Author Topic: Where is the Hottest place on Earth ? Furnace Creek versus Dallol, Ethiopia  (Read 887 times)

Offline heatseeker

I'm interested to know the Hottest place on Earth, I've heard many different answers.

Two things I'm searching for :

Hottest place (Average Daily High temperature) over 12 months and

Hottest place (Average Daily High temperature) during its Hottest month.

I find that scanning worldwide data that there is a lot of inconsistency.

Part of the issue seems to stem from many countries using different types of AWS equipment, some data seems unreliable.  I trust weather data from U.S., Canada, Australia and most of Europe, but what about Africa ?

My research has led me to believe that the Hottest spot in the Southern hemisphere is Marble Bar in Australia.

For the Northern hemisphere, there are many candidates including Furnace Creek in Death Valley, Yuma, AZ, Basra, Iraq, Kuwait, maybe Dubai.

How about Dallol, Ethiopia ?   Is Dallol the Hottest year round ?

Mecca in Saudi Arabia, Khartoum in Sudan and Abeche in Chad are all also Very Hot year round.

But who takes the cake ?

I see some weather data for Dallol, Ethiopia on wikipedia but the data is from the 1960s, apparently taken from a mining company there so I'm not sure of its reliability.

How reliable is weather data from Dallol ?   I see hourly temperature updates for Dallol on various Apps like weather.com and Accuweather, the Weather Network here in Canada, but considering Dallol is a ghost town, how reliable is their data ?

Is there an AWS in Dallol or are they just using another city's data ?   There are several villages in the region.

I just don't know how reliable weather data is from Ethiopia.

There are AWSes in remote regions of Greenland and Antarctica so I assume the WMO could have an AWS in Dallol.   Solar arrays will enjoy plentiful sunshine.

Fascinating geography in the area, Dallol is located in the Danakil Depression, lower than Death Valley and boasts the world's only volcano Below sea level !

Dallol being 430 feet below sea level also contributes to Heat.

There could be spots in the Sahara desert hotter than Furnace Creek.

This is a Hot topic.   Any opinions welcome.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
You probably can't trust the good old Australian Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) either especially when it comes to artificially cooling historical temperatures that don't agree with the current requirement to manufacturer an increasing heating trend.

Once the BOM started fiddling things with ACORN and ACORN2, the Marble Bar 1923/24 world record was adulterated from 160 days to just 128 days which now supposedly gives the world record to Death Valley with 154 consecutive days of over 100F or above.