Author Topic: Data indicates a deadly severe weather peak during Thanksgiving Week  (Read 2499 times)

Offline weathernms

According to data since 1980 from the NCDC, there is usually a sharp peak in severe weather weather during Thanksgiving Week in Mississippi, typically from the 22nd to the 24th.

This may be the case across the Mid-South and Southeast.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-5181-Jackson-Weather-Examiner~y2009m11d18-Data-indicates-a-deadly-severe-weather-peak-during-Thanksgiving-Week

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
Re: Data indicates a deadly severe weather peak during Thanksgiving Week
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 03:17:36 PM »
It is probably because of the sharp contrast between temps at time of year, kind of like spring. Although there might be some warm moist days, a blast of cold air will set it all off.

We'll see what happens here in Atlanta!

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 03:27:41 PM »
Just found this for Georgia:

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 03:44:10 PM »
November has become known as the second severe weather season in recent years.

Offline weathernms

Offline aleutianman

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 07:26:41 PM »

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 02:52:03 AM »
Really and truly, I think November and December are some of the deadliest months for severe weather in the Southeast historically, not just recently. I have seen tons of reports and stories about severe weather striking this region in late Autumn and early Winter with far deadlier results than one would typically think of for this time of year.

I believe the spike in severe weather this time of year is, as Dacula said, because of the more potent ingredients (much colder air than Spring but meeting Spring like warmth.) However, I believe the seemingly larger number of casualties is because seasonal association. 

People are less aware of the weather this time of year. Even though there have been countless deadly severe weather events in Autumn and Winter, they are so sporadic (rather than the seemingly once or twice a week we tend to get in Spring time) that people just have a hard time associating severe weather with Winter. In fact, I would almost be willing to bet that certain tornadic events that have struck in the Autumn and Winter in our region have been adjusted in people's memories to the point that they may remember them having happened in Spring.

I know my mother has started doing that as she absolutely refuses to admit that they had severe weather during any Winter month before the last ten to twenty years. She swears up and down that it is something that only began recently.

blackjack52

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 09:20:59 PM »
From my SATT software.
For Jackson, MS using a 20 mile annual coverage fraction for all TORs since 1950.

blackjack52

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 09:22:15 PM »
more

The avg chance of getting hit w/in 20mi of Jackson, MS is 1.9%.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:26:14 PM by MadALwx »

anything