Author Topic: Modded fan noise  (Read 587 times)

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
Modded fan noise
« on: February 27, 2018, 05:17:08 AM »
HI folks

When its cold sub zero, or freezing fog, my after market fan starts to make a noise, i have a feeling its spinning too fast and perhaps getting icing on the blades, pretty much the same way props do, what do you think? Its fine any other time....
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Modded fan noise
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 08:34:19 AM »
I have a small power supply in the garage for my 2 meter Ham rig that I have out there. It makes a lot of noise when it first starts up, but it settles down after a few minutes. I think that the lubricants are not working well due to the cold.

The "official" Davis fan in my ISS makes a racket too. The 2nd fan in my converted Temp/Hum station is better but sometimes makes noise.

Since it is out in the yard and I normally can't hear it, I figure that as long as it "works", I am not going to worry about it.

Mine make kind of a rattling noise, for your fan is this a "whine" rather than a random clattering noise?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
Re: Modded fan noise
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:42:30 AM »
Hi Greg, I have a nodded led light that tells me how the fan is running too, and when it's making the noise it's also slowing down, I too have a pc psu running the fan and one of the fans in that makes a rumbling whine too must just be below the operating temperature for them....
Kind regards
Bashy