Author Topic: Arizona Monsoon 2018 and the Impacts of Hurricane Rosa  (Read 1070 times)

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Current weather conditions in North Phoenix, Ariz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
    • Pepper Ridge North Valley  Weather and Lightning
Arizona Monsoon 2018 and the Impacts of Hurricane Rosa
« on: October 03, 2018, 08:59:45 PM »
It's been a while since I posted anything on here but we just had some interesting weather here in Arizona just as the Monsoon season ended we were impacted by the remnants of Hurricane Rosa which produced record setting rainfall in the Southwest but overall the impact on the drought will be minimal.

For starters we just ended an active Monsoon Season which ended with about normal rainfall when all was said and done.

For the Month of September Pepperridge North Valley received 0.24 inches which is (0.64) inches below normal. The Monsoon Season total for Pepperidge North Valley was 3.99 inches which is +0.56 inches for the season!! For September Sky Harbor received 0.43 inches which is (0.21) inches below normal. The Monsoon Season total for Sky Harbor was 2.63 inches which (0.08) inches below normal!! full details at: http://www.pepperridgenorthvalley.com/monsoon-rn.php

Then came Rosa which in some cases produced more rain  :shock: in 72 hrs than during the entire monsoon Sky Harbor received 2.36 inches yesterday and a total of 2.76 inches more than the entire Monsoon. Here in North Valley of Phoenix 2.73 inches for a daily record and 3 day total of 2.93 inches for Rosa about 2/3 of my Monsoon total in three days. In the mountains north and east of Phoenix 4 to 5 inches fell

Record Breaking Rainfall today with 2.73 inches which the 2nd wettest calendar day on record for this station and 3rd wettest 24 hour period with 2.75 inches.

11:05pm 71°F (H 75/L 68) Night time/Recent showers 🌧️ Hum:94% Wind:SE 0 G-15mph Baro: 29.88in Rain: 2.73in http://tinyurl.com/67zwnhq #weather #fb #Rosa

Here's Pepperidge's top wettest days on record.
1. 2.79 inches on Feb 13th, 2003
2. 2.73 inches on Oct 2nd, 2018
3. 2.51 inches on Sept 8th, 2014
4. 2.31 inches on Aug 19th, 2014
5. 2.05 inches on Apr 2nd, 2004

1 2.79 inches on Feb 13th, 2003 (24 hr period)
2 2.76 inches on Sept 6th & 7th, 2006 (24 hr period)
3. 2.75 inches on Oct 1st & 2nd, 2018 (24 hr period)
4. 2.51 inches on Sept 8th, 2014 (24 hr period)
5. 2.31 inches of Aug 19th, 2014 (24 hr period)

I included some images too to show the significant of this Historical Rainfall event in Phoenix

Jeanette
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:39:37 PM by AZmonsooncats »
"Some dreams are in the night time, And some seem like yesterday
But leaves turn brown and fade, Ships sail away
You long to say a thousand words…but Seasons Change."

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Arizona Monsoon 2018 and the Impacts of Rosa
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 09:40:59 PM »
Good report. Surprised Phoenix Monsoon is under 3". 

I was in Arizona when the tornado outbreak happened back in Oct. 2010. That was one of the more unusual weather events with 9 tornados tracking south to north across the mountains.
Randy

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Current weather conditions in North Phoenix, Ariz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
    • Pepper Ridge North Valley  Weather and Lightning
Re: Arizona Monsoon 2018 and the Impacts of Rosa
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 10:11:56 PM »
Thank you Valentine Weather

Good report. Surprised Phoenix Monsoon is under 3". 

I was in Arizona when the tornado outbreak happened back in Oct. 2010. That was one of the more unusual weather events with 9 tornados tracking south to north across the mountains.

Yes I remember that year too, a strong cut low dived down into Arizona and interacted with residual Monsoon Moisture and we had a severe outbreak of thunderstorms over Phoenix on Oct 5th, 2010 this led to super-cell thunderstorms that dropped up to golf ball size hail on parts of Phoenix and the next day Oct 6th the headed north in Northern Arizona and lead to the Tornado outbreak.

Late September early October can bring interesting Weather to the Southwest as we transition from the Monsoon season pattern to a fall winter pattern if the elements set-up right storms from the Pacific interact with the remaining Monsoon Moisture and we get severe weather.

Hurricane Rosa fell on an interesting anniversary the flood of 1983 in Southern Arizona when I lived in Tucson. A low pressure in-acted with the remnants of Tropical Storm Octave which led to flooding rains across Southeastern Arizona. It had been a very active Monsoon and then I received  :shock: 6.25 inches on Oct 1st and 1.50 inches on Oct 2nd several rivers jump their banks and flooded the small mining towns of Duncan and Clifton and Morrenci in SE Arizona and a bridge on I-19 south of Tucson was almost taken out that was a quite a storm.

These events are not uncommon this time of year and once about every 5 years we get hit hopefully it is a good sign of the expected " El Nino" these events tend to happen during those years and we badly needed the rain as we just offically finished the last water year ending Sept 30th with only 3.63 inches about (4.40) below normal.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:16:15 PM by AZmonsooncats »
"Some dreams are in the night time, And some seem like yesterday
But leaves turn brown and fade, Ships sail away
You long to say a thousand words…but Seasons Change."

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

anything