Author Topic: 2016 PCB on 2005 VP2  (Read 5095 times)

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
Re: 2016 PCB on 2005 VP2
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2017, 12:19:11 PM »
The higher the signal strength number, the better.  And I believe that 60 is as high a number as it will go.  So, that's good.

So I wonder then. If the signal strength is as good as it gets per say, then what is causing all the missed packets and CRC errors. Perhaps I will take your suggestion and go out and see if the connection is good between the antenna and shelter. Would I be looking for something loose or?
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »
Not sure that there's necessarily any great mystery here. I don't pretend to know the details of exactly how the wireless protocol works - maybe someone else could chime in - but AIUI the ISS and console rely on independent reference frequencies. The boards will inevitably have some manufacturing tolerance and so you can get a good match between ISS and console, in which case you'll potentially see 100% reception; or you may have a poorer match, but still within specified tolerance for frequency, stability etc, in which case 98% may end up being the figure - it's not uncommon to see this.

Couple of other quick points:

It's best to look at the console screen rather than the Weatherlink output to get % reception figures - if you run WL on eg 1 minute logging intervals, it will quite often show 97-98% (because 1min can be too short a time to assess reception).

Also remember that the console % figure is an average figure since midnight (unless reset manually). So it's not impossible to have extended periods of 100% reception interspersed with shorter periods of eg 80-90% that could be caused eg by some device operating intermittently and generating interference.

TBH 98% is a perfectly good figure for most VP2 systems and you'll likely never be able to track down the source of the slight degradation from 100%, at least short of trying new SIM boards until you find one that is better matched to the console.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2017, 01:22:00 PM »
The higher the signal strength number, the better.  And I believe that 60 is as high a number as it will go.  So, that's good.

So I wonder then. If the signal strength is as good as it gets per say, then what is causing all the missed packets and CRC errors. Perhaps I will take your suggestion and go out and see if the connection is good between the antenna and shelter. Would I be looking for something loose or?

If the signal strength is good, the antenna connection is good - probably.  Although it's possible there is a slightly-loose connection that could interrupt the signal due to vibration, etc.

I would have a better idea if I had more information, things like "Current number of consecutive bad packets.".

What I do suggest at this point, is that there might be local interference on some frequencies.  So, I suggest changing the "Station Number" (DIP switch setting on the SIM, etc.).  And see if that makes a difference in good reception.

One other related question:  are there any other electronic devices near the console?  Perhaps something new?  Cell phone on a charger or ......?

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 04:42:34 PM »

If the signal strength is good, the antenna connection is good - probably.  Although it's possible there is a slightly-loose connection that could interrupt the signal due to vibration, etc.

I would have a better idea if I had more information, things like "Current number of consecutive bad packets.".

What I do suggest at this point, is that there might be local interference on some frequencies.  So, I suggest changing the "Station Number" (DIP switch setting on the SIM, etc.).  And see if that makes a difference in good reception.

One other related question:  are there any other electronic devices near the console?  Perhaps something new?  Cell phone on a charger or ......?

When it comes to current number of consecutive bad packets, I never have more than 1 at a time. I can guarantee you there shouldn't be any local interference since the old PCBA I was using was reporting perfectly. Nothing has changed wrt location, no new cell phone or chargers or anything. Exactly the same transmitting environment. When I go to check the PCBA before Irma crushes me, what exactly should I look for? I don't wanna screw anything up.

Also, what do you mean due to vibration? I do have an AC fan in my ISS but surely that couldn't be affecting the transmitter in the form of vibration right?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 04:44:14 PM by WxLover16 »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 05:26:23 PM »
When it comes to current number of consecutive bad packets, I never have more than 1 at a time. I can guarantee you there shouldn't be any local interference since the old PCBA I was using was reporting perfectly. Nothing has changed wrt location, no new cell phone or chargers or anything. Exactly the same transmitting environment. When I go to check the PCBA before Irma crushes me, what exactly should I look for? I don't wanna screw anything up.

Also, what do you mean due to vibration? I do have an AC fan in my ISS but surely that couldn't be affecting the transmitter in the form of vibration right?

If you have no more than 1 consecutive bad packets, then I would not worry about anything affecting the antenna, etc. etc.  I would not "check" anything.

I understand that the "environment" has not changed, but you changed the PCB.  As johnd said, that could change the transmitter "frequency" just a tiny tiny bit, so there could be some new factors.  Unlikely, but possible.

*IF* you want to fiddle with something before Irma - something that should not make things worse and might make things better - then I suggest changing the "channel" (DIP switch setting) of the transmitter.  Of course, that will require getting the console to recognize the new channel, but that's a straightforward process (see the instruction books).

You've got a day or two before the storm gets to Georgia.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 05:57:52 PM »

If you have no more than 1 consecutive bad packets, then I would not worry about anything affecting the antenna, etc. etc.  I would not "check" anything.

I understand that the "environment" has not changed, but you changed the PCB.  As johnd said, that could change the transmitter "frequency" just a tiny tiny bit, so there could be some new factors.  Unlikely, but possible.

*IF* you want to fiddle with something before Irma - something that should not make things worse and might make things better - then I suggest changing the "channel" (DIP switch setting) of the transmitter.  Of course, that will require getting the console to recognize the new channel, but that's a straightforward process (see the instruction books).

You've got a day or two before the storm gets to Georgia.

I guess it couldn't hurt to do that. BTW, it's already in south Georgia. Should be here by sunrise or so.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 06:24:40 PM »
Question: Is your old ISS transmitter set to the same channel number as the new one?

You might verify that the old ISS transmitter has the battery removed and the super cap is completely discharged. I have seen SIM transmitters keep going for a day or so after taken out of service.

I disconnect the solar panel (or put it into a dark place) and remove the battery. I will also turn on the #4 diagnostic "Test Mode" LED to hasten the demise of the supercap's charge .

I am wondering if the old SIM is still transmitting, zombie-like and corrupting some packets.

By the way, I certainly wouldn't complain about 98% good either...

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 06:31:04 PM »
Question: Is your old ISS transmitter set to the same channel number as the new one?

You might verify that the old ISS transmitter has the battery removed and the super cap is completely discharged. I have seen SIM transmitters keep going for a day or so after taken out of service.

I disconnect the solar panel (or put it into a dark place) and remove the battery. I will also turn on the #4 diagnostic "Test Mode" LED to hasten the demise of the supercap's charge .

I am wondering if the old SIM is still transmitting, zombie-like and corrupting some packets.

By the way, I certainly wouldn't complain about 98% good either...

Greg H.

Actually, I gave my old '05 VP2 to my sister who lives a mile away from me. I took the PCBA that was on my Feb '16 VP2 and put it on her old '05 VP2. It is on the same channel as mine but being a mile away, certainly that couldn't be affecting my transmitter could it? Also, there is a VP2 1/2 a mile away but that never affected my VP2's reception.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 07:13:00 PM »
Actually, I gave my old '05 VP2 to my sister who lives a mile away from me. I took the PCBA that was on my Feb '16 VP2 and put it on her old '05 VP2. It is on the same channel as mine but being a mile away, certainly that couldn't be affecting my transmitter could it? Also, there is a VP2 1/2 a mile away but that never affected my VP2's reception.

Either of those things - particularly the first one - could have enough effect on your reception to cause an occasional lost/bad-crc/whatever packet.

Thanks, miraculon, for asking that leading question.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »

Either of those things - particularly the first one - could have enough effect on your reception to cause an occasional lost/bad-crc/whatever packet.

Well, then, looks like I'm taking a trip to her house and putting the PCBA that came with that old VP2 back on. Had no idea that that could be accounting for my "lower" reception.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2017, 07:41:29 PM »

Well, then, looks like I'm taking a trip to her house and putting the PCBA that came with that old VP2 back on. Had no idea that that could be accounting for my "lower" reception.

Before you tear down the goal posts in celebration that you have resolved your issue, I am very skeptical that a VP2 station a mile away could affect your results. If it does, feel free to tear down the posts...but...
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2017, 08:52:49 PM »
Well, that did nothing. Still same reception, but it's at 98% so I can't complain too much...

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2017, 09:01:31 PM »
Well, that did nothing. Still same reception, but it's at 98% so I can't complain too much...
If it makes you feel better, I'm at 100%.

:-P ;) :roll: =D> :-" UU 8) :-({|=

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2017, 09:07:53 PM »
Didn't I say that....

Emphasis on could.  Perhaps I should have said that it was possible but improbable.

But I also said:
Quote from: dalecoy

Changing the channel would have also eliminated any slim possibility of interference from the other station at her house, and from any other VP2s in the area (provided that they aren't set to the same new channel)

I still think you should do that.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:09:25 PM by dalecoy »

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »

I'm happy for you (but inside I'm strangling you) JK  :-)

Perhaps it will take some time to improve.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2017, 09:42:55 PM »

Honestly Adam, I was 98% yesterday......
See the point? ;)

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2017, 10:18:10 PM »

See the point? ;)

Right on. To repeat (see Reply #4, above), Davis shows 96% in its console manual. Don't lose any sleep on this!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 10:39:50 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2017, 08:12:37 AM »
Roger that on the relocation of the old transmitter. I was thinking that it might be on a shelf in the basement or something...

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2017, 11:46:18 AM »

See the point? ;)

I'm still 98% today, but then again I'm also dealing with Irma if that makes any difference wrt the reception. Chilly, windy, rainy, yucky.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2017, 02:39:19 PM »
Maybe it's cause it's raining, but I've only had 172 good data packets in a row so far today, the lowest I can remember since having a VP2. Reception is still 98% though. Perhaps I shouldn't be sweating it but 172 is not as good as 1-3K in a row which is what I'm used to having.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2017, 03:03:58 PM »
Maybe it's cause it's raining, but I've only had 172 good data packets in a row so far today, the lowest I can remember since having a VP2. Reception is still 98% though. Perhaps I shouldn't be sweating it but 172 is not as good as 1-3K in a row which is what I'm used to having.

So, did you change the "channel", as I have suggested twice?  And are still seeing the same reception statistics?

And have your CRC error statistics improved after changing the channel?

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2017, 03:19:40 PM »

So, did you change the "channel", as I have suggested twice?  And are still seeing the same reception statistics?

I did, but reception went down into the 20s. I think I changed it correctly to the correct channel on the console but for some reason that is confusing to me.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2017, 03:34:02 PM »

I did, but reception went down into the 20s. I think I changed it correctly to the correct channel on the console but for some reason that is confusing to me.

I hope this won't sound harsh - it's unlikely that, if you correctly changed the channel in both places, that the reception would go down into the 20s.  Just changing the channel (on both ends) should not have a giant effect on reception.

The most probable reason for reception in the 20s would be that your console was then receiving data from some other VP2 that was fairly far away.

However, that's just my opinion - let's hear from some other experts on the forum.

And, when convenient, let's try that channel change again. 

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2017, 03:45:27 PM »

I hope this won't sound harsh - it's unlikely that, if you correctly changed the channel in both places, that the reception would go down into the 20s.  Just changing the channel (on both ends) should not have a giant effect on reception.

The most probable reason for reception in the 20s would be that your console was then receiving data from some other VP2 that was fairly far away.

However, that's just my opinion - let's hear from some other experts on the forum.

And, when convenient, let's try that channel change again.

Like I said there is a VP2 1/2 a mile from my house, I suppose I could have been picking up a weak signal from it. When the weather clears up, I will try again. When it started to dip into the 20s, I had a feeling I didn't change it right on the console. But again, I will try again in better weather. I also have a Vue console, but I wouldn't need to do anything to that when changing channels on the VP2 console, right?

I appreciate your help, BTW. It's much appreciated!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2017, 04:36:09 PM »
...I also have a Vue console, but I wouldn't need to do anything to that when changing channels on  the VP2 console, right?

I don't recall you mentioning that before, but I presume you are saying that's an additional console that receives from your VP2.  If that's the case, then you wouldn't need to change the channel on the Vue console (and in fact looking at it's diagnostic screens would be helpful) -- until you decide to stay with the new VP2 channel.

When it started to dip into the 20s, I had a feeling I didn't change it right on the console. But again, I will try again in better weather.

Here is (roughly) the procedure:  Please pardon the "cut and paste".  And tips from folks who have actually done this would be welcome.

1. Power the console if it does not already have power.
The console automatically enters Setup Mode when powered up.

2. If the console is not in Setup Mode, press and hold DONE then press the
down arrow.  This is Setup Screen 1.
The message RECEIVING FROM... and STATION NO. followed by the
Transmitter IDs that the console detects displays on the console screen.

3. Look for the ISS Transmitter ID. The number 1 displays unless the Transmitter
ID has been changed. If the console displays the ISS Transmitter ID, the
ISS is detected.It may take several minutes for the console to acquire
and display a Transmitter ID.

4. Make a note of the station number(s) listed on the screen.  If there are more than one number, then:

5. Press DONE to move to the next screen.
Setup screen 2 allows you to change the ISS transmitter ID

6. Press the < and > keys to select the transmitter ID.
When you select a transmitter ID, the ID number is displayed on the screen as well
as the current configuration.

7. Press the + and - keys to toggle console reception of signals from transmitters using
that ID on and off.

8. Press GRAPH to change the type of station assigned to each transmitter. Scroll
through the station types - ISS, TEMP, HUM, TEMP HUM, WIND, RAIN, LEAF,
SOIL, and LEAF/SOIL - until the correct type appears.

9. Press DONE to move to the next screen.