Miscellaneous Debris > Tech Corner

USAF AN/FPS-77 Storm Detection Radar

<< < (2/6) > >>

wxtech:

--- Quote from: Chris H. on September 27, 2009, 02:02:13 AM ---Saved all three to network drive..took five minutes. I guess that's a little fast, IDK. Wow. Not Doppler (meaning it doesn't pulse?) and not digital, which means it be old skool. And I have a question (I'll probably scan through the PDF's for the answer later), how does it detect storms if it uses a Polaroid cam and not digital or Doppler? Confusing..

--- End quote ---
All radars send pulses.  FPS-77 wasn't Doppler meaning that it couldn't detect the shift in frequency of the returned echo.  A moving target causes a shift in frequency indicating the direction and speed of the target movement.
All echos were displayed on CRTs.  A PPI scan to show distance and azimuth bearing.  An RHI scope to indicate height of storm tops, hail shafts etc.  An A/R scope to measure the echo intensity & more accurately measure distance.  The antenna could be made to sweep in azimuth or elevation, or the antenna could by pointed to a cell for height or distance analysis.
There was no means to electronically record the echos.  We recorded the CRT image using a Polaroid camera.
The PPI scope used a long persistent phosphor that indicated the echos in black, not light green.  The PPI echos would remain on the CRT up to 1 hour.  The scope was back lighted so we could see the black storm images on the scope.  The images were erased with a heating filament inside the CRT.   

W Thomas:
This sounds very interesting!

Will definitely download!  I still deal with tubes often.   For a little longer anyway,

wxtech:

--- Quote from: W Thomas on September 27, 2009, 12:03:15 PM ---This sounds very interesting!

Will definitely download!  I still deal with tubes often.   For a little longer anyway,

--- End quote ---
Vacuum tubes are a lost art.  In the 80s I worked for research physicists.  They didn't know that thyratrons can heal themselves. 
I worked with a young electronics engineer who was a musician also.  He wanted to build audio amps with tubes but didn't understand them.

W Thomas:

--- Quote from: wxtech on September 27, 2009, 01:48:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: W Thomas on September 27, 2009, 12:03:15 PM ---This sounds very interesting!

--- End quote ---
Vacuum tubes are a lost art.  In the 80s I worked for research physicists.  They didn't know that thyratrons can heal themselves. 
I worked with a young electronics engineer who was a musician also.  He wanted to build audio amps with tubes but didn't understand them.

--- End quote ---

I agree!! Some of the best sounding music I have ever heard was through tube amps and " old school" audio technology!
Really hate to see that sort of thing passed up but like you said it IS happening!

Chris H.:

--- Quote from: W Thomas on September 27, 2009, 03:52:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: wxtech on September 27, 2009, 01:48:39 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I agree!! Some of the best sounding music I have ever heard was through tube amps and " old school" audio technology!
Really hate to see that sort of thing passed up but like you said it IS happening!

--- End quote ---

MOst of my favorite music was done on tubes. Looks like if I become a musician, won't have that nice sound of tubes. Today's digital stuff just kills, and I don't like the Cher effect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version