Author Topic: Strange spike pic WS 1001 clone  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
Strange spike pic WS 1001 clone
« on: September 03, 2017, 04:50:18 AM »
What could have caused this?

Not only did I apparently beat the highest ever temperature ever recorded on earth but as you can see, that spike coincides with some big gusts of wind (genuine as far as I could hear).  During those same couple of hours I notice on the console that the outdoor humidity goes up from 85% to 99% at the same time.  The rain record also looks believable.

Battery problem?     

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
Re: Strange spike pic WS 1001 clone
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 08:07:29 AM »
With winds that strong, rain might have been blown into the shield onto the sensors.

What is strange is the almost straight wind direction graph. I would have expected much more wiping around of the wind vane unless it is somehow very much dampened.

How much rain did you get?
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 10:18:31 AM »
It was only 1.5mm at that point.  It's 13.5 now.

We do get quite a clean wind here so close to the coast, the S and SW winds particularly.  It's not that unusual to see a fairly consistent direction even in strong winds.

I've just noticed that the console has recorded an 80.3kph (50 mph) gust (which is the station record) at 2.57am which coincides exactly with the first temp peak.  The W/G graph apparently misses that and records a 60kph gust at 2.59am which is just before the temp begins to climb.

Obviously it must be something to do with sensors but I quite like the spooky way the first two graphs mirror each other when the anomaly occurs.  The shape it makes reminds me of the shape the aliens put into the mind of that guy in 'Close Encounters'!  :mrgreen:

Offline Rychu

• Contributor
  • Type of station: HP1001WiFi & WH2600IP (WS1400IP)
    • Check on-line measurements and forecasts of Gdansk in Poland
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 12:16:56 PM »
What could have caused this? (...) Battery problem?   

Your weekly measurements

Weekly measurements of neighboring stations - Newquay

The same weather conditions and pitch of the station and anomaly on the graph is not.

This anomaly on the graph may be caused by too close position of the station by the chimney - ventilation duct.

See the location of your station in relation to the chimney_click

Perhaps the channel started to generate a lot of heat?
=========

Another thing is you have a badly attached sensor to the tube_click

Two sets of brackets should be used. See the picture below - visible when logged in  ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:46:20 PM by Rychu »

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 02:20:19 PM »
My station only came with one clamp and it shows to use only one in the manual.  I never really liked the idea but to be fair it hasn't moved.

It is a bit close to the chimney but the boiler hasn't been on.  I can see it making a difference in a due North wind (from the chimney) but that direction is the only one that is obstructed so I know on the rare occasions we get a due North wind nothing much will be reliable.

I watch the local stations and the weather varies quite a bit.  The temperature usually only varies by 3 degrees c but the wind directions can be 180 degrees out.  I know mine is correct because I can watch my weather vane from the window and it always agrees.  The main reason I bought the station was to see what the wind strength really is on our headland because I know it is more than often recorded elsewhere.   

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 04:35:14 AM »
It's stuck on 20.5 this morning.  :-(  And the reading is no longer showing in the little yellow circle on wunderground.  I suppose the temp sensor has failed.  Not very good, the weather station is only 1 month old!

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 07:15:20 AM »
Yes, certainly looks like a failed sensor. As it is only one month old, I would have it replaced under warranty.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 11:07:31 AM »
Now everything from the out door array has failed.  I'm just getting dashes on the console now.  The indoor sensor is still working ok.  I'm going to try a reset as the instructions say ('cause they will probably ask if I have tried that when I take it back) but since the temp sensor failed well before the other things I don't think that is going to fix it. 

A complete failure at 1 month old isn't too impressive!  :roll:

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 10:18:17 AM »
It lives!  (With a reset).  I've taken the opportunity to put a couple of turns of tape around the pole/locking ring joint to stop the small movement I had.  I wonder it this tiny movement isn't setting up a vibration and upsetting the unit over time in the fairly big winds we get here sometimes.  Anyway, we'll see how long it works for this time.. :grin: 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 10:21:32 AM by Transporterman »

anything