Author Topic: Siting Advice Welcomed, please  (Read 4149 times)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
Siting Advice Welcomed, please
« on: March 15, 2018, 04:04:43 PM »
I am a CoCoRaHS observer. At my age it was now or never on fulfilling a wish since I was growing up, a weather station to keep track of temperature, humidity, barometer, and wind to start with. I plan to purchase a Davis Vantage Pro 2 with FAR in the very near future.

Before I purchase, I want to have my site narrowed down among other things. So that is why I want to ask you about my situation. (Photo attached) I welcome input on where to locate my ISS. The photo has some information that I hope helps you give advice/opinion. This is Kansas. It is rural, surrounded by prairie grass. We get wind. We average about 20" precip a year.

I will plan to mount the anemometer temporarily at about 12 feet, then move it higher when I have more $$$. Points 1 and 2 are possible sites I have considered.

At this point, may I turn you lose to give input? Thank you.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Siting Advice Welcomed, please
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 04:25:40 PM »
Your sites 2, 1 seem like very good choice.  Higher than 12 feet should be your longer term plan.

(Oh, the shame. I spelled loose, lose.  :oops:)
You can edit your post(s) to hide your shame ;)

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 09:07:41 AM »
If you are going wireless, then point 2.  Something right out front where the wife can glare at as she backs into it.

When you move snow does it pile up near point 2?  if it does, point 1,  but 2 would be my choice.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 09:35:43 AM »
LOL on the wife. She would plant trees all over the place if given a chance. I am a prairie man myself.
Snow: We hardly get snow anymore. But I remember the good old days.
Location  2: Is getting a lot more visible to traffic on the county (unpaved, but used) road we live on. Some good old boy might decide to duck hunt my set up? I have little faith in human behavior at times. At any rate that is a consideration. Otherwise I am inclined to agree with you on 2.

Thanks for your input!

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 01:54:15 PM »
LOL on the wife. She would plant trees all over the place if given a chance. I am a prairie man myself.
Snow: We hardly get snow anymore. But I remember the good old days.
Location  2: Is getting a lot more visible to traffic on the county (unpaved, but used) road we live on. Some good old boy might decide to duck hunt my set up? I have little faith in human behavior at times. At any rate that is a consideration. Otherwise I am inclined to agree with you on 2.

Thanks for your input!

I have mine on a tripod.   I sunk 3 foot threaded steel rods through each of the six holes in the legs, put a nut on the top. then put in the mast with guy wires.  So far it has held up and definitely isn't going any where.     I put that in 20 years ago and so far it is sturdy.    http://www.desmoinesweather.org/weatherlink/main-station.html

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 04:28:22 PM »
Hey, Aardvark. Thanks a lot for that link to those pictures. I am digesting what I see; takes awhile for me to do that.

May I ask, what height you have on that anemometer? And what have you attached to the Davis tripod base  in  terms of pipe or whatever to get the height?

Is dealing with guy wires complicated?

Thanks for your time

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 05:21:11 PM »
Valentineweather, thank you for your reply. (Our temperatures are down about 30 degrees from this time yesterday. Did you send it?  :-) )

I keep thinking about  a 4 x 4 put in the ground, properly secured, two feet with Quickrete or equiv. I would leave 4-6' above ground level to mount instruments (other than wind) at about 5-6 feet. This would then be the base for a pole I could mount the anemometer on.  See below:

Pole  for anemometer must be something that I can then fasten to the 4 x 4 so that I have strong base. This pole (pipe?) has to get my anemometer at least 16-20 feet above the ground, but be something I can take down, one person job, to access the anemometer. Hinged pole? Two pieces joined together that I can reach and undo? I don't know. Wish I did.

The telescoping flagpole becomes a solution to the access problem, but can the cheap ones, even being attached to the 4 x 4 post worry me because of their lightweight construction.

Any further thoughts? Ideas? Or if you are sick of it, I don't blame you. Thanks again

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »
The 4x4 is a good idea for stability but I worry about mounting securely where it won't move around. If you can figure it out go for it.
The poles I use are not that heavy and I can easily lower the 16' pole at station #2.  The top pole is especially lightweight alloy of some kind and the lower section is heavier. They happen to fit together with top sliding inside lower, so I drilled a hole and used a bolt to secure together.
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 06:40:12 PM »
Hey, Aardvark. Thanks a lot for that link to those pictures. I am digesting what I see; takes awhile for me to do that.

May I ask, what height you have on that anemometer? And what have you attached to the Davis tripod base  in  terms of pipe or whatever to get the height?

Is dealing with guy wires complicated?

Thanks for your time

it is a steel mast, I got it at Radio Shack when they were in business around here.  it is grey, the 5 foot sections interlock but I have pipe clamps to be sure. It is 33feet tall.I stabilized against sway with the guy wires.    the reason I have two anemometers is when I put the top one in ,that was back in 1993. Wow.  I am a lot older and I thought that I wouldn't be able to pull the mast out to replace the top one if needed.   So I put in the bottom unit in case plus a wireless transmitter   that I can do the switch inside.

I have attached then the ISS (with Fars) the extra transmitter.  Guy wires are easy.   https://www.homedepot.com/p/ShelterLogic-30-in-Earth-Anchors-Set-4-Piece-10075/202719050s  are what the ground anchors are, I put in 3 up top and then some wire cable.   I attached to the pipe on of these : https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Up-Guy-Wire-Clamp-Mast/dp/B00CAIASIE
you run the cable from that to the guy wire.   I also used Galvanized Wire Rope Clips  to secure the wires and here we go.  I really am not in favor of using cinder blocks, particularly in the wind we get out here when it does decide to blow.   

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 06:50:29 PM »
DRoberts look at this post and tilt base for anemometer.  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34050.0;topicseen
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 06:55:38 PM »
you could do some looking on this site as others have found ways of mounting.  I am against mounting on the roof of the house,  yeah you get height, but in a good wind, you could lose part of your roof, down to the wood. Plus you are putting holes in the roof.  that allows for water to seep in over time, rot the surrounding wood and you have interior problems.  A second reason is falling off the roof if you need to go up there and adjust things. A third is radiating heat from the roof. But there are people who would swear by it.  Attaching to a chimney with clamps again in the wind puts stresses.  the ground on the other hand doesn't have these problems.

I saw this in another post :  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34050.0;topicseen   that mount looks good as well.  Is there a ham radio supply near by?  you could see what they have.   Again  look over this site as many have had the same question you have and there are a lot of solutions, some better than others an some that make you say "I hope they have a lot of money for accident insurance and home repair)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 10:46:59 PM »
Looking for a way to mount my VP 2 to a 4x4 post.  Would this item work? (See Link Below) I would attach it to the side of the post at the optimum height, 5-6'.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Winegard-Universal-Pipe-Tower-Mount-for-Antenna-DS-2000/204701089

I take it that an extension would need to be added to this so the station could be attached?
Do you think the angle is right?

Anything I need to consider?

Should I run away fast?

Not a tech or mechanical person, so please be kind??? And thanks!

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 05:45:08 AM »
Looking for a way to mount my VP 2 to a 4x4 post.  Would this item work? (See Link Below) I would attach it to the side of the post at the optimum height, 5-6'.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Winegard-Universal-Pipe-Tower-Mount-for-Antenna-DS-2000/204701089

I take it that an extension would need to be added to this so the station could be attached?

Should I run away fast?

That looks like the mount for a DirecTV dish.  I have my Vue mounted on one on a 4 X 4.  Getting it level is the main part.  Monitor the 4 X 4.  They can warp.

Good luck!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 09:28:52 AM »

Should I run away fast?

in addition to the warping, pick up some muffler or u bolt clamps that fit around the pipe.   the bolts that come with the davis might not be wide enough to attach, then they might do just fine.   If you go to the store take one with you to be sure.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 10:05:29 AM »
If you don't already have a 4x4 post, consider a pressure treated 6x6 and skip the dish mount. Mine has been on a 6x6 for years with no problems. Set the post square with north/south, and mount the ISS at the top (rim well above the post) with lag bolts to the south facing side (in the northern hemisphere). I think Davis supplies stainless lags with the station.

And, lesson learned, 4x4 or 6x6, if you are setting it in concrete, use pressure treated wood.

I chamfered the top of the post with a circular saw as well.

Then, when the bug bite has really infected you, you can mount a Stratus gauge on the north side of the post for comparison. :)

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 01:57:20 PM »
If you don't already have a 4x4 post, consider a pressure treated 6x6 and skip the dish mount. Mine has been on a 6x6 for years with no problems. Set the post square with north/south, and mount the ISS at the top (rim well above the post) with lag bolts to the south facing side (in the northern hemisphere). I think Davis supplies stainless lags with the station.

And, lesson learned, 4x4 or 6x6, if you are setting it in concrete, use pressure treated wood.

Also a 6X6 set in concrete gives a really sturdy mounting point for an anemometer mast. If you hinge it at the bottom and clamp at the top it is very easy to lower for maintenance.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 03:27:05 PM »

Should I run away fast?

I would not use that - it's not strong or stable enough (unless you are going to do guy wires).

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 03:38:53 PM »

Also a 6X6 set in concrete gives a really sturdy mounting point for an anemometer mast. If you hinge it at the bottom and clamp at the top it is very easy to lower for maintenance.
A 6x6 will resist warping better also.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 04:25:17 PM »
Gentlemen.... I am doing a group reply to save on my poor typing skills.

Found out today I don't have access to kiln dried pressure treated wood, so from what I researched I can only surmise that warping/twisting will be a distinct risk.  Living rural can be a pain.

Opinions/Experience on the following back up idea needed:

Metal post in concrete with 6 feet above ground as the base:  What  should I be concerned about? Weight? Cost?
How difficult is it to attach the ISS to a metal post?

Antenna/Mast to get the anemometer above the post? I would like to have that at least 15' above ground level. I have no ideas how I could do this with a metal post.

I am trying to keep cost down and not use guy wires.

Maybe I should just hang a barometer on the wall and call it good.  ;-)

The wood post idea was my first choice, but I just don't see it happening now.

Thanks for all advice and expertise.

Dave

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 05:21:23 PM »
You live in Kansas and you cannot find a fence post ?  :shock:

VP2 comes with mounting hardware:
- U-bolts sized to mount to a pole with outside diameter 1 1/4"  up to 1 3/4". The VP2 housing will accept a U-bolt for pole up to 2 1/2". 
- It also ships with 1/4" X 3" lag screws to mount to a wooden surface (fence post, 4X4, or other)

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 06:03:25 PM »
Gentlemen.... I am doing a group reply to save on my poor typing skills.

Found out today I don't have access to kiln dried pressure treated wood, so from what I researched I can only surmise that warping/twisting will be a distinct risk.  Living rural can be a pain.

Opinions/Experience on the following back up idea needed:

Metal post in concrete with 6 feet above ground as the base:  What  should I be concerned about? Weight? Cost?
How difficult is it to attach the ISS to a metal post?

Antenna/Mast to get the anemometer above the post? I would like to have that at least 15' above ground level. I have no ideas how I could do this with a metal post.

I am trying to keep cost down and not use guy wires.

Maybe I should just hang a barometer on the wall and call it good.  ;-)

The wood post idea was my first choice, but I just don't see it happening now.

Thanks for all advice and expertise.

Dave

Dave:
I have attached a photo of my VP2+ installation. I didn't use a pressure treated post as they tend to warp and twist. I used a 8'x4"x4" red cedar post. They are considerably more expensive $25.00 but they don't warp or rot unless submerged in water. The post is held in position with 100 lbs of concrete. I placed a 40lb bag of gravel in the bottom of the 2' deep hole before setting the post for drainage. I also stained the post before installation sealing all surfaces. The post in the photo is now 11 years old, the only maintenance I have is staining the post every 3 to 4 years. The metal post and hardware for the anemometer I purchased from ambient weather. The anemometer is 11' AGL in the photo, I purchased an extension for the metal post also from ambient weather and now have the anemometer @ 14' AGL.

I hope this info helps.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 06:12:27 PM by tshattuck »

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 06:12:59 PM »
You live in Kansas and you cannot find a fence post ?  :shock:

Not kiln dried treated ones, no. I was trying for the best post possible, not the typical dried out, gnarled, twisted limb stuck in the ground type of post.

Going to keep looking for a post. Metal is my second, fall back  option.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 06:13:08 PM »
That's no doubt the most aesthetically pleasing setup I've seen. Very nice!