Author Topic: Moisture in the ISS  (Read 675 times)

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
Moisture in the ISS
« on: September 02, 2017, 09:06:51 AM »
I was thinking about keeping the humidity level as low as possible in the ISS. Some Models of Aircraft RADAR Wave Guides have Desiccant Cartridges that helps keep the Moisture out. I use them in my Safe to keep certain Items from rusting. I have quite a few Desiccant Packs that I get with my BREA and they are the perfect size and shape for the ISS, they are also rechargeable.

I guess I can seal the ISS with Silicone Sealant but that would be a PITA if I have to get back into the ISS for battery replacement or cable troubleshooting/replacement. Be easier to just change the desiccant monthly or Bi-monthly.

Has anyone here used desiccant in the ISS?

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Moisture in the ISS
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 11:11:38 AM »
I have not used it in the ISS/SIM but the Hydreon (not Davis) optical rain detector came with one originally. I would not advise attempting to completely seal the ISS transmitter module. It needs to breathe (and even drain). Also, with the conformal coating on the PCB, I doubt that sealing the enclosure would be needed at all.

I would make sure that the rubber grommet surrounding the solar cover is seated properly and intact without cuts, etc. Also make sure that the latch at the bottom engages and it is fully closed. The foam piece at the cable entrance should also be in place. Other than that, this is probably one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" things.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

anything