Author Topic: Questions before making the jump!  (Read 939 times)

Offline Hurricane305

Questions before making the jump!
« on: May 08, 2020, 05:59:34 PM »
Hi all. I've been researching a new weather station for almost a week now. Last time I had one was about 20 years ago when I was 11! It has been an itch for almost a year now.

The primary purpose is personal enjoyment. The second is to tie it in with my irrigation timer to reduce use. I am about 4 miles from Miami International which might as well be Mars with the weather in Florida. I almost bought the Ambient 2902B until I found this forum and discovered the Ecowitt GW1000. I really like the customization it provides including not having to purchase a screen. Being a millennial I will take advantage of using the app on my phone. The sonic anemometer intrigues me especially with the thunderstorms we have in the summer. The soil sensors and add-ons are already supported, with no firm release date on the Ambient side and the necessary WS-2000 which is a financial commitment I'm not ready to make yet.

My questions are:
-How much is shipping typically to the United States? The equipment on Ecowitt's website is less expensive, but I know shipping will likely bring it in line with Ambient's pricing.
-Is my perception of the sonic anemometer being a better option versus the traditional anemometer based in reality? Will a traditional anemometer read the highest gust within the 16 second update interval?
-Does Ecowitt require a connection to their servers? (Security concerns as they are based in China). All the information on their websites leads me to believe that is a no unless I'd like to use the Ecowitt.net platform.

Open to all comments and suggestions!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Questions before making the jump!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 06:42:26 PM »
My questions are:
-How much is shipping typically to the United States? The equipment on Ecowitt's website is less expensive, but I know shipping will likely bring it in line with Ambient's pricing.
Since you'll likely be creating a custom configuration of parts from Ecowitt, you'll have to ask them for a complete quote for what you want. They respond pretty quickly.

-Is my perception of the sonic anemometer being a better option versus the traditional anemometer based in reality? Will a traditional anemometer read the highest gust within the 16 second update interval?
Yes the traditional spinning anemometer will record the highest wind gust within that 16 second update interval. The anemometer basically samples every second and in that 16 second interval it keeps the highest reading as the gust and the average of the 16 samples as the reported wind for that 16 sec interval. In my opinion although the ultrasonic has some advantages it also has some disadvantages like it doesn't have as high of a max wind capability so you won't be able to clock that next hurricane as high. The ultrasonic also has a bad placement for the outdoor temperature/humidity sensor although that can be fixed by getting the WH32 sensor...but that adds even more cost to an already more expensive station. There are other differences which means that there are pros and cons of either type of anemometer.

Being that you are in the US also presents another problem for those wanting the ultrasonic.....you will not be able to buy it from Ecowitt as they will not ship that part to the US. Ambient has an exclusive on the ultrasonic for US sales. You can get an Ecowitt station and later when Ambient has the part available then add it separately. Be sure to get 915 MHz from Ecowitt so that Ambient sensors work.

You can add Ambient sensors to Ecowitt consoles....but you can't do the opposite. You cannot add Ecowitt sensors to Ambient consoles.

-Does Ecowitt require a connection to their servers? (Security concerns as they are based in China). All the information on their websites leads me to believe that is a no unless I'd like to use the Ecowitt.net platform.
The Ecowitt consoles have the ability to upload weather data to Ecowitt.net if you want. That is totally optional. I don't see the security concern. You create an account and the only thing you are using is your email address and a password for that service along with your location so that you show up on the map in the right place. I hardly see a reason for concern. But again...that is optional. You can also post your data to Ecowitt.net privately or publicly...your choice.

Open to all comments and suggestions!
I recommend you start with the GW1002 as a complete kit from what you are describing as your needs. Then later on you can add and switch to the ultrasonic when it becomes available from Ambient. At any point you can add a display from Ecowitt...or not...up to you. You can also get additional sensors; lightning, soil moisture, water leak, or their soon to be released soil moisture with temperature, or add extra room temperature/humidity sensors. If you ever want to expand and do more with your data you can consider interfacing the GW1000 with Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, or WeeWX. Keep in mind that the Meteobridge option if you get it from Ambient (which they call a WeatherBridge) will allow you to send data to AmbientWeather.net and take advantage of the unique features that Ecowitt.net doesn't have.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 06:56:41 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Hurricane305

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 07:58:19 PM »
Thank you for your very detailed response. I'm concerned the temperature sensor on the GW1002 will not have accurate readings in my small fenced-in backyard. I don't have a shaded area with free flowing air. I was counting on mounting it above everything because my house is at the end of the block that enjoys breezy conditions. What about the GW1001 that includes the shield?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 09:35:07 PM »
The GW1002 comes with the WH32 outdoor sensor. The WH32 sensor needs a good radiation shield. Ecowitt sells the RS-00001 radiation shield and it is marginally passable and for many it just isn't adequate. The next best recommendation is to put the WH32 into the Davis 7714 radiation shield. The next best and incredible solution is the Barani Meteoshield Pro and that commands some crazy money.

If you want even better then you can wait for Ecowitt to soon release the WH32-EP which has an SHT35 instead of the SHT30 sensor. Put that inside the Barani Meteoshield Pro and you are killing it (that means really good). About the only thing you can do to improve that is to put a fan in it and make it aspirated. So at which point do you draw the line? How big is your budget? (I don't need an answer to that...that is for you to answer to yourself).

The GW1001 is basically using the WH65 all-in-one outdoor sensor array. That is the biggest compromise of all, because you can't put it up high as your rain sensor will suffer and you can't put it down low for good temperature/humidity because then your wind data will not be as good. For the all-in-one WH65 the recommended mounting height is 13 to 15 feet. Some people put them up higher than that on their roofs and that is a compromise just on siting alone because you don't want to be too close to the roof as it will radiate and affect your temperature and humidity. The WH65 shield is probably a bit better than the WH32 with RS-00001 but is isn't better than the WH32 with Davis 7714 or better like the Barani. But that depends on where you are placing the WH65...because a WH65 up on the roof is probably going to be worse than the WH32 with RS-00001 in a shaded and ventilated area at the proper height.

Having separate components is always better and provides the least compromise but it does add complexity as then you have several items to place rather than just throwing up a poll for the WH65 all-in-one.

Notice I reverted to discussing the sensor models themselves rather than saying GW1001 or GW1002. This is because all the component parts are like Lego. You mix and match sensors with consoles and you have a totally different station. You can start off with a GW1001 and then add the HP2551-C display console and then it is like as if you have a HP2551 with an additional console that is the GW1000. There are numerous other combinations some that don't even have a corresponding complete model to describe it. Like GW1001 with WH40 rain sensor (yes that gives you two rain sensors but the WH40 takes precedence and the remaining WH65 sensors continue to work).  Also another model that doesn't really exist is GW1002 sensors (no GW1000) with the HP2551-C display console...and that is sometimes referred to as the HP2552 but it is't official and you cant order an HP2552 as it won't come in 1 box. But you can order the parts GW1002 sensor parts and the HP2551-C as a complete custom solution...but pricing and shipping will be higher because of all the separate boxes. I suspect that a GW1002 and then adding the HP2551-C may be more economical and you gain the GW1000 as a bonus (but I'm not positive on that...you'll have to ask). My point is to not consider these station models and set in stone but rather realize that you can customize and get the parts that you want....and later expand and make it different and bigger. Ask Ecowitt for a few combinations and see what they quote you.

GW1001
GW1002
GW1002 + HP2551-C
GW1001 + HP2551-C
HP2551

and then ask for maybe some extras that might be fun or interesting to have
Lightning
PM2.5
soil moisture
....etc.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:53:53 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Hurricane305

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 11:33:53 PM »
Thanks again. Breaking it up into the individual sensors really helps understand my options. I know more or less what I want to do now. I'll update this thread or create another when I have my sensors setup. Very excited!