Author Topic: Anemometer reporting direction not speed (new WX)  (Read 4436 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Anemometer reporting direction not speed (new WX)
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 09:21:07 PM »
I'm dealing with the same thing right now.  Got my unit refurbished for $200 about 10 months ago.  All of a sudden this week my anemometer started showing no speed, only direction.  Diagnostic screen on the console shows the reed switch counting every 2 seconds or so.  Battery at ISS is 3 volts so it's fully charged.  Cups are tight and spin perfectly.  No nicks or cuts visible in the cable.  I have no idea why mine suddenly just quit.

I ordered a new anemometer for $105 from SI.  I hate to spend the money but I'm lost and Davis tech support was no help.   :roll:

Your case is different because you had a working unit.
First I would try some contact cleaner where it plugs into ISS.
2nd Inspect wire from ISS to anemometer for nicks.
3rd double check set screw if you haven't already making sure it's tight and cups not free spinning.
Randy

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 04:19:38 PM »
.  Diagnostic screen on the console shows the reed switch counting every 2 seconds or so. 

I'm curious how/where you saw that.  The Statistical Diagnostic screen seems to have the following numbers:

1. number of times the anemometer reed switch was seen closed.
The reed switch closes once each revolution of the anemometer wind cups.

2. number of times the anemometer reed switch was seen open.

Are you saying that both of those numbers increase by one, every 2 seconds?  [Probably 2.5 seconds, actually]?

Or what?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 04:39:47 PM by dalecoy »

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 11:44:53 AM »
.  Diagnostic screen on the console shows the reed switch counting every 2 seconds or so. 

I'm curious how/where you saw that.  The Statistical Diagnostic screen seems to have the following numbers:

Are you saying that both of those numbers increase by one, every 2 seconds?  [Probably 2.5 seconds, actually]?

Or what?

I'll have to check it again tonight.  Once in the diagnostic screen, it took me a while to get the time and date to change to the anemometer switch values.  I was looking at the section that counts times the switch is seen closed.  It was increasing.  I'll check it again tonight and look at both values, closed and open.

My wind cups are installed as per the instructions.  However, I seem to have lost my allen key to remove the cups and that size is impossible to find anywhere locally.  It's so tiny.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 02:57:40 PM »

Or what?

I'll have to check it again tonight.  Once in the diagnostic screen, it took me a while to get the time and date to change to the anemometer switch values.  I was looking at the section that counts times the switch is seen closed.  It was increasing.  I'll check it again tonight and look at both values, closed and open.

My wind cups are installed as per the instructions.  However, I seem to have lost my allen key to remove the cups and that size is impossible to find anywhere locally.  It's so tiny.

1.  If (for instance) the "times open" keeps increasing, but "times closed" does not - that would indicate one possible cause.  If the opposite is true, then a different possible cause.  That's why I kept asking for that diagnostic.

2.  I have heard several instances where "cups are installed per instructions", but removing them and putting "the cups back onto the shaft and make sure to slide them up the shaft as far as possible." fixed the "no wind speed" complaint.  And, not wishing to offend, but if you didn't follow the Davis-documented troubleshooting, then please don't complain about "Davis tech support was no help" or about the cost of a replacement anemometer.

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 03:46:15 PM »

Or what?

1.  If (for instance) the "times open" keeps increasing, but "times closed" does not - that would indicate one possible cause.  If the opposite is true, then a different possible cause.  That's why I kept asking for that diagnostic.

2.  I have heard several instances where "cups are installed per instructions", but removing them and putting "the cups back onto the shaft and make sure to slide them up the shaft as far as possible." fixed the "no wind speed" complaint.  And, not wishing to offend, but if you didn't follow the Davis-documented troubleshooting, then please don't complain about "Davis tech support was no help" or about the cost of a replacement anemometer.

What I meant by Davis being no help is that they only give a 90 day warranty on their refurbished systems,  which in my opinion is crazy for the cost they charge.  And, the technician told me to check battery voltage.  As if a weak battery would cause everything to work fine except wind speed.   :roll:  No help.

I can remove the cups and reinstall, but that isn't the problem.  I've had this system for 10 years and have tinkered with it a lot and I know when the cups are correct.

Was hoping there was something I was missing.  Apparently not.  Guess I'll just have to eat another $105 anemometer.  Seems like there are a lot of anemometer threads here lately.   :-(

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 04:43:18 PM »
Missing something?  Well, perhaps thinking about "reed switch stuck closed" or "reed switch broken" (both repairable problems) -

Or maybe a problem diagnosed with the "wind test cable" -

But, nevermind.  And with your new anemometer, you will receive a new allen key.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 04:46:54 PM by dalecoy »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2017, 05:17:33 PM »
Missing something?  Well, perhaps thinking about "reed switch stuck closed" or "reed switch broken" (both repairable problems) -

But, nevermind.  And with your new anemometer, you will receive a new allen key.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know if Davis' competition (Acurite, maybe?) have these statistical and reception diagostic tools? They really are very helpful and useful tools and this thread got me to try these tools my two DV2s setups. Pretty amazing if you have a problem! All is good on my two setups!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:41:12 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 06:19:54 PM »

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know if Davis' competition (Accurite, maybe?) have these statistical and reception diagostic tools? They really are very helpful and useful tools and this thread got me to try these tools my two DV2s setups. Pretty amazing if you have a problem! All is good on my two setups!

That's a flat out no with Acurite, at least with my Acurite PWS, there is no diagnostic tools like the Davis has.

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 01:56:26 PM »
Just a random note to go along with this thread.  Every time a person has a wind speed issue, the first recommendation is to "remove your wind cups and reinstall them".  I don't understand the thinking here.  The wind cups are designed to slide onto a spindle, and are then secured by tightening a set screw.  Very common design used in dozens of other applications.  Well, you've basically got two options here.  A) The set screw will be loose and/or cups not slid onto the spindle far enough either of which will cause the cups to fall off the spindle. May not happen immediately, but it will happen. B) The cups are slid onto the spindle far enough and the set screw is tight, which means the cups are turning the spindle.

It's a pretty fool proof design.  I don't see how the plastic cups could possibly spin on the metal spindle, at least not for any significant period of time, without turning the spindle.  To me, the cups are either on correctly or they're not.  You're going to know as soon as you walk up to the station whether you've got a problem with your wind cups.

Also I discovered that the allen wrench is a 5/100" wrench.  Good luck finding one of those at a hardware store.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 02:32:30 PM »
  A) The set screw will be loose and/or cups not slid onto the spindle far enough either of which will cause the cups to fall off the spindle. May not happen immediately, but it will happen. B) The cups are slid onto the spindle far enough and the set screw is tight, which means the cups are turning the spindle.

Also I discovered that the allen wrench is a 5/100" wrench.  Good luck finding one of those at a hardware store.

C)  The user didn't get the cups completely "up" on the spindle, when first installed, and now the sensor is not being tripped.

D)  Wear has caused the spindle to slip down slightly, and of course the cups have thus slipped down further from the sensor.  Because of that wear, the cups can now be moved further up the spindle.

E)  The advice is given to someone who has just assembled the device, and it doesn't work at first - because the cups were not fully moved up the spindle before tightening the screw.

==============

And that wrench is available on Amazon, at Home Depot, and at Lowes.  Also, Sears and my local hardware store.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:34:48 PM by dalecoy »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 03:15:44 PM »
Let's remember that the anemometer design changed in 2014. Prior to that the magnet in the cups had to be in close proximity to the anemometer housing otherwise the reed switch wouldn't close reliably. But post 2014 the magnet no longer has to be in the cups but is higher up on the internal end of the spindle (inside what's now called the wind speed cartridge). So as long as the cups are gripping the spindle tightly then speed should be recorded.

So on newer anemometers the 'not fully up' (if you'll excuse the expression  :oops:) issue is unlikely, but still relevant to older style units.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 03:49:14 PM »
So on newer anemometers the 'not fully up' (if you'll excuse the expression  :oops:) issue is unlikely, but still relevant to older style units.

Excellent point.  But it wouldn't be productive for Davis troubleshooting to say "If you have an anemometer made before 2014, remove the cups from the anemometer (loosen the set screw). Put the cups back
onto the shaft......

And on this forum, it's a lot easier to say "Have you followed the troubleshooting instructions...." than to determine what version of anemometer is having trouble.

OTOH, WXman, if you were commenting about the newer version, then of course you are absolutely correct.

Offline crawdad62

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2017, 04:15:19 PM »

When I was researching this I saw talk of the magnet and thought I’d found my problem since I knew my wind cups didn’t even have a magnet. Then I found they had eliminated it (or more correctly moved it internally). I thought I was really onto something  #-o

anything