Author Topic: wmr968 anomemeter not working  (Read 6084 times)

Offline Julianjym

wmr968 anomemeter not working
« on: December 10, 2008, 05:22:08 PM »
My anomemeter hasn't been working lately (no LED blinking)and I just took it down and replaced the batteries and the LED lit up again but it is not being received at the base station or VMR on the PC...Is there a solution or troubleshooting method I should employ???? Is there a reset??? I get no green bars for the wind sensor at the sensor communication screen but everything else gets green...Many Thanks in advance for all your help,  Jym

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
Re: wmr968 anomemeter not working
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:04:34 PM »
Is your LED lighting up once every 45 seconds or so?  <<<if yes then the transmitter is most likely good.  If not, open the transmitter and perform a reset on it with the switch there and Re-scan the channels at the console.  If still no LED is Lighting periodically then you will have to most likely purchase a new sensor or transmitter.

^^If the LED is Lighting periodically then perform a reset (by the switch in the battery compartment) and a Re-scan of your channels on the OS-WMR968 Console?  If that does not find it, then again you may have a sensor/transmitter issue or console issue.  Also try moving the console around the room a little, sometimes the radio reception can be spotty in certain places.  Also another question you might wish to ask yourself,  Is there any new "radio producing devices" such as cordless phone, baby monitor, or wi-fi router introduced into your area lately?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:11:48 PM by sam2004gp »
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 07:53:57 PM »
If you have a flashing light on the sensor.... Press and hold the channel button on your console...
Andrew

My anomemeter hasn't been working lately (no LED blinking)and I just took it down and replaced the batteries and the LED lit up again but it is not being received at the base station or VMR on the PC...Is there a solution or troubleshooting method I should employ???? Is there a reset??? I get no green bars for the wind sensor at the sensor communication screen but everything else gets green...Many Thanks in advance for all your help,  Jym

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 08:57:01 PM »
When I had trouble with my thgr968, the OS tech support rep suggested that I take all the batteries (even the recharable ones) out of the transmitter for 24 hours to let the transmitter do a "hard reboot".  I don't know if this would help your transmitter or not.

That's my $0.02 worth.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Julianjym

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 11:11:48 AM »
Thanks so much for the help...it seems to be working after the channel reset...

Offline Julianjym

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 05:19:20 PM »
Update:  the wind direction is being reported but not the wind speed...will a reset at the sensor cure this??? Thanks again...

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 07:30:08 PM »
nope. if its communicating, its communicating.
your cups might have slipped a bit.  take a small philips unsrew, remove, lube / clean / whatever while you are in there, then put it back on.

I had this happen at the year 1 mark, and year 3 mark (just recently)

Andrew

Update:  the wind direction is being reported but not the wind speed...will a reset at the sensor cure this??? Thanks again...

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Carson Weather

• Contributor
    • http://www.carsonweather.com
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 11:49:30 PM »

I've had that happen to me. The LED lights, wind direction transmits but speed doesn't.
Put a toothpick behind your ear, get the ladder out, climb the roof, loosen the 8 screws , reset with the toothpick and then have someone on the ground press and hold channel.  If that doesn't work, repeat and give the person on the ground  a toothpick so they can reset the console right after you reset the transmitter.

If there is snow on the roof, throw a rope over the roof to the other side and have someone belay while you slip your way up.
It's been a once every month or two exercise for me the past six years.

It looks like the VP2 I got this summer is going to let me retire from this exercise....

Offline Julianjym

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 10:51:20 AM »
Thanks again guys...I hate it when my cups slip!!!!!! It's snowing and 32 outside now but I'll take it down later and see what happens...thanks again for all the help....Jim

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 05:53:25 PM »
, lube / clean / whatever while you are in there,

I

While surfing the net today I looked (VERY briefly) at another web page with the exact same wording.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline Julianjym

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 07:05:44 PM »
In between storms I took down the anomemeter, cleaned it, lubed it, reset it, etc. re-set console with channel hold...I'm getting direction and speed now but the speed is stuck on one setting...

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCAJULIA3

Thanks for all your patience with me...Jim

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 08:03:55 AM »
You may need to reset ther sensor it' self. There is a reset button located inside the solar xmitter.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 08:16:24 AM »
I can't answer your questions.  However, I can maybe redirect you.  There is a forum in the FreeWX software website.  They deal ONLY with Oregon Scientific WMR weather stations and partrs.  I remember reading some posts there where they replace reed switches and magnets (I've never had to do that with mine, so I can't advise you on that).  But Andy (the guy that wrote the software and administers the board) is pretty sharp.  And there are some great recommendations there.  You can google FreeWX or click here:  http://www.austorm.com/phpBB2/index.php

Sorry if I got out of bounds posting another board, but us OS WMR968 owners need all the help we can get!   ](*,)

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything