Author Topic: Stormy Day in southside Virginia (9/22/10)  (Read 1343 times)

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
Stormy Day in southside Virginia (9/22/10)
« on: September 23, 2010, 12:17:25 AM »
It was a dark and stormy night late afternoon in Roanoke and areas eastward.  I was driving the center lane northbound I-581 near the Roanoke airport when a storm suddenly intensified.  Wind-driven rain reduced the visibility to about 20 feet, to the point I literally couldn't see the car in front of me.  Not a pleasant feeling when you're still driving 30+ mph.   After a brake check or two, I passed a row of cars parked in the right lane (not on the shoulder, mind you) for a 2-mile stretch between Valley View Mall and Peters Creek Road.  The Roanoke airport measured a wind gust of 58 mph around that time and a quick 0.68" of rain.  Here at the house about 2 miles away, we must have been between cells, as I had a gust of only 24 mph and 0.01" of rain.

Our fellow forum member George Richardson had some stormy weather today on the lake as well.

Here is the last webcam picture I got from his camera:

I'm sure you can see the wall of water over the lake in the picture.  Reminded me of my drive home.  George measured a wind gust of at least 51 mph, which I believe would be a record for him.  His web site hasn't updated since that time and his cameras are still offline (normally I think they are up 24/7).  Hopefully it's only a power outage and not the result of a lightning strike or property damage.

I'm sure (hoping) he will chime in with his thoughts.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Stormy Day in southside Virginia (9/22/10)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 12:35:29 AM »
.68"  :shock: That little see-saw in the rain gauge would be smokin'!

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:18:07 PM »
Everything appears to be back to normal today.

There are multiple storm reports of trees being toppled by those winds, so I'm sure there were power outages in the area.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:59:38 PM »
Kevin,
Thanks for the CMA, and especially for the camera capture. I went to the Post Office at 5:00 and by the time I got back all hell had broken loose. Power was out and wasn't restored until 3:30 today. I'm just now catching up on the posts on the board. When I got home we had had the 51mph gust and .62" rain and the power outage then about 5:30 phase 2 came through and dropped another .09". I'll tell you what, if you want to buy stock, buy it in a power company! They'll never go out of business! Oh, BTW, I have battery back ups on all my stuff but knew they wouldn't outlast the outage so I just shut everything down.
George

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 09:01:27 PM »
Kevin,
Thanks for the CMA, and especially for the camera capture. I went to the Post Office at 5:00 and by the time I got back all hell had broken loose. Power was out and wasn't restored until 3:30 today. I'm just now catching up on the posts on the board. When I got home we had had the 51mph gust and .62" rain and the power outage then about 5:30 phase 2 came through and dropped another .09". I'll tell you what, if you want to buy stock, buy it in a power company! They'll never go out of business! Oh, BTW, I have battery back ups on all my stuff but knew they wouldn't outlast the outage so I just shut everything down.
George

As bad as it was in your area, the radar returns were even stronger to your north, especially in Moneta proper.  Radar returns were as high as 67 dBZ there.

anything