Author Topic: Weatherstation now running on Acer netbook  (Read 28468 times)

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
Re: Weatherstation now running on Acer netbook
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2009, 05:01:27 PM »
I downloaded the Comcast security suite as well for the ACER, working fine.  If you have a desktop with CD drive, as long as you are on a WiFi setup and the power is on for the desktop, you can share the CD drive by going into properties for the drive and designating it as a shared file/folder.

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2009, 05:10:03 PM »
This might be purely software related, but I tried to install a program onto my Vista box (happened to be a demo version of Intuit taxes) using a CD drive on my weather computer (the CD drive died on my Vista box).

I could see the drive over the network, but the program would not load with the error something like "CD drive not on users computer"--or whatever...

Point being that either Vista or Intuit didn't like a network drive trying to load software...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2009, 05:32:11 PM »
Your serial to USB device will come with a CD for the drivers.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2009, 05:38:46 PM »
Is your weather computer also Vista?  I'm only going XP to XP and haven't experienced any problems so far, once I changed the sharing permission level on my desktop CD drive to share.  So far, the only thing I've uploaded using that drive is Quicken and Weatherlink.  Also able to access a disc with photos and video clips with no problem.  That reminds me, I have to bug my brother to borrow his copy of turbotax!

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2009, 08:37:02 PM »
Well, this morning my wife asked if I had ordered the Netbook I wanted to get? With that in mind I have now placed my order for the new Acer Aspire One 10.1" Netbook in Blue (she likes blue!)  \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ One just can't turn down such suggestions.....

If she still finds the need to spend even more money you can send one to me while your at it as well.   O:)

Hi Mark!

Looks like the heavy weather went around you last night. I watched it from your site for several hours.

Well, I asked my wife if I could throw in another order for a weather friend (you) - all I got was one of those stares that made me wish I hadn't asked the questions  :roll:

Also, got a notice that my new Acer 10.1" is on its way and due to arrive Friday the 13th - Just hope that date isn't a bad omen  :twisted:
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2009, 08:46:23 PM »
The larger video screen and larger battery alone make the price difference over the model I have worth the extra money. I love my little AAO; I bet you will enjoy yours as well. Anyway, if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help. Congrats!

BTW, my folks live in Reno, and when I visit them, we always head down to your neck of the woods (actually Gardnerville) to get some Basque food. Great stuff!

Bruce

Bruce,

We go to JT's Basque restaurant every once in a while. Great food but I just can't eat that much food too often though. Do you go to JT's or Overland? Both are good but we prefer JT's.

Will let you know how the new Acer install goes.

Also, do you know what memory can be installed in the unit? I understand it will take a 2GB memory stick but don't know what to look for. Have read that some folks have pulled the factory 160GB drive and replaced it with a WD 500GB drive. Just slips right in with no mods needed at all. Drive runs about $89 according the post I read over on the  Acer forum. Being able to upgrade the memorty and drive without having to disassemble the netbook to get at them (as you do on the 8.9" AOA model).
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2009, 10:49:36 PM »
Is your weather computer also Vista?  I'm only going XP to XP and haven't experienced any problems so far, once I changed the sharing permission level on my desktop CD drive to share.  So far, the only thing I've uploaded using that drive is Quicken and Weatherlink.  Also able to access a disc with photos and video clips with no problem.  That reminds me, I have to bug my brother to borrow his copy of turbotax!

No, wx computer is xp--but the install would start to run over the network, I just don't know if it was Intuit that could tell it was a networked drive and it stopped, or if generally it's hard to install programs across the network... otherwise I've got a bunch of stuff shared on the network with no problems...
Marc
Wilmington, NC

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2009, 11:27:53 PM »
Hi Mark!

Looks like the heavy weather went around you last night. I watched it from your site for several hours.

Well, I asked my wife if I could throw in another order for a weather friend (you) - all I got was one of those stares that made me wish I hadn't asked the questions  :roll: ...

Oh well, thanks anyway for taking the risk and asking.  :lol: 

Only thing that really happened last night was the dang power went off again for nearly 2 hours.  That was 30 min. or so before what little rain we got had arrived.   #-o
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2009, 11:29:01 PM »
Don, you need a 2 GB soDIMM .  SODIMMs are  not memory sticks BTW.  I picked p a 2 gig SODIMM on Boxing Day for ~20 bucks.  Kingston.  OCZ is a good brand as well.  Ditto for Crucial.  Avoid the off-brands.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:39:06 PM by Bushman »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2009, 01:13:22 AM »
Bruce,

I read in the Acer Forum that the 10.1" AOD150 does not have the 512MB memory like the 8.9" model does. All memory on the new unit is installed in the memory slot so upgrading to 2GB is just a matter of extracting the old 1GB memory and installing the 2GB in its place. If I can find the Acer Forum thread that talks about it I'll post it here for your reference.

Back to JT's - the food there is too good - that's why I stay away from it - too tempting...  :-)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2009, 01:51:59 AM »
Here's the link to the Acer User Forum regarding adding more memory and an HDD upgrade.

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=12108

I've found the 2GB Kingston memory (KAC-MEME/2G) for around $27 on the web. Just search for "KAC-MEME/2G" to find the current pricing.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2009, 06:19:38 PM »
I am now hearing rumors of a new Acer Aspire One called the D250... No details as yet other than some comments about air vents on the side and a new motherboard.

Here is a link to one of the rumor blogs:

Also here are a few links to manuals (in pdf format) for both the 8.9" and 10.1":

Acer Aspire One 8.9" Netbook
Acer Aspire One 10.1" Netbook

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2009, 10:01:20 PM »
Acer Aspire One 10.1" received today!!!  :grin: :grin:

This is a sweet little unit. Am still getting used to the smaller keyboard but it feels really nice despite it's small size. The touchpad is a bit different than I am used to also but I suspect I'll get used to it too as time goes on.

A couple questions for those of you who have netbooks:

• I can see that I will most definitely want to get a USB Optical drive for this unit to do backups - any suggestions on what to get?
  • Is there a CD or DVD available from Acer that contains the original image of the disk?

I have already dumped the McAfee Security Suite and installed AVG free version as my anti-virus package. That eliminated over 220MB of disk usage alone. Will most likely deinstall MS Office and possibly some other packages that came with the unit that I have no use for.

Now I've got to get busy and start migrating my software from my main system to this new unit.

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2009, 10:26:45 PM »
There are some threads in the netbook user forums that say if you call Acer they will send you a recovery disk (for free most of the time). Some have suggested that you need to do this within 90 days. You might also have to bitch and moan a bit, depends on the CSR you get... otherwise they'll be happy to charge you for the disk... this is because although Acer has the eRecovery program on the netbook, the option to create a backup disk is disabled.

There's an article here http://de.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvps8324694103.serverpool.info%2Faaowiki%2Fhowto%3Acreate_recovery_dvd&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=%C3%9Cbersetzen on how to install another version of eRecovery that will create a recovery disk, but of course, you'd have to attach an external CD/DVD drive...

I'm still struggling with what to do about a backup... I've used DriveImage XML to create an image, but haven't yet saved it separate from the hard drive on the Acer yet, still need to look at some of the settings (image vs. backup and size results).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:29:03 PM by ncpilot »
Marc
Wilmington, NC

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2009, 01:37:27 AM »
I've got a Samsung DVD writer for my Asus netbook.  Works fine, if a bit large.  There are USB powered ones that are very small for really portable use, too.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2009, 05:44:55 PM »
One doesn't have to settle for the tiny screen of the Acers and others.  One can do as I did and go on E-bay and see if you can bid for a 14.1" used Dell laptop for around $300.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2009, 05:48:07 PM »
meh...  the point of the netbooks is to have a small, cheap, new, warrantied  micro-laptop.  You can get brand new Dell laptops for about $300 at Walmart.  But they are big, bulky, power-hungry (in comparison).

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2009, 05:50:14 PM »
Saw them for the first time last night at costco...  look pretty cool.  Anyone throw a kill-a-watt on one yet, to see what it draws in operation...?

Andrew

meh...  the point of the netbooks is to have a small, cheap, new, warrantied  micro-laptop.  You can get brand new Dell laptops for about $300 at Walmart.  But they are big, bulky, power-hungry (in comparison).

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2009, 05:52:41 PM »
I already posted watt draw for my Asus.  Or do you mean the Dells at Walmart?

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2009, 05:55:05 PM »

No, you can't get big brand new Dell laptops at Wal-Mart for a mere $300. That's utterly false.  But it is true that you can probably get the Acers currently being discussed in this topic for that at Wal-Mart, though.  Not everybody, including me, like those tiny screens, even if we don't need to use them often.  Nor do we like it that Acers don't come with a DVD drive, even though that situation can be countered with a USB thumbdrive.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 06:07:37 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2009, 06:06:35 PM »

No, forget about new Dells, anywhere.  The point was over the USED $300 Dells on E-bay.  Since the hardware is configured fairly similar to the new Acers, it can be questioned if the power need for used Dells is signifcantly greater.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2009, 06:08:03 PM »
LOL..  http://i.dell.com/images/ca/segments/dhs/walmart_landing_728x323_en.jpg

Anyway, no one is holding a gun to your head to buy a netbook. With a ~95% keyboard and a 10"+ screen they are pretty awesome.  Fast, cheap and portable. 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2009, 06:09:23 PM »

No, forget about new Dells, anywhere.  The point was over the USED $300 Dells on E-bay.  Since the hardware is configured fairly similar to the new Acers, it can be questioned if the power need for used Dells is signifcantly greater.

If I understand you correctly, then I think the answer is that a regular laptop will  burn 5-8 times the power of a SSHD netbook.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2009, 06:13:23 PM »
LOL..  http://i.dell.com/images/ca/segments/dhs/walmart_landing_728x323_en.jpg

Anyway, no one is holding a gun to your head to buy a netbook. With a ~95% keyboard and a 10"+ screen they are pretty awesome.  Fast, cheap and portable. 

Well, great, maybe they'll turn up used somewhere someday for $200 or less, especially if they become popular to use at the corporate level.  By the way, what was the link for?  Everyone already knew that Wal-Mart sells Dells.  But maybe some people were greatly disappointed that the link offered no proof that Wal-Mart sells big Dell laptops for $300.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 06:22:16 PM by Bunty »

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2009, 06:15:54 PM »
My Asus Eee PC hooks right up to my 22 inch monitor and the normal size key board and mouse hook up nicely. Mine is just setting here rebroadcasting my BCD996t scanner to Scanamerica http://summit.oh.scanamerica.us/index.php
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

anything