Author Topic: Pole Heat and appearance  (Read 1518 times)

Offline DrBobDavisV2

Pole Heat and appearance
« on: December 17, 2017, 12:59:11 PM »
My 24 hour fan aspirated ISS is going to be attached to a Galvanized pole about 6 feet from the ground.  I'm too far down the road to think about something else for support.

My plan is to lay sod on the ground around the pole.  Trying to be as pure as possible, wouldn't the pole itself generate heat and be only a few inches away from the sensor?  Any thoughts on how to dampen that heat generation :roll:

I've thought maybe rope twined a foot above and a foot below the ISS may be a good alternative?

Any thoughts on how best to keep the installation as clean as possible and not have any dangling cables from the wind meter which will be a few feet above the ISS?  My thought was to send the cable down the inside of the pole and then out again to the ISS.  Grommet both holes.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:13:38 PM by DrBobDavisV2 »

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Pole Heat and appearance
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 01:56:21 PM »
No sod around my stations pole (desert landscape), but I did paint the pole white to reflect as much incident solar heat as possible.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:36:54 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 02:07:42 PM »
My 24 hour fan aspirated ISS is going to be attached to a Galvanized pole about 6 feet from the ground.  I'm too far down the road to think about something else for support.

Well, Dr. Bob - is the ISS going to be 6 feet above the ground?  Or the anemometer?  Or how tall is the pole, and what is nearby?  Perhaps, if you gave more information, people could give better answers.

But:

Sod would make it look nicer.

What size holes would you have to put in the pipe, to run the anemometer cable through them?

And, are you going to put a cap on the top of the pipe, to prevent rain from getting in?  Or how does it get out?  In other words - try being longer on descriptions.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 02:48:50 PM »
My ISS has sat in the desert attached to a galvanized tripod for 6 years or so, it'll be fine.

Offline DrBobDavisV2

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 07:38:23 PM »
Thanks y'all...The ISS will be about 6 feet high and the anemometer about 10 feet high.  The pole will be capped and I'm thinking a small hole, big enough for a grommet at the entry point up top and exit lower, should suffice.  I like the rope idea.  Will snap a few shots and post when it's all set-up.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 08:33:24 PM »
The ISS will be about 6 feet high and the anemometer about 10 feet high. 

OK, so it's where you want to measure the weather parameters at your house.  That's good.

..... I'm thinking a small hole, big enough for a grommet at the entry point up top and exit lower, should suffice.  Will snap a few shots and post when it's all set-up.

Please let us know what size hole is required, and pictures will be good.

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 10:57:08 PM »
Any heat from the pole would be negligible. 

The radiation shield will protect it from any radiated heat (which is far less than that of the sun). 

Even the slightest breeze would provide adequate mixing of any air heated by convection.  And if perfectly still, the convection would cause any heated air to rise.

And remember, air is a very poor conductor of heat.  So the ability of that pole to transfer any real amount of heat to the air is minimal. 

anything