Author Topic: Gel on ISS sockets?  (Read 2068 times)

Offline RickNY

• Contributor
    • College Hills Weather - Farmingville, NY
Gel on ISS sockets?
« on: September 09, 2017, 10:52:27 AM »
Sorry if its been asked before, bue does anyone know what gel is used by Davis in the sockets on the ISS and on the sensor plugs themselves?

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
Re: Gel on ISS sockets?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 11:04:23 AM »
Dielectric grease
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline RickNY

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 11:23:37 AM »
I knew that — was wondering if anyone knew anymore more specific - brand, etc.

Offline RickNY

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 12:12:45 PM »
There was nothing smart ass about the response. It was a quick response made from my mobile. Not sure where you get impression that I was trolling for anything other than finding out which dielectric gel is used. I’m replacing the rain gauge on my VP2 with a RainWise and making a new RJ11 connector to connect to the SIM and wanted to make sure it was the same as what may be remaining in the jack. I apologize if you took my response personally.

There are various types of dielectric grease — some better suited for specific applications than others.

Rick
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:15:46 PM by RickNY »

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 12:24:50 PM »
Sorry if its been asked before, bue does anyone know what gel is used by Davis in the sockets on the ISS and on the sensor plugs themselves?
I didn't know that Davis used "gel" in the sockets and plugs, I thought it was something concerned users, especially those in relatively harsh conditions, added themselves when they did their own maintenance.

If Davis does use "gel", probably only they could tell you where they obtain it.  You'd probably have to ask them.  Otherwise, any dielectric grease you obtain from any electronics/hardware/auto parts store I would think would work.

Offline RickNY

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 12:27:29 PM »
Yes, Davis applies gel to the inside of the jacks on my VP2. It’s a reddish-brown color and I’m not sure if it contains silicone or not.

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 12:36:04 PM »
 Let's try and keep this civil please.
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 12:36:26 PM »
Yes, Davis applies gel to the inside of the jacks on my VP2. It’s a reddish-brown color and I’m not sure if it contains silicone or not.

For the benefit of future participants, please let us know what (brand, etc.)  Davis tells you.

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 12:43:48 PM »

I don't know what Davis use but you can use DC4, we use that for Connectors on Aircraft.

BTY: My Davis came dry, I used DC4.

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline RickNY

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 12:52:10 PM »

I don't know what Davis use but you can use DC4, we use that for Connectors on Aircraft.

BTY: My Davis came dry, I used DC4.

Great, thanks. I can always use an alcohol swab to clear out the old before using that. Most appreciated.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 12:52:56 PM »
That's interesting, maybe it's something new they've started with the VP2.  I've used a couple of different brands of dielectric grease, as I recall they've all used silicone and are sort of a clear color.  In fact wikipedia lists dielectric grease under the main article of Silicone Grease. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_grease#As_a_sealant_around_electrical_contacts

Not sure what's on your station, however dielectric grease can help prevent the formation of reddish-brown stuff that doesn't contain silicone.  :grin:

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 12:57:38 PM »
I asked a telephone tech when he installed internet service at one of our facilities what grease they use on their outside jacks. He said you can buy the expensive stuff or get the same thing in the irrigation department of the big box stores. The stuff you put on the wires that will be underground for the water solenoid valves.

This-
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grease-Cap-Kit-for-Valves-4-Pack-57002/100052608
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 01:42:10 PM »
Dow Corning DC4 is "the good stuff".

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 02:12:10 PM »
The product used throughout the electrical and electronic industries specifically for all kinds of connections is: "Sanchem Inc NO-OX-ID A-SPECIAL Electrical Grade A RoHS Compliant coating for electrical installations".
Bell Labs cannot be wrong  :shock:.
Easy to apply and remove, withstands the elements. Also used in power gens, radio huts, towers, all connections, coax, heliax, waveguide, ring grounds, etc.
Sanchem has various other products and formulations for other anti-corrosion uses.
This stuff is suitable for almost anything, and keeps working a long time. I've used it for 50 years, on everything from electrics to trailer hitches.
There are also other spray-on products used for circuit pack/board connectors that are effective.

http://www.sanchem.com/electrical-contact-lubricant.html

"NO-OX-ID "A-SPECIAL Electrical Grade" is the electrical contact grease of choice for new electrical installations and maintenance. NO-OX-ID electrical contact lubricant (electrical contact grease) is an electrically conductive grease that keeps metals free from rust and corrosion. This electrical contact grease has been used in the power industry for over 65 years to prevent corrosion in electrical connectors from low micro-power electronics to high voltage switchgear."

They even quote a publication that I subscribe to  8-):

"Practical Sailor Magazine December 2010 (Consumer Reports for Sailboats) tested NO-OX-ID electric grease and terminal grease lubricant on electrical terminal connectors. They tested the electrical contact grease and electrical terminal lubricant for 1 year in a salt water chamber which is the torture test of wire, crimp connectors and corrosion inhibitors. Their conclusion was that NO-OX-ID electrical  grease outperformed all other greases,  lubricants and corrosion products tested including Boeshield T-9®. According to the Practical Sailor testing, all sections treated with Boeshield T-9® had completely rusted over. “There is only one product choice for long term corrosion performance as an electrical grease and terminal lubricant. The electrical grease NO-OX-ID was the only product to provide lasting protection on terminals, the best value in consideration of the small amounts used and the cost of troubleshooting problems. It is worth paying more for a better coating”."

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 02:24:51 PM by Jstx »

Offline RickNY

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 03:05:30 PM »
The product used throughout the electrical and electronic industries specifically for all kinds of connections is: "Sanchem Inc NO-OX-ID A-SPECIAL Electrical Grade A RoHS Compliant coating for electrical installations".

Thanks Jstx!  That’s exactly what I was looking for. I strongly suspected it may have been that because when I was searching Amazon, that’s what I saw with a picture showing what it looks like on my SIM.

And as far as Bell Labs goes -- I distinctly remember years ago seeing it globbed on inside the network interface box outside the house where our POTS line came in,back when we had POTS.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 03:15:18 PM by RickNY »

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 03:25:23 PM »

Thanks Jstx!  That’s exactly what I was looking for. I strongly suspected it may have been that because when I was searching Amazon, that’s what I saw with a picture showing what it looks like on my SIM.

OK, I forgot to mention that it's a reddish-brown paste, as you or somebody here mentioned.
I have no idea what's in it, used to worry about it having any effects on plastics, but have never noticed such a condition. Seems to be good for everything from huge busbars to the most delicate connections.
I've always also used it when crimping any kind of wire terminals, for any application. Just put a light coat on the bare, stripped wire end (stranded or solid, tinned or not) before inserting it into the terminal barrel and then crimping properly (using the correct dies too).
Five decades of EE and troubleshooting a range of systems have turned up many problems as being simply corrosion working into that interface of wire and terminal.

POTS? I still have a POTS, the plainest of POTS, and it's grossly overpriced in today's telecomms market   :-x.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 03:29:56 PM by Jstx »

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 12:45:23 AM »
Thats interesting, mine came with a neutral colour (not color) :p certainly not brown, I purchased mine back in Feb this year
Kind regards
Bashy

anything