Author Topic: WS-2902A Firmware Upgrades for Display Console + New Firmware Discussion  (Read 3260 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
How to Check and Upgrade Firmware on the WS-2902A Display Console

The WS-2902A display console connects to the Internet via WiFi and is responsible for uploading to the various online weather website services. The important thing to know about the WS-2902A display console is that updates are not done automatically. You will not get notified when a new firmware is available. Therefore it is important from time to time to check to see if a new firmware is available and then you can easily perform the upgrade.

Release notes for WS-2902A New and Older Firmware:
https://ambientweather.net/help/firmware-changes-ws-2902a/
* No way to downgrade currently. (as of Jan 25, 2019)

Steps to check for and upgrade firmware:
  • Your mobile device (phone/tablet) must be connected to the same WiFi network as your display console
  • Open awnet app on your mobile device
  • Select your device from the Device List in the app
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
  • Notice your current version number is displayed at the bottom right starting with AMBWeather
  • If there is a firmware update available you will see the, Update Firmware to x.x.x button
  • Press the Update Firmware to x.x.x button to perform the update
  • Once the update is complete the Update Firmware button disappears, you will only see it when the next update is available
  • Confirm that your console got updated by looking at the currently displayed version number. If you report to Weather Underground you can also go to your WU Dashboard and click on the About this PWS link and it will show the software and version number of your console.

If you have multiple display consoles they will be listed in the display list separately. You must upgrade them individually. If you have multiple display consoles you should only configure one to be the one that uploads to the Internet weather services. The additional display consoles could still benefit from being connected to WiFi to keep time synchronized on the screen (just turn off the reporting to weather websites.)

If you have an older WS-2902 (non A version) you can use the awnet app instead of the old Osprey app and it will convert a WS-2902 into a WS-2902A. Download the newest manual for the WS-2902A to see the improvements. Mostly it is the addition of the MiFi function to make it easier to join a network. Going forward as newer firmware is released they will provide fixes and new features.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:58:33 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WS-2902A Firmware Upgrades for Display Console
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 05:40:36 PM »
WS-2902A Firmware 4.0.3 Released

There is a new firmware available for the WS-2902A display console. Follow the steps in the previous post to check for and upgrade the firmware.

This new firmware 4.0.3 fixes the following:
https://ambientweather.net/help/what-are-the-changes-made-to-firmware-version-4-0-3/
  • Previous to Firmware Version 4.0.3, DNS queries were performed every 5 seconds, which was excessive.
    With Version 4.0.3, DNS queries are now performed once every 15 minutes.

That should cut down on excessive Internet traffic. It could also theoretically upload more instantaneously as it will use cached DNS IP addresses for web services' servers, rather than require a constant DNS query every 5 seconds.

This update could also mean that if an online service changes IP addresses it could take up to 15 minutes for your console to get the new IP address to then again resume uploading weather data. But I don't think this is the type of thing that happens often. You can always power cycle your console to force a fresh DNS query if you suspect a cached DNS IP address is causing issue.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 10:18:09 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline gvspfc

• Blumenau/Brazil Wunderground
Re: WS-2902A Firmware Upgrades for Display Console + New Firmware Discussion
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 09:30:49 AM »
How to Check and Upgrade Firmware on the WS-2902A Display Console

The WS-2902A display console connects to the Internet via WiFi and is responsible for uploading to the various online weather website services. The important thing to know about the WS-2902A display console is that updates are not done automatically. You will not get notified when a new firmware is available. Therefore it is important from time to time to check to see if a new firmware is available and then you can easily perform the upgrade.

Steps to check for and upgrade firmware:
  • Your mobile device (phone/tablet) must be connected to the same WiFi network as your display console
  • Open awnet app on your mobile device
  • Select your device from the Device List in the app
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
  • Notice your current version number is displayed at the bottom right starting with AMBWeather
  • If there is a firmware update available you will see the, Update Firmware to x.x.x button
  • Press the Update Firmware to x.x.x button to perform the update
  • Once the update is complete the Update Firmware button disappears, you will only see it when the next update is available
  • Confirm that your console got updated by looking at the currently displayed version number. If you report to Weather Underground you can also go to your WU Dashboard and click on the About this PWS link and it will show the software and version number of your console.

If you have multiple display consoles they will be listed in the display list separately. You must upgrade them individually. If you have multiple display consoles you should only configure one to be the one that uploads to the Internet weather services. The additional display consoles could still benefit from being connected to WiFi to keep time synchronized on the screen (just turn off the reporting to weather websites.)

If you have an older WS-2902 (non A version) you can use the awnet app instead of the old Osprey app and it will convert a WS-2902 into a WS-2902A. Download the newest manual for the WS-2902A to see the improvements. Mostly it is the addition of the MiFi function to make it easier to join a network. Going forward as newer firmware is released they will provide fixes and new features.

Hello Galfert.

First of all, sorry about my english mistakes, im from Brasil.

In your first post youd said that with awnet i can transform a 2902 into a 2902A. I own a 2902 and cant use ambientweather.net, which the 2902A can use. Is there really a way to make my 2902 into a 2902A?

What should I do for this happen? I have installed on my android phone an app called "ambient tool" but it looks different than the screenshot you posted...

Thanks for your help

EDIT__________

Found the "awnet" app on google play at my desktop computer but it says that my phone isn´t compatible... WTF??? I have a Galaxy S7 (GM930F)...

Why isn´t compatible? Any workaround?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:01:38 AM by gvspfc »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 12:53:26 PM »
If your WS-2902 can't use ambientweather.net then it isn't really an Ambient Weather branded WS-2902. You might have a different branded Fine Offset clone. So if it isn't a WS-2902 then there is probably little chance that you can turn whatever it is into a WS-2902A.
Tele-Pole

Offline gvspfc

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 02:07:40 PM »
If your WS-2902 can't use ambientweather.net then it isn't really an Ambient Weather branded WS-2902. You might have a different branded Fine Offset clone. So if it isn't a WS-2902 then there is probably little chance that you can turn whatever it is into a WS-2902A.

I send an email to Ed at Ambient Weather and he told me my was a 2902 "without A", only 2902A are able to use ambientweather.net, so, as my is 2902 i can´t use it. This is why I would like to use awnet to update it to 2902A, but, as i said, the app shows as not compatible with my Galaxy S7.

Do you know why this happens? Is there any way to solve this problem?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 03:33:24 PM »
Seems to me like there probably was some misunderstanding and miscommunication between you and Ed. I trust everything that Ed says, but just because you heard Ed say it doesn't mean that Ed understood you before he answered and/or it doesn't mean that you understood his response.

So let's start over. Forget what Ed said because I think there is miscommunication. Does your WS-2902 display console say Ambient Weather on top? Or does it show some other brand? Because I suspect that you living in Brazil have some other brand. Fine Offset sells to Ambient and to many other resellers that put their brand name on the hardware.

The WS-2902 (Ambient branded) is capable of uploading to ambientweather.net. It is not necessary to have a WS-2902A to report to ambientweather.net. The only difference between a WS-2902 and a WS-2902A is the MiFi capability of the WS-2902A, and with the latest firmware version of the WS-2902A it also has a fixed DNS query fix.

If your WS-2902 can't upload to ambientweather.net then I suspect it isn't a truly branded Ambient Weather hardware.

When you say that the Galaxy S7 says it isn't compatible, is that an error message before or after installing the app? The error that you are having on your Galaxy S7 could be some sort of Android software issue, or it could be that it shows up as not compatible because you are not in the USA and the app may be locked by region. I suggest using a different mobile device perhaps even an iPhone. You only need to borrow it. After the station is upgraded you no longer need the app. But I think first you need to know if you truly have an Ambient branded hardware.

Realize that ambientweather.net is not a free service. This is only a for free service for Ambient branded stations. Other Fine Offset clones that look like the same hardware are not able to upload to ambientweather.net because they were sold by another company and they don't have the license and therefore their setup app does not show ambientweather.net as an option.

I have another way of checking what you have. What is your Weather Underground station ID? That will tell us your current firmware.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:08:41 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 03:55:33 PM »
Well I think I found you on WU. You are IBLUMENA15 right? Your station is running the following firmware:
EasyWeatherV1.2.2

Therefore it is not an Ambient Weather branded hardware as I suspected. Ambient's firmware that their original WS-2902 ran was AMBWeatherV3.x.x. The EasyWeatherV1.2.2 that you are running indicates that you have some other Fine Offset clone brand.

So you are unlikely going to be able to upgrade your hardware to run Ambient firmware. Even if you managed to get it installed it still would not work because Ambient checks the stations reporting to ambientweather.net against MAC address hardware numbers that they sold.

There is a way for you to upload to ambientweather.net. You'll need a compatible ObserverIP device and you'll need a Meteobridge. Then you'll need to pay Ambient one time $150 for for the ability to upload to ambientweather.net. After paying for the $150 license they will enter in the Meteobridge MAC address into their allowed device list for uploading. You could also buy a prelicenced WeatherBridge from Ambient as that is the same as a Meteobridge with Ambient's license already registered (you still need the compatible ObserverIP).

* UPDATE - March 2020 - Ambientweather.net license for Meteobridge has new lower price, now just $100
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:32:39 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline gvspfc

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 09:08:54 AM »
Well I think I found you on WU. You are IBLUMENA15 right? Your station is running the following firmware:
EasyWeatherV1.2.2

Therefore it is not an Ambient Weather branded hardware as I suspected. Ambient's firmware that their original WS-2902 ran was AMBWeatherV3.x.x. The EasyWeatherV1.2.2 that you are running indicates that you have some other Fine Offset clone brand.

So you are unlikely going to be able to upgrade your hardware to run Ambient firmware. Even if you managed to get it installed it still would not work because Ambient checks the stations reporting to ambientweather.net against MAC address hardware numbers that they sold.

There is a way for you to upload to ambientweather.net. You'll need a compatible ObserverIP device and you'll need a Meteobridge. Then you'll need to pay Ambient one time $150 for for the ability to upload to ambientweather.net. After paying for the $150 license they will enter in the Meteobridge MAC address into their allowed device list for uploading. You could also buy a prelicenced WeatherBridge from Ambient as that is the same as a Meteobridge with Ambient's license already registered (you still need the compatible ObserverIP).

You are tottaly right my friend, it itsnt a Ambient Weather branded station.

So, I think i can live without reporting to ambientweather.net, WU and weathercloud are enough to me.

Knowing that the sensor and console are the same, thats good to me and the station is working flawlessly and totaly accurate in my place.

Lastly, and just to know, do you think if i purchase a brande Ambient Weather 2902A console, will it work with my outdoor sensor, or they put some lock on the outdoor sensor too?

Oh yes, you find me on WU!!! Thats me.

And thank you so so much for all the help.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 09:44:39 AM »
Lastly, and just to know, do you think if i purchase a brande Ambient Weather 2902A console, will it work with my outdoor sensor, or they put some lock on the outdoor sensor too?.

Fine Offset clone stations use either 915 MHz or 433 MHz or 868 MHz. If your station is one that uses 915 MHz then you might be able to use an Ambient branded console. I would bet that you are using 433 MHz, so it won't work.
Tele-Pole

Offline gvspfc

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 12:42:00 PM »
Lastly, and just to know, do you think if i purchase a brande Ambient Weather 2902A console, will it work with my outdoor sensor, or they put some lock on the outdoor sensor too?.

Fine Offset clone stations use either 915 MHz or 433 MHz or 868 MHz. If your station is one that uses 915 MHz then you might be able to use an Ambient branded console. I would bet that you are using 433 MHz, so it won't work.

Thank you so much my friend

Offline dacker

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 11:31:56 AM »
One thing I have noticed I cannot calibrate the Wind Direction .. I can go positive ..i.e. +10 degrees ...but I cannot go negative (which is what I need to do).  The Manual state it should calbrate +/- 180 degrees.

I've tried emailing support to no avail.  I have the 4.0.3 firmware upgrade installed.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 09:22:02 PM »
I haven't tested it but maybe if you wanted -90 that would be the same as +270.  If you need -10 then you set it for +350....etc.  Try it and let us know.
Tele-Pole

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 06:17:29 AM »
You will not get notified when a new firmware is available.

Thanks for your post. It's too bad the firmware update notice isn't provided to customers.  Even an email notification from Ambient would be better than nothing.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 01:16:45 PM »
I'd like to discus the WS-2902A console Rain Total counter. If you have one of these can you check your Rain Total and share if that total rain amount is cumulative since you had this console in operation, or if your Rain Total automatically reset on January 1, 2019? Let us know what firmware you are on too.

I'm currently still running firmware 4.0.2 and my rain total was not reset on January 1, 2019.

I'm wondering when this Rain Total resets if at all? The manual says if you press and hold the RAIN button for 2 seconds it resets to zero. But I didn't think or know to do that on January 1st. And now that it has rained since January 1st, I won't have a running Total for the year. You can't edit this number.

I'm wondering if anyone with a newer firmware than 4.0.2 can tell me if their Rain Total reset automatically January 1, 2019?

I also own a WS-2000 display tablet and an ObserverIP. Both of those devices automatically reset rain on January 1st. But one major difference is that these other devices don't call it Rain Total but instead have Yearly Rain designation.

Maybe this is the intended use for the WS-2902A and that is why it clearly doesn't say Yearly. If that is the case then I think this is yet another reason to prefer the WS-2000.
Tele-Pole

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 01:43:50 PM »
I believe on the WS-2000 you can set the date that the Yearly Rain resets. 

The WS-2902A has a very limited display type (color film LCD).  My guess is they could not create a good way to set the date on WS-2902A for when the "Total Rain" resets, so they left it up to the user.
Ambient WS-2000, Central Ohio - WU WC
Ambient
WS-2902, Lake Erie   -    WU WC

Offline SWX

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 04:38:11 PM »
2902A Firmware 4.1.1, rainfall is cumulative, 54.42” on both the console and on Ambient Weather.

My station’s been up and running since March 2018. I actually hadn’t noticed that the total on the console didn’t reset, I noticed it on Ambient Weather, but I thought nothing of it.
Wunderground / PWS Weather
Ambient Weather WS-2902A
Ambient WeatherBridge
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH51 x 2
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WS68

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 05:15:57 PM »
Looks like the Total and the Yearly are sent up from the console.

I just checked mine;
The WS-2000 reset Jan 1 as both the "Yearly" and monthly are the same.  Ambient Weather has the same values.

My WS-2902A is not accessible at this time, but the Ambient Weather shows the "Total" as 57.24 and the monthly as 1.40.  I am guessing that if I did the reset on the WS-2902A for the Total, then at Ambient Weather it would go to zero too.

BTW -  they are labeled that way on Ambient Weather; Yearly for the WS-2000 and Total for the WS-2902A.
Ambient WS-2000, Central Ohio - WU WC
Ambient
WS-2902, Lake Erie   -    WU WC

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 12:52:53 AM »
Thank you all for reporting in. Good catch noticing ambientweather.net also used Rain Total for the WS-2902A.

Tele-Pole

anything