Author Topic: Gone  (Read 1704 times)

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
Gone
« on: May 29, 2019, 01:37:49 AM »
After more than 13 years serving the Phoenix area we are forced to shut down. Continuing electronic problems with the ISS unit results in no up to date data, e.g., high/low temps, rainfall, humidity, wind, etc., being sent to the station. Medical issues in my legs and arms prevent me from safely getting on the roof to make repairs. I won't put a station with incorrect data on-line. This has been a hobby since high school and I will miss it. My thanks to all who have helped me over the years. Sadly, TiggrWeather Phoenix is gone.
John
W7JKG

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Gone
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 03:36:49 AM »
Sorry to hear that John, hate to see TiggrWeather go.   
I do understand the issue with climbing ladders safely and having medical issues. I was beginning to get in the same boat myself and it's not safe at all.   

Thankfully for me, it wasn't permanent and something that could be fixed.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 05:20:06 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 07:01:12 AM »
John, 
  So sorry to hear this and see something that you and all of us love to do be put out of action. I pray you can be restored and maybe someone will offer to assist you...

Jim

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 08:40:55 AM »
All the best to you John and unfortunate that you have to shut it down.  I know you took great pride with what you had and what you provided, and efforts also helped others on the way.

Keep enjoying,Paul

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 08:50:18 AM »
I am sorry about your health. I wish you the best and a speedy recovery.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 09:55:25 AM »
Our friend... best to you... will miss you John... take care of YOU....

Many of us'older timers' are facing similar issues... myself included... there comes a point where we have to sigh, and retire to the sidelines and watch... I can imagine how you feel, as I am struggling with a decision along the same lines

Please keep an eye on your friends from time to time.. you have too much expoerience to not jump in once in awhile...

I personally will miss your posts, and you will never know how many folks you've helped over the years, without acknowlegement,.. myself included...

GodSpeed, John G. ..
Mike
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 10:49:50 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline azkiwi

• Senior Contributor
    • Maricopa, Sonoran Desert, Arizona
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 10:41:22 AM »
Sorry to see you gone John.  I used your station as a validity /reality check on mine very often.

Understand how medical thingies (and aging) affect your support of you station's physical placement.. Me too....

I'm lowering my anemometer height by 4ft -shortening the pole - so I can get to it on a step ladder as I'm no longer confident when I climb up a bigger one.

You know, maybe you could get some 'youngster' to bring it all down for you, and then place a 15-20 foot mast so you can get at it..

Best of luck

Ken

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 11:27:57 AM »
My sincere thanks to all for your kind replies. They are most appreciated.
John
W7JKG

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 12:09:50 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Hope you can enjoy your time without weather. Hope you feel better soon.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 12:13:29 PM »
I understand where you are coming from having been down that road this year myself.

Speedily recovery, stay strong and please keep offering advice from your experience.

Offline wxmanmhd

• FM Weather
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 12:19:42 PM »
Yes see where you are coming from. I lowered mine to 15 ft and put the mast on a swivel base so I can maintain the anemometer from the ground.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 02:35:48 PM »
I completely understand where you're coming from, John.  Due to current medical issues I've also restricted my ladder climbing so that when my batteries die on my roof I'll either have to follow your lead or get a handyman to do the aerial work.  I've placed a WeatherFlow Sky on a 10' pole with a heavy umbrella base on the edge of my patio while the Air is mounted in the shade, but since I live in a townhome, the commons are essentially off limits for permanent installations such as a pole on a swivel.  The WeatherFlow seems surprisingly accurate except for the rainfall tally which is only about 2/3 what my Davis reads.

I've always greatly enjoyed our interactions, John, and I hope that you'll still hang around these parts on a regular basis.

Wishing you all the best, buddy!
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 06:41:46 PM »
Hi John,

I'm sorry you have to retire the station and site, but I do understand your reasons why. I wish you the best and hope you will continue to frequent the forum, Sir.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 11:48:42 AM »
All,

The fellow (a Ham) who helped last year did respond. We're set for the evening of Wed 5 Jun for the ISS fix. Hopefully nothing else will be wrong and we'll be back online.

Thank you all for your kind posts here. Very much appreciated.
John
W7JKG

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 06:36:45 PM »
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 06:38:09 PM »
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/
Agreed!!!
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 09:49:07 PM »
+1  Keep on weathering John!  For the record, I'm still pretty spry but climbing onto a metal roof is startin to be a PITA.  I am moving my system down.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 10:16:38 AM »
+1  Keep on weathering John!  For the record, I'm still pretty spry but climbing onto a metal roof is startin to be a PITA.  I am moving my system down.

My roof is good ole' asphalt shingles with a gentle pitch that used to be accessible. Suspect bringing it down will soon be under consideration - but that would leave the ADS-B, ham, TV OTA, and Boltek stuff still up there!   :roll:

Thanks again to all for your support.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:18:43 AM by jgillett »
John
W7JKG

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 04:05:45 PM »
I learned way long back ago NOT to mount ANYTHING on the roof or anywhere else that requires a ladder to do more than remove/install a bolt or two.  Everything I have is on swing down posts or poles so I can deal with it on the ground.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 07:50:41 PM »
All,

The fellow (a Ham) who helped last year did respond. We're set for the evening of Wed 5 Jun for the ISS fix. Hopefully nothing else will be wrong and we'll be back online.

Thank you all for your kind posts here. Very much appreciated.

Wooohooo!

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline wesleyremmel

• My Glendale Arizona Weather Station
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 08:44:59 PM »
Hate to see another Phoenix weather station go offline.
Kim
www.myglendalewxs.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2019, 02:38:34 AM »
The fix on 5 June is complete but is not working. So, instead of keeping it dead and in spite of my dislike of bad data I decided to open the site up again. Now to try and find the culprit.

Thanks again for all the support.
John
W7JKG

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2019, 08:40:01 AM »
The fix on 5 June is complete but is not working. So, instead of keeping it dead and in spite of my dislike of bad data I decided to open the site up again. Now to try and find the culprit.

Thanks again for all the support.

YAY! For the site been back. I hope you find the culprit!

----

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2019, 10:59:49 AM »
Well, well - the system did reset some time overnight. Suspect it was not until the sun hit the panel this morning as my graphs are still showing the data flat lines during the dark time, but the console error message is now gone. Hopefully it will last.

Thanks again for all your support.
John
W7JKG