Author Topic: Video of tornado?  (Read 2907 times)

Offline AMDRick

Video of tornado?
« on: May 02, 2010, 12:53:18 PM »
I got this on video, but I am not sure if its a funnel cloud or tornado....or neither. I need some help here, so hopefully you can chip some info in. Thanks, also, watching in 720P "cleans" out some of the flickering when its black.

Thank you! -Rick Aka Weather Newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQXbe0gE_38

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
Re: Video of tornado?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 01:08:14 PM »
My initial thought is that it is not a funnel but it's very hard to tell on night shots like that where we are just getting snap shots of what's going on and can't see the entire evolution. I think it looked more like an inflow scud.
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 01:11:40 PM »
My initial thought is that it is not a funnel but it's very hard to tell on night shots like that where we are just getting snap shots of what's going on and can't see the entire evolution. I think it looked more like an inflow scud.

Nope, you can't see in the lightning backshadows any shelf/wall clouds.  This appears to be scud.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline AMDRick

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 01:16:20 PM »
Being a weather nooby, what exactly is a scud lol? Also forgot to add that minutes prior to this there was also brief hail(dime), and before and during it the tornado siren was going off, but to my understanding it was just a precaution. Thanks for the replies.

Wow, googling scud clouds on google images returned a lot of them and they look just like funnel clouds to me.  Lastly, is there anyway to record at night while seeing action the whole time and not only seeing frames that are illuminated by lightning?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 01:22:38 PM by AMDRick »

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 01:40:44 PM »
Scuds are commonly confused for funnels, it's a very easy thing to mistake.  What you have to look for is rotation in the scud.  If you see that it's a funnel, but a typical scud will just move quickly in one direction.  Scuds can form and rise into the storm forming a wall cloud. 

As far as night shooting, there isn't much you can do but hope the lightning is frequent enough to illuminate what you are trying to see.  That's why chasing at night is so dangerous. 
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline AMDRick

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 02:22:08 PM »
Alright I think I get it now, thing is I dont think we have had a strong daytime storm here in a long time...they always seem to hit us late at night.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 10:00:33 PM »
Alright I think I get it now, thing is I dont think we have had a strong daytime storm here in a long time...they always seem to hit us late at night.

That's weird, given that the daytime heating is usually the biggest catalyst and there are more daytime tornadoes than night-time.

I had a guy debate me on that, saying more people get killed at night in tornadoes.

This is true.  That's because it's harder for the spotters to see a tornado at night; but can also be difficult during the day if you have an entirely rain-wrapped funnel.

Doesn't change the fact that daytime tornadoes are more frequent though.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »

That's weird, given that the daytime heating is usually the biggest catalyst and there are more daytime tornadoes than night-time.

I had a guy debate me on that, saying more people get killed at night in tornadoes.

This is true.  That's because it's harder for the spotters to see a tornado at night; but can also be difficult during the day if you have an entirely rain-wrapped funnel.

Doesn't change the fact that daytime tornadoes are more frequent though.

That's true. Very true actually. However, if LLJ's are strong enough ahead of potently moving frontal boundary, mesocyclone development can definitely occur at night (as was the case last night across northern AR into western KY).

What's worse is in the case that a funnel is rain-wrapped, then you know that anybody who is in the path of the storm is screwed indefinitely.

(If I'm getting the math right).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 10:08:47 PM by Chris H. »
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 10:08:45 PM »
   I agree with the scud ID.  The definition of scud is:small, ragged, low cloud fragments that are unattached to a larger cloud base and often seen with and behind cold fronts and thunderstorm gustfronts.  Such clouds are generally with cool moist air such as thunderstorm outflow.
   No matter what it was I would have been a bit on the "nervous" side if I saw that coming towards me and I could only see it during brief lightning flashes!!

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 10:09:15 PM »
   I agree with the scud ID.  The definition of scud is:small, ragged, low cloud fragments that are unattached to a larger cloud base and often seen with and behind cold fronts and thunderstorm gustfronts.  Such clouds are generally with cool moist air such as thunderstorm outflow.
   No matter what it was I would have been a bit on the "nervous" side if I saw that coming towards me and I could only see it during brief lightning flashes!!

I would be in the basement.
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

anything