Author Topic: Vantage VUE console acting funny  (Read 5324 times)

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
Re: Vantage VUE console acting funny
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 04:14:06 PM »
Thank you, sir!!! :grin:
Geno

Davis 6323 Wireless Vantage Pro2 ISS
with 24-Hr Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield and Aerocone
VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 04:28:07 PM »
Your welcome. I understand a budget, but let me highly suggest you get the fan aspirated ISS, be it the 24hr variety, if not, at least the DFARS (daytime fan only), being in Florida and all...

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »
Does the fan unit provide a more reliable temp/hum reading?
Update:  I took the entire VUE ISS unit apart and cleaned the temp/hum contacts -- no help.  Funny, the temp/hum sensor looks easy enough to replace if one could be had!
Received an email from Ed at Ambient Weather -- he recommended the 6322 unit as well.  I'll check the price with the fan.
-gene
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2017, 05:41:56 PM »
Does the fan unit provide a more reliable temp/hum reading?

Received an email from Ed at Ambient Weather -- he recommended the 6322 unit as well.  I'll check the price with the fan.
-gene
In calm or little wind on a sunny day, absolutely, the passive shield can be 4F warmer than a aspirated one, and that is from Davis themselves, let alone what the rest of us already know. ;)
As far as buying, look no further than here, you'll very unlikely find a better price and gentleman (Ryan) to work with. https://www.scaledinstruments.com/

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 05:48:27 PM »
Dang!  Out of Stock.  I'll ask Ryan about availability.  $272 is indeed the best price.  Plus the Daytime FARS is only $94 -- sweet.  thanks for the tip!
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 06:04:56 PM »
Wow -- this guy (Ryan) lives about 45 minutes from my home.  Just called him and waiting to hear back.  Again, thanks for the lead.
-gene
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 06:09:06 PM »
Wow -- this guy (Ryan) lives about 45 minutes from my home.  Just called him and waiting to hear back.  Again, thanks for the lead.
-gene
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that part! You'll have sales tax but negligible shipping, especially if you drive yourself! =D>

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 06:40:09 PM »
Did I misread the info -- apparently :)  I think the caution was compatibility with the original vantage vue pro???
Exactly. Your Vue console will work perfectly with ANY post VP1 ISS.

VUE is only compatible with VP2, end of story.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 06:45:34 PM »
Did I misread the info -- apparently :)  I think the caution was compatibility with the original vantage vue pro???

Ummm, didn't I say that?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 06:53:55 PM »

Ummm, didn't I say that?

I think mentioning the term "post VP1" should have been something more along the lines of "VP2 has absolutely no compatibility with VP1" or "VUE and VP2 are totally compatible" or "VP1 only works with VP1 compatible units, nothing else"   

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 07:05:24 PM »
There are ton of VP2 options
It was my way of telling the OP that no matter what configuration of VP2 he selected, the Vue would work, that's all.

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2017, 07:10:31 PM »
-gene

Ryan is really good to deal with. Anything from Davis I'll buy from him and any configuration of the VP2 will work on your Vue Console......................

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2017, 07:16:26 PM »
-gene

Ryan is really good to deal with. Anything from Davis I'll buy from him and any configuration of the VP2 will work on your Vue Console......................

But just be a little wary of the limitations with what the Vue console will display when receiving from VP2 or associated VP2 transmitters. The Vue console will not display everything the VP2 console is capable of. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2017, 07:23:49 PM »
-gene

The Vue console will not display everything the VP2 console is capable of.
Like what? Nothing I'm aware of. Not only, the Vue has the altimeter setting available, the VP2 console does not. Exactly why I bought it.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2017, 09:52:44 PM »
-gene

Like what? Nothing I'm aware of. Not only, the Vue has the altimeter setting available, the VP2 console does not. Exactly why I bought it.

VP2 specific (as opposed to the limitations of the Vue console) such as Leaf &Soil moisture/Temp stations, Temp stations, Temp/Humidity stations, Solar Radiation, UV Radiation, some wind averages as applies to hourly/daily/monthly/yearly etc

So no, any configuration of the VP2 will not work with your Vue console .........................

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2017, 10:04:38 PM »
-gene

VP2 specific (as opposed to the limitations of the Vue console) such as Leaf &Soil moisture/Temp stations, Temp stations, Temp/Humidity stations, Solar Radiation, UV Radiation, some wind averages as applies to hourly/daily/monthly/yearly etc

So no, any configuration of the VP2 will not work with your Vue console .........................
Fair enough, none of which I use. BTW, I think you meant to say "some" configuration, not "any". Just trying to be factual for the OP.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2017, 10:17:17 PM »
-gene

Fair enough, none of which I use. BTW, I think you meant to say "some" configuration, not "any". Just trying to be factual for the OP.

Well to be factual I didn't actually say that at all, I simply copied those words from a post above to clarify the comment and added a "not".

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2017, 03:37:33 AM »
VP2 specific (as opposed to the limitations of the Vue console) such as Leaf &Soil moisture/Temp stations, Temp stations, Temp/Humidity stations, Solar Radiation, UV Radiation, some wind averages as applies to hourly/daily/monthly/yearly etc .........................

To be accurate, a Vue console will display solar and UV readings from a VP2 Plus ISS perfectly well, though not quite as accessibly as a VP2 console.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 11:06:37 AM »
Talked with Ryan and decided to purchase the 6323.  It was only $32 more than trying to retro-fit the 6322 with a daytime only fan.
Really nice guy. 
Saw all the comments regarding using my VUE console with the 6323 -- frankly, I don't monitor my console that much -- so as long as I can get important data up to the web -- I'm fine. 
I do appreciate all the comments, recommendations, and cautions.  You guys are much more advanced than I am -- I'm just a hobbyist who dabbles with the weather now and then.
Many thanks,
-gene
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »
 =D>

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2017, 09:37:39 PM »
Talked with Ryan and decided to purchase the 6323.  It was only $32 more than trying to retro-fit the 6322 with a daytime only fan.
Really nice guy. 
Saw all the comments regarding using my VUE console with the 6323 -- frankly, I don't monitor my console that much -- so as long as I can get important data up to the web -- I'm fine. 
I do appreciate all the comments, recommendations, and cautions.  You guys are much more advanced than I am -- I'm just a hobbyist who dabbles with the weather now and then.
Many thanks,
-gene

If you don't mind me asking, what Data Logger are you using to upload your Data?

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »
I hope I'm giving the correct response -- I use Virtual Weather Station software to interface with the web.  Hope that's what you're asking.  If not, try me again -- :)
-gene
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2017, 02:38:38 PM »
I hope I'm giving the correct response -- I use Virtual Weather Station software to interface with the web.  Hope that's what you're asking.  If not, try me again -- :)
-gene
No sir, the data logger is the square thingy that's plugged into the back of the console that allows you to connect to VWS.

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2017, 04:32:01 PM »
Sadly, I have no idea.  I looked and there's no labeling at all -- just a black "thingy" -- I'm pretty sure it came with the software package I purchased.

Just an update on my original issue:  My Vantage VUE ISS died (at least the temp/hum probe did).  I could not find a replacement part so based on excellent recommendations here, I purchased the Davis 6323 Wireless Pro2 ISS and paired it with my Vantage VUE console.  Thank you, Ryan, of Scaled Instruments!

First impression:  The Pro2 is a beast compared to the Vantage VUE ISS.  Clearly a significant step up.  It's probably more system than I need as a slack hobbyist -- but, I decided (with the nudge of a fellow forum member) to move up to a fully aspirated system since I live in FL where it can be brutal in the summer. 

Again, thanks to each of you for helpful replies.

-gene
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2017, 04:42:09 PM »
Sadly, I have no idea.  I looked and there's no labeling at all -- just a black "thingy" -- I'm pretty sure it came with the software package I purchased.

OK, where does the "other end" connect to?

And from whom did you purchase the software package?

anything