Author Topic: Ground Anchor for guy wires to earth.  (Read 6851 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Ground Anchor for guy wires to earth.
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »
Nice job  =D>

My only concern would be the use of the hose-clamp. Over time you may find that the hose-clamp loosens or stretches with constant tension on it. You might want to think about using a U-bolt in place of the hose-clam. That would eliminate the chance of the clamp coming loose. Otherwise, you've done a great job!

I tend to agree as it will stretch.   Suggestion.   on your mast. put a second pipe clamp as you have holding the splice.  That should give more stability.

I would then put a third clamp on the mast and connect the guywires  to that.  It won't go anywhere . (I am still opting for a home in the outback if they elect trump.)

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2016, 05:02:09 PM »
Hello,
I'm not an expert with guy wires but as someone mentioned safety.  Looking at the one photo it looks like the guy wires going into the ground may be in a walk-way.  If you are thinking of moving the clamp to adjust it, maybe better to have the wires parallel to the fence where no one will tripped over them.

Just a thought based I what I see but otherwise good job.    You don't wanna cause a hazard for accurate rain :D

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2016, 05:22:03 PM »
Nice job  =D>

My only concern would be the use of the hose-clamp. Over time you may find that the hose-clamp loosens or stretches with constant tension on it. You might want to think about using a U-bolt in place of the hose-clam. That would eliminate the chance of the clamp coming loose. Otherwise, you've done a great job!

The DX Engineering guy ring is prevented from sliding down by the worm clamp. I see no problem with that approach, but I agree that in this installation, the worm clamp will be under a lot of stress. The forces in the DXE ring are all on the ring, not on the worm clamp. I think that the worm clamp in might crack under repeated stresses here.

I think that a modified floor flange will substitute for the DXE guy ring, if it can be modified and the inside diameter can be made to fit the mast snugly.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline weatherviewer

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 08:01:56 PM »
Thanks all for the feedback.

Point taken regarding the worm clamp, it could loosen overtime but I really doubt it will crack. Other than the tightening of the guy wires and the dee-shackles to the clamp, I would like to add there is really minimal additional stress to the worm clamp, the mast it self was pretty sturdy before the tie down. Regardless the setup was inexpensive and I will probably consider the Guy Ring option in the near future.

For the time being I will test this setup, I will let you know how it goes.
In regards to the concern of the exposed wires as a triping hazard, rest assured there is plenty of room behind it. I have the yard to myself for now, the wife doesn't mind and for now there are no plans for children just yet. The wires are intentionally in that direction, it provides better encouragement of the rain buckets to tip. I initially had the problem of them not tipping at times due yo levelling issues.

@Aardvark you are more than welcome in Aus mate, plenty of room for a sweet Davis setup!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:35:59 PM by weatherviewer »

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2016, 08:22:14 PM »
Somehow I missed the height until I saw it in relation to the fence.  In the US, the suggested height is a little over 30' (10M or so) to get an 'accurate' wind reading.  At that height, you would need guying properly anchored.

Where you are, you could have 'anchored' them by wrapping them around a stone or cement block.  There should be three, at least.  The two are effectively pulling it in one direction, away from the fence.  If that's your fence, add one more going back to it.

At such a short height, I don't see sufficient wind load to affect the hose clamp, but I would not have done it that way.  I'd have gone to the U bolt as discussed earlier.  That cable also looks oversized for the task, which I guess is better than undersized.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2016, 08:29:33 PM »
In my view, these should be your anchor points.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline weatherviewer

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2016, 09:26:09 PM »
Somehow I missed the height until I saw it in relation to the fence.  In the US, the suggested height is a little over 30' (10M or so) to get an 'accurate' wind reading.  At that height, you would need guying properly anchored.

Where you are, you could have 'anchored' them by wrapping them around a stone or cement block.  There should be three, at least.  The two are effectively pulling it in one direction, away from the fence.  If that's your fence, add one more going back to it.

At such a short height, I don't see sufficient wind load to affect the hose clamp, but I would not have done it that way.  I'd have gone to the U bolt as discussed earlier.  That cable also looks oversized for the task, which I guess is better than undersized.

The perils of having an all in one sensor weathet station, I've had very accurate temperature readings at this height for the last 10 months, I suppose I had to sacrifice the wind readings.

Yes I probably should have shortened the wires a little more, the wires were originally 5M each lol, I shortened them down to 2.5M each to give me a bit of choice as I wasnt exactly decided on how far out I was going to anchor.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 01:25:23 AM by weatherviewer »

anything