Author Topic: Atlas Has Arrived  (Read 20327 times)

Offline SkellyCA

Re: Atlas Has Arrived
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »
I guess if you didn't get in on the $40 Access upgrade, this is a way to get back in the game.

$199 for an Atlas and an Access.   :shock:

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01008M-Weather-Station-Monitoring/dp/B074XK4BSN/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1537545709&sr=8-5&keywords=Acurite+atlas

Amazon is losing money on this. I would jump on this quick before it changes... The Atlas is worth at least $185 by itself .

Actually, the Atlas by itself sells for $150 on the Acurite site.
They are giving customers a break right now I believe. You must have something to view the data on right, either a display or an access... So you have to spend more than that.

Amazon is selling both the Atlas and display for $199; I already has the Access. So $199 is really all I have to spend. If I want to add options like the Lightning detector then I could spend more.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2018, 04:34:27 PM »
I took the plunge for the $275 Amazon set...I already have an Access but 10 sensors and would like to add two more so it seemed a good way to get everything online down the road.

My 5-1 was new in January 2016 and had the temperature issue.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2018, 07:05:24 PM »
I guess if you didn't get in on the $40 Access upgrade, ...

Not unless you live in the US.  I tried to get in on the Access upgrade and finally gave up.  They would not ship to Canada using US postal service; would not accept a non-US credit card and even when I used a US credit card they would not ship to my freight forwarder.  Their plan was use FedEx and pay about 2-3 times the upgrade cost in brokerage, duty etc. 

And they are still doing it...
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2018, 07:13:10 PM »
I am really fighting the urge to go with the $275 Amazon deal. So far, I have convinced myself to wait until next spring, even though I know that price will probably no longer be available. Waiting will give some time for real-world user reviews to show up  and for potential quality issues to be exposed. Plus, maybe some additional information about the Elite will be come out by then.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2018, 07:28:58 PM »
One can never have too many weather stations.....  :lol:
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2018, 07:39:14 PM »
I am really fighting the urge to go with the $275 Amazon deal. So far, I have convinced myself to wait until next spring, even though I know that price will probably no longer be available. Waiting will give some time for real-world user reviews to show up  and for potential quality issues to be exposed. Plus, maybe some additional information about the Elite will be come out by then.

It's savings of $115 or about 30%  :!:  ;)
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2018, 08:03:52 PM »
Like vreihen says you can never have too many weather stations.  Took the Amazon plunge today.  Currently have Davis Vantage Pro, Vantage Vue, Weather Flow, 5 in 1 and shortly the Atlas.  Wife wants me to visit the shrink but they are just a man and his toys.

Offline abusuzuki

« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2018, 04:38:19 AM »
What is the appropriate diameter size for the pole that fits the Atlas sensor ? is it the same as 5in1 ? I see through the pictures that the free mounting bracket that comes with the sensor resembles the one with 5in1 so I just want to make sure.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2018, 05:23:02 AM »
What is the appropriate diameter size for the pole that fits the Atlas sensor ? is it the same as 5in1 ? I see through the pictures that the free mounting bracket that comes with the sensor resembles the one with 5in1 so I just want to make sure.

I'm not sure that's properly documented anywhere, but the pole diameter of the 5n1 (3/4") will work just fine.

The way the mount works the diameter of the pole isn't critical.  I'm just guessing a range here, but maybe 3/4" to 2" diameter will work fine.

Update: I've just read a statement from Acurite support that the maximum supported pole diameter is 1 1/4".
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:36:10 PM by nincehelser »

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2018, 07:53:38 AM »
WOW!
Its now down to $256.19 & Free Shipping for the Atlas, HD Display, Access and Lightning Detection.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01007M-Touchscreen-Monitoring-Lightning/dp/B074XKB239/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1537617015&sr=1-1&keywords=Acurite+%22Atlas%22

Update:
I just canceled the order I made yesterday for the $199 Atlas & Monitor and ordered the above deal.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:07:18 AM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2018, 08:54:11 AM »
WOW!
Its now down to $256.19 & Free Shipping for the Atlas, HD Display, Access and Lightning Detection.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01007M-Touchscreen-Monitoring-Lightning/dp/B074XKB239/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1537617015&sr=1-1&keywords=Acurite+%22Atlas%22

Update:
I just canceled the order I made yesterday for the $199 Atlas & Monitor and ordered the above deal.

Wow is right.

Unfortunately I was in unable to cancel my order. I hate when that happens with Amazon  and the price drops just after you bought something. Even though I have prime my original order states Tuesday and not Monday for delivery.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2018, 09:14:16 AM »
WOW!

Update:

Wow is right.

Unfortunately I was in unable to cancel my order. I hate when that happens with Amazon  and the price drops just after you bought something. Even though I have prime my original order states Tuesday and not Monday for delivery.

I know Amazon changed their policies but it may be worth your while to ask for a price drop refund since its within 7 days of ordering. Good luck!

Select returns and refunds:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline txbayou

« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2018, 11:03:28 AM »
further info on Amazon price drop refunds: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/request-amazon-price-change-refund/

I splurged yesterday for the $275 bundle and just tried to get the 7% overnight price drop refunded by chat, but they refused.

Looks like in this case 1. they were following the practice of some Ebay sellers, and dropping the price on weekends to keep sales up, and 2. working toward perfecting their model of dynamic pricing with no overlap periods.

The 7% price drop would have almost cancelled the sales tax that I have to pay on Amazon orders--which the state of Texas then passes on to Amazon as a subsidy. Games.  #-o

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2018, 11:12:37 AM »
further info on Amazon price drop refunds: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/request-amazon-price-change-refund/

I splurged yesterday for the $275 bundle and just tried to get the 7% overnight price drop refunded by chat, but they refused.

Looks like in this case 1. they were following the practice of some Ebay sellers, and dropping the price on weekends to keep sales up, and 2. working toward perfecting their model of dynamic pricing with no overlap periods.

The 7% price drop would have almost cancelled the sales tax that I have to pay on Amazon orders--which the state of Texas then passes on to Amazon as a subsidy. Games.  #-o

I had the same "no luck" via chat. Same here with the tax in Ohio. The odd part is if I ordered today to get the $18.91 off, it would arrive Monday but the current order is scheduled for Tuesday. I am still debating if it is worth the hassle to return the original one to save the cash...seems like glitches happen when trying that route.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline mdbelt

« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2018, 10:50:26 PM »
I just got my Atlas from Amazon today.  It's awesome.  Everything pictured was included.  Station, Display, Access, & Lightning Sensor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074XKB239

Looks like pole size of anywhere from 1 & 1/16" to 1 & 1/2" will work.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:53:27 PM by mdbelt »

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2018, 08:29:45 AM »
Mine arrived yesterday and luckily got it up prior to a good storm.

I noticed the rain measured was .07" lower than two other rain gauges I have. The others measured .29" and the Atlas measured .22"

I did not see instructions on adjusting the rain gauge.

I was also wondering what is the +/- norms in rain measurement? I would think just a few big drops/gusts would cause some variations. .07" of rain is not a lot.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2018, 09:02:20 AM »
Mine arrived yesterday and luckily got it up prior to a good storm.

I noticed the rain measured was .07" lower than two other rain gauges I have. The others measured .29" and the Atlas measured .22"

I did not see instructions on adjusting the rain gauge.

I was also wondering what is the +/- norms in rain measurement? I would think just a few big drops/gusts would cause some variations. .07" of rain is not a lot.

Mine were lower on my only rain event too, similar to your readings. I attribute my lower readings to an unlevel unit. I noticed I didn’t have my unit mounted properly to the pole, and fixed that. So, I’m now hoping to have a leveled unit and proper rain readings.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2018, 09:23:36 AM »
I had to adjust the rain tipper screws a little bit on my Atlas also. It was reading just a little low. Afterwards, it's very accurate. The adjustments are very easy to tweak.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2018, 09:49:46 AM »
I had to adjust the rain tipper screws a little bit on my Atlas also. It was reading just a little low. Afterwards, it's very accurate. The adjustments are very easy to tweak.
Glad to hear its adjustable, wish it was stated in the manual.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2018, 10:03:01 AM »
Glad to hear its adjustable, wish it was stated in the manual.

Yes...I could not find the information as well.

Is it like the 5 in 1?  Are there screws underneath or do you open the hood up? I do not have the unit in front of me to see where the screws are. I did make sure the bubble is dead center when it was installed.

BTW, I installed in on my old 5 in 1 pole...distance is about 100 feet with a historic brick farmhouse.

From 5 in 1 manual:
"Be sure to adjust both screws the same amount. Turning screws clockwise will increase rainfall amount. Turning screw counter clockwise will decrease it.

Adjustment:
To adjust the rainfall reading by 2% turn both screws 1/8  of a turn.
To adjust the rainfall reading by 4% turn both screws 1/4 of a turn.
To adjust the rainfall reading by 8% turn both screws 1/2 of a turn."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:11:46 AM by MacGarage »
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2018, 10:37:14 AM »
Open up the rain bucket. Two phillips screws in there. Just turn them both the same amount, not quite a quarter turn, to make the tipper move sooner to empty the rain out.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2018, 12:22:16 PM »
It this high number of lightning strikes normal on a cloudy day? I did have rain earlier but it was about six hours prior to the recent strikes.

EDIT: Within the last hour, the number of strikes is now close to 1000! The storm that went through was early AM. No rain or stikes showing on radar maps.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 01:20:37 PM by MacGarage »
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2018, 01:37:31 PM »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2018, 01:43:52 PM »
Yes...I was looking at various lightning maps. I am in SW Ohio.

40 minutes later, it is up to over 1200!

This is posted close to a rural farm fence with power lines about 100 feet or so away.

Edit: I am up to over 1800 now. It seems the stronger the sun, the more strikes. I did contact support and they told me to remove the lithium batteries and install alkaline and then reset the Access and see what happens. Odd also is that the strikes are recorded at prior to the actual time (ie real-time/Access time is 4:00 pm but the strike is recorded at 4:33 pm).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 04:02:31 PM by MacGarage »
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2018, 03:15:42 PM »
I opened the rain bucket to calibrate the rain gauge and the solar cable plug came unplugged. I plugged it back in and everything seems to be working OK.

I can’t hear the fan. I assume as long as I’m getting UV and solar readings everything is plugged back in correctly?

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173