Author Topic: Intermitent loss of outdoor temperature and humidity  (Read 979 times)

Offline Omnomnom

Intermitent loss of outdoor temperature and humidity
« on: June 02, 2019, 10:28:52 PM »
I have a ws-1001-wifi, that I've had installed for just over two years. About a week ago, I lost connection from the outdoor array to the console, so I assumed it was time to change out the batteries for the first time. I did so, and after a bit of trouble getting it to re-sync to the console it seemed to work OK again. But now I've been loosing the outdoor temperature and humidity reading. The temp will read -40.0F, and the humidity --. It has done this several times over the last several days, sometimes for a day or two at a time. When the temp goes out, the wind, rain, UV and solar sensors all continue to report correctly.
Any idea why this is happening? Is my outdoor unit failing?

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
Re: Intermitent loss of outdoor temperature and humidity
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 06:26:59 AM »
Its more likely that your console is suffering from some form of radio interference.
Have you added any equipment in your house or near to the console that may emit RF signals.
It is quite easy to disrupt the consoles ability to hear the data signals from its sensors.

Its also possible that a neighbor may have installed something that maybe interfering. I am afraid that you will need to do some sleuthing to see if you can find the cause.

If you are technically minded you can purchase a SDR dongle and with appropriate software take a look at the frequency range in use and see if there is any 'noise' being generated in your locale.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline Omnomnom

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 12:34:36 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the info. No new equipment in the house. Obviously I can't speak for the neighbors, but someone new did just move in next door. Maybe they have something that is causing interference?
I'm curious how this interference would work, because as I mentioned I'm only loosing the outdoor temperature and humidity, and all of the other sensors (wind, rain, UV, etc.) still report current data properly. Wouldn't RF interference cause ALL communication to be lost?
Thanks!

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 03:01:42 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the info. No new equipment in the house. Obviously I can't speak for the neighbors, but someone new did just move in next door. Maybe they have something that is causing interference?
I'm curious how this interference would work, because as I mentioned I'm only loosing the outdoor temperature and humidity, and all of the other sensors (wind, rain, UV, etc.) still report current data properly. Wouldn't RF interference cause ALL communication to be lost?
Thanks!

It does seem fishy that only a few bytes of 'temp/hum' data are getting lost from a much larger, presumably error-checked/corrected, data packet(s) transmitted from your outdoor sensors to the receiving console unit. If the PWS has more than one radio channel available, try switching to the other channels.

Not sure if all the outside unit data is sent in one packet, or if some sensors each send packets. Most PWS's have only one 'sensor unit-to-console/IPaccess unit' radio comms path, unless multiple sensors and channels are an option.
Perhaps you should check the basics, like various wiring and connections, try some new batteries, a couple of resets, etc.
Try moving the units too, first take the console closer to the outside unit [within a few yards if possible], then try different locations in and around your house.
Or maybe your console's firmware just got corrupted. Any way to try out another console?

Radio can be flaky sometimes [we used to use the term 'FM' for both radio and computer magical mysteries/glitches, it didn't stand for 'Frequency Modulation'...].

Offline krojan

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »
What is your version of the WH24 external sensor.
With SHT30 sensor or with a thermistor.
When was the last time you visited the sensor?
Sensors in your station may look like this:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=32189.msg378253#msg378253
read also this:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=32189.0
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:20:17 PM by krojan »
Sorry for my English.
GW1000, HP2551-C, HP3001, HP1001.

Offline Omnomnom

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 10:22:27 PM »
The external sensor has "Model no.: WH24B" printed on the outside. I haven't looked at the sensor, so I don't know what type it is. I'll take a look, and read the links you posted.
Thanks for the information.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 12:00:47 PM »
For reference the WS and its various sensor may be all using a standard frequency but it uses digital channels within that band.
So for instance you can multiple sensors on the same frequency and they are all received by the display console and decoded.

Its possible for instance that a neighbour has installed say smart switches or something similar which might be interfering with that one data stream.
If you have a GW-1000 via the WS-View app you can see the signal quality from your sensor array. (Only $35 I believe for you US folks)
I assume you don't have a WS-2000 as that also now shows the signal quality on the display for the various sensors.
If the signal quality is showing a loss of signal then I would guess the sensor unit has failed.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

anything