Author Topic: ws-1001 won't connect to WiFi  (Read 5908 times)

Offline bellyflop

ws-1001 won't connect to WiFi
« on: December 20, 2016, 08:40:11 PM »
My WS-1001 sees the WiFi router but when I put in the password in it shows "connecting" then just shows "not connected" and that's it. Worked on firmware 2.25 fine then stopped. No update had been done. I tried to connect again and that's when I ran into the problem. Went ahead and updated the firmware to 2.35 but the problem continues. I also noticed that the WiFi icon for the outside sensors doesn't show anymore yet it works fine. Very frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: I did try a hard reset through the pin hole. Same results.

Paul
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 10:24:01 PM by bellyflop »

Offline JGoldy

• Amateur Weather Enthusiast
    • Jeff's Backyard Weather
Re: ws-1001 won't connect to WiFi
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 01:34:30 PM »
If you haven't tried already, it might be worth giving your router a restart.  Worked for me the one time this happened.

-Jeff
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-1001-WiFi (Wireless)
http://www.jeffsbackyardweather.com

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 04:48:01 PM »
Do you have the Wifi MAC filter on in your router and if so is your ws-1001's MAC address entered in the router's list to accept?

Offline bellyflop

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 08:30:23 PM »
Do you have the Wifi MAC filter on in your router and if so is your ws-1001's MAC address entered in the router's list to accept?

No MAC filter. Several already connected. No limit set. So that should all be in order. Any way to find out my ws-1001's MAC address? I can manually put it on the list to make sure it's allowed.

Offline bellyflop

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 08:31:09 PM »
If you haven't tried already, it might be worth giving your router a restart.  Worked for me the one time this happened.

-Jeff

Good suggestion and gave it a shot to no avail. #-o

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 09:00:16 PM »

No MAC filter. Several already connected. No limit set. So that should all be in order. Any way to find out my ws-1001's MAC address? I can manually put it on the list to make sure it's allowed.

If you have the "About" page in the console the MAC address should be at the bottom.?.?. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline bellyflop

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 07:32:47 PM »

If you have the "About" page in the console the MAC address should be at the bottom.?.?. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Nope. NO mac address shown. Maybe it's a hardware failure then.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 07:52:51 PM »
Can you watch the Wifi connections/clients screen on your router and toggle the WS-1001 to see if any attempts are being made? If you can see it trying then you may be able to get the MAC from there (router screen). That would at least let you know the Wifi hardware may be ok and point to other settings somewhere.

Offline bellyflop

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 08:27:39 PM »
Can you watch the Wifi connections/clients screen on your router and toggle the WS-1001 to see if any attempts are being made? If you can see it trying then you may be able to get the MAC from there (router screen). That would at least let you know the Wifi hardware may be ok and point to other settings somewhere.

I'll see about that. Just got the official response. It is that I need to replace my console under warranty. Old console so no warranty. :-(

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 07:16:32 AM »
Sorry to hear about your console misfortune. This happened to me on my former panel when I updated to 2.2.9. It would no longer connect to wifi. Eventually the mac address disappeared as well and it acted as though it were a non-wifi unit. It was older than one year so I had to buy a new console. The good news is that the old console still gets the weather data from the sensors so now I have two panels. But I've yet to decide where to put it in the house. One caveat is that the clock can no longer set with internet time and is way off. It would be better not even to show the time.

Given my experience I'm holding off on updating to 2.3.5 until I get more feedback from others.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 01:15:28 PM »
did you try deleting the file on the console that stores all the wifi addresses?

Offline bellyflop

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 11:46:06 PM »
Sorry to hear about your console misfortune. This happened to me on my former panel when I updated to 2.2.9. It would no longer connect to wifi. Eventually the mac address disappeared as well and it acted as though it were a non-wifi unit. It was older than one year so I had to buy a new console. The good news is that the old console still gets the weather data from the sensors so now I have two panels. But I've yet to decide where to put it in the house. One caveat is that the clock can no longer set with internet time and is way off. It would be better not even to show the time.

Given my experience I'm holding off on updating to 2.3.5 until I get more feedback from others.

Yep. Mine looks like the WiFi is done so upgrade time. New console is $177 so I decided to just give myself a Christmas gift and upgrade to a WS-1400.

Offline bellyflop

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 11:46:41 PM »
did you try deleting the file on the console that stores all the wifi addresses?

Tried. No difference.

Offline bellyflop

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 11:57:09 PM »
Thank You!!! I just wanted to thank all of you taking the time to think about and post on my problem. :grin: It is really appreciated!

Decided to go ahead and replace my whole WX station with a new one. My sensor suite took a real nasty fall during a bad storm. So even though it's working it is in bad shape. Once the console went it was just too good of an excuse. ;) Plus some cash help from someone who enjoys weather like me. Gonna get a WS-1400-IP. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Paul

Offline nolpatrick

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 05:04:12 PM »
Don't want to beat a dead horse, but did anyone discover a solution to this that didn't entail buying a new station?  I only just bought this one (WS-1001, firmware 2.3.1) a few months ago and am not too keen on replacing it already.  I have two different routers it can connect with but it refuses to accept the password for either one.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
the problem could be in some of the keyboard characters you have in use in the router password
try setting to use just plain alphabet or numbers and no special characters

Offline nolpatrick

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 06:45:56 PM »
Nope, no special characters-- only numbers and letters.

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 07:31:40 PM »
I had this same experience after having upgraded my first panel to 2.2.9. The symptoms were the same. It would see the router in the list but if I entered the password it would not accept it. If I created a guest network with no password it would see it but not connect to it.

I tried different firmware a couple of dozen times at least. Factor resets. All sorts of things. Finally I put a sniffer on the IP address and found it wasn't actually sending the password to the router. In essence it could receive but not send.

At some point along the way it stopped reporting the MAC address as though there were no network capabilities similar to a picture above in the thread.

I am convinced that Window CE becomes corrupted and there is no way to fix it but to give it to someone who has the ability to update the operating system.

My sensor was shot so I ended up buying a whole new WS-1001. The new one has not given me a problem ever, but I resist changing firmware from this point out. I will only if it is absolutely necessary.

Offline nolpatrick

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 07:36:45 PM »
Yeesh!   Well, I sent an email to their support and if that doesn't turn up anything, then I'll start phone harassment. 

It's real frustrating as our station is the only one in this area and at this elevation we have very particular weather.  Winter-time it's a MUST have to keep up on plowing and such.

Offline nolpatrick

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 09:02:08 PM »
Well, in the meantime, the station lost its signal from the outdoor sensor altogether, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in again (the third time already today).  And quickly it rebooted....showed the temperature readings....and reconnected to the wifi.  ?!?!

Go figure.  (Glad I've got additional warranty protection on this $300 item.)

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 09:09:12 PM »
emailing support made it work  #-o ;)