:10 PM »
Well Steve, I'll be waiting for a feedback and a report on it, I'm curios  :wink:

Hope you get satisfied with it  :grin:
Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
VWS V14.00 p103, WD ver.10.37N, WL 5.8.2, VVP.
WeatherFlash
DW1549
WeatherUnderground: INORDLAN14
http://bjornli.net                     

anything