Author Topic: Question about webcam.wunderground.com (FTP webcam images)  (Read 1031 times)

Offline n4khq

Question about webcam.wunderground.com (FTP webcam images)
« on: January 17, 2018, 09:32:12 AM »
I'm following the WU - Let us know your issues but but figured Sean and his team had enough issues to keep them busy for months to come. My webcam started dropping from my PWS several weeks back. The webcam would be inactive on the WU webcam sign up in page. I would edit the page, save and get a message to wait 12-48 hours for approval. The webcam would be back up the next day. Last week I lost the PWS page and the web cam continue to update a short period of time after the page said weather station not reporting. The next time I checked, the webcam was gone and not active on the WU sign up page. Yesterday Sean's team made my webcam active on the sign up page but my PWS says WebCam missing. I see many WebCams are appearing up to date/time on the WU webcam map.

I have a DLink  DCS-7010L camera with a small web interface that allows me to FTP directly to webcam.wunderground.com. I had the time set to 5 minutes and not send pictures at night. When the images started getting hours behind I started sending at night and it helped about the webcam going inactive on the sign up page. The image is only about 50k. My webcam allows me to test my FTP image upload. The test is currently getting an error about 3 out of 4 tries. I can't ping webcam.wunderground.com. Whois, Port Scan, Finger and other services report nothing. I assume this is by design to protect the site.

I was think the WU servers were overloaded to the point I could not get images up to the site often enough to keep my webcam active. Now that my webcam is staying active, I still can't get a single image to load and others are successful. Any thoughts??? Thanks

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
Re: Question about webcam.wunderground.com (FTP webcam images)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 09:40:52 AM »
This problem is routine:
ftp> Connected to webcam.wunderground.com.
open webcam.wunderground.com
421 50 users (the maximum) are already logged in, sorry

So if you're one of the fifty your upload gets thru.

Offline n4khq

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 09:47:38 AM »
Thanks for the info. Looks if WU requested webcam uploads to be limited to every 15 minutes it would help the situation. I guess the could only accept images every 15 minutes but that might take as long as the download.

Offline n4khq

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 09:50:59 AM »
I had seen the message before but thought it was 421,50 users. Thanks for the post, I now see the space and 412 must be the port.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 03:06:45 PM »
I now see the space and 412 must be the port.
412 is an FTP error code meaning 'service not available'.

anything