Miscellaneous Debris > For Sale/Wanted

WANTED--HEATER ***UPDATE-UPDATE***

(1/4) > >>

NiceBill:

The above photo is of a Davis heater assembly for the VP-2.  The elongated component on the top is the heater.  24 Watt 24 Volt.  I believe 1/2" in diameter and about 4-1/2" long.

I am in hopes of building my own heater assembly and am looking for the heater, any help would be appreciated.  I have all of the other components to complete the assembly.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)

SLOweather:
Well, as usual, I'll start typing and figure it out as I go. :)

Time for a little Ohm's law. In this case,

Watts = amps x volts
24w = X amps x 24 volts

solve for amps

24 w/24 v = 1 amp

Now, more Ohm's Law.

Volts = Amps x Resistance

24v = 1a x Xr

Solve for X

24v / 1a = 24 ohms

So, you need about a 24 ohm/24 watt power resistor.

A quick check of the Rat Shack site shows a few different power resistors. Time for more Ohm's Law. Resistors in series add, resistors in parallel divide.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062293 is a 2-pack of 100 ohm/10 watt power resistors for $1.99. If we get 2 packs, we have 4 100 ohm resistors. If you wire all of them in parallel, you effectively get a 25 ohm, 40 watt resistor.

Try that. For 4 bucks, you can't go too far wrong. The resistance is the important parameter. The wattage rating is OK as long as it's bigger than the calculation.

In any case, try it on the bench first. Theory is OK, real life testing is better. I'm not sure what the heat gain will be.

Chris

NiceBill:

Thanks Chris,

I think I just had a LOMA, just trying to figure out what it was.  Know the Ohm's law, haven't applied it in some years, I know it hasn't changed. ](*,)

That's a great start.  Time to get fooling around.

Thanks again,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :grin:

blackjack52:
Don't do the tongue test on this one Bill.

NiceBill:

The way I would test a can when I was in High School, was to plug it in to an outlet and when classes would change, toss it to some guy and holler CATCH.  Great can tester. :twisted:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version