Author Topic: wmr968 I think I lost the anemometer, again  (Read 1635 times)

Offline beakmyn

wmr968 I think I lost the anemometer, again
« on: September 07, 2015, 09:51:42 AM »
I have a WMR968 system and it's been working rather well until a couple weeks ago. We had a bad storm and there were at least 2 nearby (within few housel) lightning strikes. Are there any diagnostic pads on the circuit board that may tell me if it's working?

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
Re: wmr968 I think I lost the anemometer, again
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 02:43:44 PM »
That depends on what your skills are. If you know electronics and have an o'scope you can find the data line to the transmitter and see if it is wigglin' every 14 seconds.

Otherwise if you know any ham radio folks, one of them may have a receiver that could be tuned to 433.92MHz to listen for the sensor.

Beyond that, I think you're stuck...(unless someone else has a good idea because I never seem to have them all).

Offline beakmyn

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 02:56:17 PM »
I don't have a scope but I do a logic analyzer and a SDR (which should work) I'll take it apart this weekend and see what I can find. I'll go back through my library I may have some schematics. I was hoping for a shortcut.

I have a feeling that I'll be parting it out on the forum. The cups seems to be popular and I have 2 sets of them.

BTW, I am a ham

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 10:16:02 PM »
Usually with OS units, the transmitter is on a separate daughter board with typically 4 connections: ground, power, enable and data. The data line is going to run around a kHz or so. Of course if you see stuff on the data line there's no guarantee that the transmitter is actually working but it would be encouraging...

Since you're a ham...you can make a coil from a few turns of magnet or hookup wire and connect to an RF or microwave signal diode and R-C detector (time constant of maybe 100us or so) -- then connect that to the sound card input on your PC. If you place the coil right next to the anemometer tx antenna you'll hear something on the sound card if the tx is working. It does need to be like really CLOSE to the tx antenna though. I've hooked the coil up to a cable TV amplifier and then put the diode detector on the amplifier output and that has worked well.