Author Topic: VWS Update?  (Read 6685 times)

Offline Jester

• Pony Up!
  • Senior Contributor
  • US NAVY Retired
    • Castleton Weather, Virginia Beach, VA.
VWS Update?
« on: February 13, 2017, 07:27:23 AM »
When will Ambient/VWS Internet edition update their software/templates to reflect changes to WU? If VWS is not going to support changes/updates, then Ambient should stop selling the software!  :evil:
MADIS D4557
CWOP DW4557
Wunderground KVAVIRGI57
CoCoRaHS VA-VBC-13
Davis VP2+ 6163
WiFi LoggerV2

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
Re: VWS Update?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 07:30:15 AM »
Question, why do you think VWS has any obligation to send data to WU? There are plenty of other places more reputable to send your data to...

With all the ups and downs WU has had, I find it curious has to why people even bother with them, just to get their site recognized on WU?

Jim

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 09:07:18 AM »
For me, it was a quid pro quo situation.  I was easily able to send them data.  I get the almanac, regional temps, and use their radar images.

But with their recent outage dragging on, I'll have to consider alternatives soon.  I'm not getting anything in return.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 06:20:30 AM »
I stopped sending my data to WU because of the situation. I finally got an email from them saying my station wasn't reporting. I was happy to tell them that I shut it down due to the situation and that I encourage others to do so until Ambient or WU fix the situation  :twisted:

Ambient should update their sofware since we paid for it and they continue to sell it even if it is not 100% working.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 08:29:33 AM »
Ambient, like many of US, has just become fed-up with WU...
Once again, WU doesn't GAD whether PWS folks send to them or not.  They'll just scrape data we send to other service, for example, our CWOP to Mesonet link up...
Quit fooling with 'em... they don't care. Neither should we spend any more energy, money, BW or forum time on them...
I personally would love to see Utah Edu, and other providers block 'em from scraping...
...and then ignore their inquiries etc. as we've been treated.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:32:30 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 09:23:06 AM »
Yeah, this is getting a bit old.  WU should have had some parts up and working.  I'd settle for just my almanac data working again.

I may have to consider switching to Cumulus.  Hopefully they don't rely on WU for anything.
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Jester

• Pony Up!
  • Senior Contributor
  • US NAVY Retired
    • Castleton Weather, Virginia Beach, VA.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »
Yeah, this is getting a bit old.  WU should have had some parts up and working.  I'd settle for just my almanac data working again.

I may have to consider switching to Cumulus.  Hopefully they don't rely on WU for anything.

I have been thinking about other options too. I'm looking at possibly weather display...Don't know yet. I have been manually updating my forecast and almanac data for the time being. Nice website BTW.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:13:18 AM by Jester »
MADIS D4557
CWOP DW4557
Wunderground KVAVIRGI57
CoCoRaHS VA-VBC-13
Davis VP2+ 6163
WiFi LoggerV2

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 10:28:13 AM »
Thanks.  I like the KISS idea as far as websites go.  But I think I'm going to try setting up a Saratoga script site with Cumulus next week.  See how it goes.  Fallback position to VWS.

I'm not a programmer and CSS and PHP is getting a bit out of my league.  So templates may be the way I'm going.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 11:57:49 AM »

Cumulus is certainly an easy way to try an excellent alternative, and does all the usual uploads.  Cumulus MX is quite easy (for most people) but there are some things in the original Cumulus 1 that are not yet in MX so Cumulus 1.9.4 build 1099 http://sandaysoft.com/downloads might be the easiest to begin with.  Once that is set up it is very easy to move to MX as the data is fully compatible.  The Cumulus standard template are very easy to start with but certainly not display all that the Saratoga, Leuven or Meteotemplate do.  However using those templates with Cumulus is again quite easy, and lots of support/help available.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 12:01:10 PM »
Are both MX and the original going to keep going side by side?  Or is the plan to eventually retire the original version?

I was planning on starting with MX and see what it'll do.  It'll probably come down to more of what Saratoga scripts will support with MX.  As long as I can do the "live" data with MX, I'll probably still go that route.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 12:17:40 PM »

The original Cumulus 1 is no longer being updated so MX is the new way.  The data though is interchangeable.  I only mentioned Cumulus 1 as there is a recent poster who has had some issues with MX but I think that is likely due to outdated version of the template he was using.  Not aware of any other issues in using Saratoga with Cumulus MX.  And MX allows for non-Windows use for those so inclined.

I install and temporarily run each update of MX to make sure I have it correct but still regularly use Cumulus 1 as Weather Diary which is used for snow index records is not yet added in MX.

Enjoy
Paul

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »
Thanks.  That's what I need to know for now.  Not sure when/if I'll put the Saratoga script page up into actual production.  But might as well start testing now in case VWS is going to die.  Keep my options open.  I'm taking some time off work next week anyway with not much planned.  And the wife is out of the country that week.  To much snow to go ride motorcycle.  Might as well see how far I can get.

http://beta.bismarckweather.net/

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 01:18:49 PM »
weather display does have WU Alamanac data available and 5 day forecast data too , for selected station (there is a simple city search function)
(WD uses the WU API)

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 01:38:01 PM »
Well I just got my "eviction" notice from WU saying I haven't reported in for 48 hours....

Question for all of you PHP/JS/etc. programmers, what is WU looking for and is there a way other than VWS that WE could push the data to WU?

Since the AJAX scripts are already written to grab our data locally, all we would need to do is push up to WU in whatever new format they want/need....

Jim

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 04:18:47 PM »
VWS can still update WU

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 04:38:02 PM »
Weird.  Both my VWS instance and my Bloomsky are not showing on Weather Underground.  But if I click on another station, change to my station ID's, they are reporting.  And those report in two totally different manners.

So WU failure continues and spreads...

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 08:57:20 PM »
Well I just got my "eviction" notice from WU saying I haven't reported in for 48 hours....

Question for all of you PHP/JS/etc. programmers, what is WU looking for and is there a way other than VWS that WE could push the data to WU?

Since the AJAX scripts are already written to grab our data locally, all we would need to do is push up to WU in whatever new format they want/need....

Jim

Jim,

I gave up on having VWS send data to WU years ago. I've been using VPLive to send my data to WU. I'm able to run VVP with VWS, Cumulus, and VPLive under it. VPLive is very reliable. If you can run VVP with your console, I'd recommend you take a look at VPLive.

Steve

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 09:01:32 PM »
The only issue right now is VWS data not being seen by WU.. I use VWS to archive all my 10 years of WX history and uses that data for some of my online data points. Looks  like you have to run VPLive in lieu of VWS..

Jim

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 10:10:32 PM »
Jim,

I've used VWS for all my data collection and website reporting for nearly 13 years now. VWS has always had issues communication issues. I gave on it's FTP function years ago and started using Fling. When its WU updates became undependable, I moved that function to VPLive.

Steve

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 07:40:05 AM »
Thanks Steve. I guess my question is can I run both VWS and VPline to export data out to WU?

Jim

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 08:44:36 AM »
Jim,

If you have an older VP2 console (pre-green dot), you should be able to run VWS under VirtualVP along with VPLive with no problem.

Steve

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 02:21:04 PM »
I'm about done with VWS. I going ahead and making plans to change all of my code to WD. Right now I'm about half and half VWS/WD, but with all of the VWS issues going on, I just can't count on it. Right now I have the normal highs/lows not working but otherwise my data is showing up on WU

Offline PSJohn

• Senior Contributor
    • DesertWeather.com
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 12:48:29 AM »
weather display does have WU Alamanac data available and 5 day forecast data too , for selected station (there is a simple city search function)
(WD uses the WU API)
Where do you find this in WD?
John Slama
Palm Springs, California
Davis Vantage Pro 2, FARS

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 04:32:58 AM »
view, wunderground alamanac  ;)

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 06:07:28 AM »
Right now I have the normal highs/lows not working but otherwise my data is showing up on WU

Did you get that fixed? Ken conjured up a spell using the WU API that I use for that.  :grin:
Tony

anything