Author Topic: Which Weather Software?  (Read 3027 times)

Offline bill-e

• Converse Meadow Pond, Rindge NH
Which Weather Software?
« on: January 20, 2011, 07:59:50 AM »
Hi Folks,

Yea, I've been around enough that I know this kind of question will not proviede a definitive answer but I'd like to consider other opinions before I make a final decision.

I've got a Davis VP2 and Weatherlink IP being delivered today (although I'm on a biz trip) and at least initially I'm going to see how I like just using WLIP  but I'm guessing I'm going to want my personal weather page back soon.

I do have VWS but I want to explore other options.

So if cost wasn't an issue, which weather software would you use.  I'm thinking my platform will be a Netbook as I have an N280 EeePC that I can relegate to this and upgrade to a new one for my travels so either Windows or Linux is an option.

I'm a rank amateur who is on the road for biz a lot and I like to see/know what's going on weather wise in my neck of the woods when I'm away.  I currently also run a weathercam via WU.  I also like Rapid Fire like active weather pages.

Thanks
  Bill

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Which Weather Software?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 09:19:03 AM »
Cumulus runs well on a netbook eeePC 4G Surf.  www.sandaysoft.com    It is DONATION ware - not free but I think it is pretty nice.  But I stayed with Weatherlink.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 09:40:39 AM »
Cumulus is awesome but if cost is no factor I like VWS for its display but when it comes to real time I like Weather Display's Weather Display Live. You could run Virtual Vantage Pro (VVPro) and run both or all 3 packages.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 09:40:46 AM by Garth Bock »

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 12:51:24 PM »
Big fan of weather Display and the 100's of scripts and add-ons that have been created.
Tony

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:49:18 PM »
Well Bill, three responses and three different answers. :-)
Fact is you need to DL a trial of all of them and go from there. They are each rock solid in there performance and all offer something  different then the other.
Really the answer to "Which Weather Software" is something only you can decide.
I know being on the road makes it difficult to really get into what each has to offer but since you already have VWS start with Cumulus, and work your way on to  Weather Display, Weatherview 32,and WUHU.
 Or you could just purchase Virtual VP and try them all at once.  :grin:
The best of all worlds.

Offline bill-e

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 05:35:57 AM »
As of right now I have my VWS setup on an old laptop and it seems to be working reliably.  I cant say that for my webcam.  This old laptop running WIn2k for some reason wont load Java so Ycam is out.  I may have to spring for a modern Netbook in order to gain reliability.

Offline Andy Thompson

• Southern Minnesota Live Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
    • Southern Minnesota Live Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 07:09:11 AM »
Yeah, I use a full sized Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop with Windows 7 on it. Work like a charm with VWS. Either tomorrow or Thursday, I have a Serial data logger and a Serial card coming the in the mail that I will install. I'm sorry I even purchased WeatherLink IP. Talk about unreliable. I highly recommend using Virtual Weather Station. 
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline bill-e

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 07:41:10 AM »
Andy,

My main motivation for Weatherlink-ip was that I didn't want to keep a PC running, surely not a desktop and not even a 100 watt laptop.  WLIP has been fine and reliable for my Weatherlink.com site but I just cant get used to 15 min updates to WU.  If WLIP ever mod's its firmware to 1 min updates to WLIP I'd be satisfied.

I'm on the road mon-friday every week so the only time I want to keep my PC running is on the weekend.  If I was happy with WLIP's update rate to WU I'd be satisfied with that for during the week and VWS on the weekend.

So my alternative is to get a low wattage Netbook, believe they are under 20w when running, and use that for VWS and the camera software.

I may still consider Meteohub w/sheeva plug.  I plan to reload linux on one of my machines and download the trial and see how I like it.

Having said all that I still think I prefer WLIP over the serial version because VWS can reliable connect to it and on those occasions where VWS or the machine crashes when I'm away, I still get the WLIP updates.

Bill

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 09:07:47 AM »
A netbook with SSHD will draw even less than 20.  Less than half actually.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 06:13:32 PM »
Bill,

I've been running Cumulus and WeatherLink via VirtualVP for the last 21 months with no real issues. I haven't even noticed an increase in my electricity bill with my Samsung NC10 running 24/7.

I don't currently use WL but I keep it running so that should I decide to use its web pages I can use all my data. Cumulus is an excellent package and Steve (the author) provides very good support. I recommend it highly.

anything